Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crits For Sniper Rifles

LittleHalfkin

First off: I know Snipers recently got a some pretty darn good buff a while ago, but quite a few people still think they aren't as rewarding to use.

Current system: All weapons have a crit chance that is affected by mods. And all weapons have a headshot multiplier. Sniper rifles have some better crit chances now but still not the "one-shot wonder" I feel thy should be.

Proposition: Do sniper crits like in Team Fortress 2 (TF2). Snipers in TF2 get random crits when not hitting the head of their target (which is not able to be modded), but head shots are guaranteed to be critical hits and the damage is increased when the scope is fully charged.

Reasoning: Snipers are supposed to be the "one-shot-one-kill" weapons in an arsenal. We basically get random crits and a headshot multiplier already, and crit chance/damage CAN be increased by mods. But the effect is still the same. Still practically random. By making headshots with sniper rifles guaranteed crits, it will reward players for their accuracy. Especially when they stack the normal headshot multiplier with the critical damage multiplier.

Conclusion: Yeah I'm basically asking for another sniper buff, but with the style of the game, fast-paced gameplay, and lack if reward for accuracy and critical a for snipers--I feel like it would be the most needed and most rewarding change for the sniper class weapons.

Pretty darn good? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It was a very small upgrade in crit with a status chance boost given to a gun that didn't even need it to begin with. 

Still no reason to use a Sniper Rifle when most mid-tier rifles and above, as well as the Dread and Paris Prime, can do so much more with less of the hindrances or horrid scopes. 

Pretty darn good? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It was a very small upgrade in crit with a status chance boost given to a gun that didn't even need it to begin with. 

Still no reason to use a Sniper Rifle when most mid-tier rifles and above, as well as the Dread and Paris Prime, can do so much more with less of the hindrances or horrid scopes.

They're pretty good from what they were before is where I'm getting at

OBJECTION!

OP is wrong. Sniper Rifle in TF2 never randomly crits on bodyshot. The only way to score a critical hit without any external support is shooting the head.

2300h of TF2 here. ^_^

And something on topic so I'm not going to get reported for offtop... I'd definitely love to see something like that implemented for snipers in Warframe, have my +1.

Edited by Roxorium

Sounds fine, but. Even if headshots would give me guaranteed crit on Lanka, why should I chose Lanka over Dread? That's right, no reason at all. Thus, sniper rifles need just plain and simple initial critrate buff (maybe with slight base damage nerf), so they won't rely on random (like now) or semi-random (with headshots crits).

OBJECTION!

OP is wrong. Sniper Rifle in TF2 never randomly crits on bodyshot. The only way to score a critical hit without any external support is shooting the head.

2300h of TF2 here ^_^

Perhaps they don't randomly crit on body shot, I haven't played in a while. But when I dd I spent a lot of time on a Deck of Crits server.

Anyways the point was that I'd just like guaranteed crits on headshots like TF2 does

If you want to buff the feel of sniper rifles, remove the damage caps from bosses, or make them more a case of diminishing returns than an outright "You can't do more than X damage to this target sorry". Nothing more frustrating than cutting down a boss with a difficult-to-hit vulnerable spot (Sargas Ruk, Lephantis) over the course of half an hour and thirty sniper bullets, only to realize that a Karak or Soma can cut through them like butter.

They honestly don't need a damage buff, EXCEPT against bosses.

That's just my opinion though. Feel free to disregard.

Edited by DarthCloakedGuy

If you want to buff the feel of sniper rifles, remove the damage caps from bosses, or make them more a case of diminishing returns than an outright "You can't do more than X damage to this target sorry". Nothing more frustrating than cutting down a boss with a difficult-to-hit vulnerable spot (Sargas Ruk, Lephantis) over the course of half an hour and thirty sniper bullets, only to realize that a Karak or Soma can cut through them like butter.

They honestly don't need a damage buff, EXCEPT against bosses.

That's just my opinion though. Feel free to disregard.

I'm not asking for a straight up damage buff per se. Quite simply I'm just asking for 100% critical hit chance on headshot for sniper rifles only., Not a stat boost favoring more damage, just a lot more consistency in damage dealt considering "Hey I just shot you in the head! Why didn't you die!?!" Is basically where we're at right now. Edited by LittleHalfkin

100% Agree, low consistency is really annoying in sniper-rifles. Having crit chance become 100% on headshots will definitely help here, and will also pose an interesting modding question (as I think I said in a previous post months ago): "Do I skip Point Strike to get an additional damage mod, or do I keep it because I am not confident enough that I will be able to headshot every single shot?".

I do not know if it should be a crit chance +100 or a crit chance = 100%. The former might be a bit overkill, considering that all snipers have a DPS equal to or surpassing Quanta (beam, not seconday fire) when optimally built for DPS (yes, including Vulkar). In any case, the important thing is that they should have a guaranteed crit on headshot in my opinion. Otherwise bows are a better alternative as they require much less skill to achieve high damage with.

In my opinion, the sniper rifles still need something which compensates a bit considering that good assault rifles (and that includes the new Opticor) as well as bows out-dpses them and are generally more useful against enemies because of their number. Having an extra mod slot from not having to use Point Strike can help in this, to give more fire rate, faster reload, (more) punch-through and so on, even higher damage helps sometimes, as you can use the raw damage to kill targets even without having to crit.

Edited by NullCurrent

Just checked, Split chamber is still 90%. For 100 % critical chance a base critical of 40%+ would be required, would be overkill on Lanka.

Kind of agree with comments above granted critical head shot hits, would be nice.

And not to forget 100% split chamber. 

First off: I know Snipers recently got a some pretty darn good buff a while ago, but quite a few people still think they aren't as rewarding to use.

Sorry budy, so many mistakes.

"First off: I know Snipers recently got a AVERAGE buff a while ago, AND quite a LOT of people still think they aren't rewarding to use."

xD
Edited by 7grims