Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Means "aaa" Game?

KarmicRex

I see a lot here in the forum and don´t understand. What is an AAA game? I imagine the top quality games, but what define quality of a game isn´t the fun we have in the game? So, i have more fun actually with warframe then any other game, but i think people don´t see him as "AAA". Where is warframe in this world? "AA" game? b? Who define what games are better and worse? 

Not trolling, just not sure if i undestand what this AAA means.

It means game developed by well known studio, and published by Valve/EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Bethesda etc.

Basically this means that game is using great engine, has good coding ( partially ) and good storytelling. Or at least we expect that from trailers and all hype created.

What it really means, is that game is developed under serious cash investment from publishers.

Perhaps folks using AAA games are referring to games developed by large gaming companies who invest hundreds of millions of dollars into their games. Think Call of Duty or Battlefield. Anyway, when folks say AAA game, that's what I usually think they mean.

AAA games are your Destiny's, or your CoD's, Halo's and all of that fun jazz.

I don't know what Warframe would be considered.

CoD is not a AAA game. Using the same S#&$ over and over and over and over again for the last 4 years is a waist of money. The last 3 CoD should have been DLC and not a whole new $60 worth of the same S#&$ over and over and over and over again. Halo, Warframe and Elder Scrolls are the perfect example of AAA games. They all offer unique gameplay, a level of art. While 2 of them offer Cooperative play with friends and PvP. While WArframe soul purpose was PvE. Evolving the game to meat a level of need by a different group of player base brings diversity and further enjoyment to gameplay experience. And Halo and all Elder Scrolls have an enriched story and vast lore but offer different gameplay values and evolve to better optimize and increase player experience.

Well just my 2 Cents on a AAA game. Graphics may not matter. Back in the day Phantom Crash a Japanese imported game and very rare and unheard of was and is a very fun game.

Originally the 3 letter rating was/is used to define credit ratings, e.g. of countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_credit_rating I cannot remember the first time this was used in the games industry but as others mentioned already it simply means money put into game and chances to generate just as much and more money back. The only thing that exists in the industry is AAA. No one would say any less of his game but usually only mega blockbusters with giant marketing machines behind it are referring to themselves like that.

AAA game = a bunch of fat cat corporations who are completely disconnected from players, funding expensive game production with talented development studios who then proceed to rip off said developers and disappoint said players by providing a product completely different than advertised when it ships and removing intended content so they can sell it back to you later with dlc

as other have said it only refers to budget not quality