Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Is Supposed To Be "soundless"

Psycomet

[My original post]

Today I faced a 'terrible' bug. Some of the sounds in Neptune archwing mission weren't playing. The result? MIND-BLOWING.

I have wanted to write this since archwing came out... yes so archwing can make sounds in space but why am I hearing enemies firing weapons and bits of ships whizzing past me? IMO there is too much sound in archwing.

Anyone play Deadspace? I do not think anyone will disagree that when Isaac is flung onto outer space and there are no other sounds than his breathing and heartbeat... THAT is the most exhilarating experience ever. Now you will tell me I want WF to sound like other games. No that is not what I am saying.

There is too much sound. Period. It is not realistic. Nor is it cool. I do not want to hear enemies exploding. I just want to hear empty ghastly music and the sound of my own gun and archwing. I do not want to hear Doppler effects of my missiles going peeeewww! I want the archwing to make different sounds giving me cues when I am being shot at. It just does not make sense that I can hear enemies' guns.

In addition, there is no signal or warning sound when hellions lock on to me so it makes the whole 'flares' thing a bit pointless. Hope there is a fix coming for that.

Please heed my call, dearest Sound Team!

A little clarification: Maybe I mushed it all in one paragraph but I think I included something saying that I don't want it to be completely silent. Here's what I'm looking for in terms of feel:

-A little different mixing of sound to create an atmosphere as close as possible to actually being in space. Examples?

----When Archwing is hit it will make a high-pitched "cry" that only the Tenno will hear. The more damage it takes the higher the pitch will be. Also the sound will vary depending on what type of hit it was like rocket, laser or melee.

----Actual sounds of enemy guns firing will be absent/heavily muffled.

----Melee sounds will be distorted heavily but will be amplified to create a sense that the enemy is in yo face.

----There will be beeping sounds when missiles are locked on to you.

-Silence. That is not to say mind-numbing monotonous silence. As someone said in the other thread I made accidentally: "silence is also a sound effect."

-Not just for the sake of realism but also to create a feel that this game mode is much different than other game modes in WF. Hell just distort and muffle all the current sounds and it'd be less frustrating.

-An ominous feeling of destruction and desolation of empty space created by music. <Already there!

Edited by Psycomet

Today I faced a 'terrible' bug. Some of the sounds in Neptune archwing mission weren't playing. The result? MIND-BLOWING.

I have wanted to write this since archwing came out... yes so archwing can make sounds in space but why am I hearing enemies firing weapons and bits of ships whizzing past me? IMO there is too much sound in archwing.

Anyone play Deadspace? I do not think anyone will disagree that when Isaac is flung onto outer space and there are no other sounds than his breathing and heartbeat... THAT is the most exhilarating experience ever. Now you will tell me I want WF to sound like other games. No that is not what I am saying.

There is too much sound. Period. It is not realistic. Nor is it cool. I do not want to hear enemies exploding. I just want to hear empty ghastly music and the sound of my own gun and archwing. I do not want to hear Doppler effects of my missiles going peeeewww! I want the archwing to make different sounds giving me cues when I am being shot at. It just does not make sense that I can hear enemies' guns.

In addition, there is no signal or warning sound when hellions lock on to me so it makes the whole 'flares' thing a bit pointless. Hope there is a fix coming for that.

Please heed my call, dearest Sound Team!

If you don't want sound, then you can always turn your speakers off.

While the no-sound effect in Dead Space (or the distorted-sound effect in Warframe when windows are broken) are awesome, I'd imagine that would get stale very quickly after the first several hours of playing in space. This game (and other games (and numerous movies)) have sound effects in space for this reason.

Edited by SortaRandom

As far as realism goes, apart from the spaceninja logic argument, which by itself may be enough in this case, I think that if an explosion happens in space you actually do hear something. Explosions are, after all, masses of gas expanding at high velocity and while in the atmosphere they cause a radial shockwave, in space you will hear the gas particles crashing onto your visor, causing vibrations and thus sound. The sound would be unfamiliar and distorted, but still.

In the end this is merely an artistic choice. Not realistic? Maybe. Not cool you say? Just you opinion which meh.

I'm perfectly fine with the sounds. The only thing I would complain is the imperator pewpew but thats minor.

As far as realism goes, apart from the spaceninja logic argument, which by itself may be enough in this case, I think that if an explosion happens in space you actually do hear something. Explosions are, after all, masses of gas expanding at high velocity and while in the atmosphere they cause a radial shockwave, in space you will hear the gas particles crashing onto your visor, causing vibrations and thus sound. The sound would be unfamiliar and distorted, but still.

Gas in space isn't thick enough for you to be able to hear anything. Even in the densest areas it's still thousands of times thinner than our atmosphere. There wouldn't even be a shockwave.

Lies. 
Dead Space still has the player hear the extremely muffled gun fire. So even then it isn't "realistic".

You want it to be soundless? No. 
It works (kind of) in Dead Space because it requires a horrific and frightening atmosphere.

Warframe is an action game. It needs sound.

Lies. 

Dead Space still has the player hear the extremely muffled gun fire. So even then it isn't "realistic".

You want it to be soundless? No. 

It works (kind of) in Dead Space because it requires a horrific and frightening atmosphere.

Warframe is an action game. It needs sound.

While it would make sense to be silent, for simple terms of gameplay I would still want sounds to keep it from being boring. I would like to see some changes, though, to play on the fact that you're in the vacuum of space. New explosion animations, maybe  tweak to the sounds. Getting rid of the strange air-resistance shaking from your afterburner...

We need sound, just because it's an action game, but I would love to see them give a bit more immersion in the mechanics and (lack of) atmosphere.

Gas in space isn't thick enough for you to be able to hear anything. Even in the densest areas it's still thousands of times thinner than our atmosphere. There wouldn't even be a shockwave.

TNT doesn't just move air around. When a conventional explosive goes off, the sheer mass of the explosive material gets converted at high velocity into super-pressured gas. If that wasn't true, rockets would be useless in space.

If you place yourself behind the Shuttle's rockets in space, I bet you will hear something. Before you melt, of course.

Your speakers, however, wouldn't work at all, as they are supposed to just move air in proximity and as you said, no noticeable atmosphere exists in space.

Edited by dadaddadada

TNT doesn't just move air around. When a conventional explosive goes off, the sheer mass of the explosive material gets converted at high velocity into super-pressured gas. If that wasn't true, rockets would be useless in space.

If you place yourself behind the Shuttle's rockets in space, I bet you will hear something. Before you melt, of course.

Your speakers, however, wouldn't work at all, as they are supposed to just move air in proximity and as you said, no noticeable atmosphere exists in space.

The reason you hear things in an atmosphere is because air vibrates. There's nothing to vibrate in space, so there's no sound.

A shockwave is the air being pushed around by the force of an explosion. There's none of those in space either.

If you stood under a rocket, and were somehow able to survive, you wouldn't be hearing sound so much as you'd be feeling it. Your ears might pop, if you were somehow able to survive without a space suit, but you wouldn't hear anything. 

The reason you hear things in an atmosphere is because air vibrates. There's nothing to vibrate in space, so there's no sound.

A shockwave is the air being pushed around by the force of an explosion. There's none of those in space either.

If you stood under a rocket, and were somehow able to survive, you wouldn't be hearing sound so much as you'd be feeling it. Your ears might pop, if you were somehow able to survive without a space suit, but you wouldn't hear anything. 

That is what hearing is. Vibrations. When the tympanic membrane vibrates it sends those vibrations to the ossicles. Which eventually transfers to fluid which is picked up by the feathery things in your ear that can die off if you listen to too much music. The entire process is vibration. Its also why we now have technology for allowing hearing through the bones around the ear, and not just the ear itself. Which is useful in loud environments. So technically vibration IS hearing.

Edited by Arlayn

Since there is another thread, I will mark this one to be deleted/merged.

Logically speaking, no archwing doesn't create an 'atmosphere'. Doing that takes the proportions of a planet as big as Earth.

I did not want a completely 'silent' experience, per se. But not just to do space some justice, the mix itself could've been a little better to give a better feel of being in outer space.

Actually, I actually want Archwing missions to be... noisier. Currently, enemies are silent in Archwing games, and thus even though the actual "atmosphere" of Archwing mode is nice, hearing transmissions from enemies would go a long way towards making it feel even more "alive".

Also, I don't mind sound in space in videogames, since an actual soundless game is actually rather boring. Besides there are sound cues that can clue you in on potential danger in Archwing missions, like the sound of Hellion missiles being launched. I'd rather have gameplay first than realism.

Okay let's go over some things and this will be my last attempt:

Firstly, OP has been updated to make my point a bit clearer.

Secondly, YOU CAN'T MAKE SOUND IN SPACE. Period. Go read the physics books. It's not a matter of opinion.

Thirdly, to the people who replied "turn your speakers off", or "mute the effects", I ask, what did I ever do to offend you or the game you love? Namely, nothing. I also love this game but this is always the scenario when someone posts saying "how about this...". No wonder DE is slow at fixing things: we the players can't agree on anything. On top of that, most of us are so reluctant of even considering playing the game a little differently that we don't even give it a chance to see whether we would like it or not. But anywho, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so cheers!

BTW, I stress again the importance of incorporating warning sounds when missiles lock on to us!