Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Serious Question-- What, How Do Tenno Eat?

TethysGrim

I'm trying to write a Warframe fanfic, and I just realized I haven't the foggiest idea how Tenno deal with the most basic biological need after breathing. How do they eat with their mouths totally covered? Do the mouthpieces fold up like Spider-man's mask? Do they use straws hidden somewhere? Does the suit nanofac food directly into their stomachs? I have no idea here.

Help?

I believe the tenno were described as energy that transfers from suit to suit. Therefore, I don't know how they 'refuel' but it likely isn't eating.

That's also why they don't have genders, and are referred to as male or female based upon the 'skin' their wearing at the time.

I choose not to believe the monotenno theory (we're energy which transfers from suit to suit), so I think we just take Warframes off like you would any other suit. 

(I think Vor was just using a metaphor when he described us as energy)

Edit: Revised post in order to not start a flame war. Didn't think the topic was that sensitive.

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

That does not make much sense, since they bleed blood, are susceptible to poison and viral infections, and need to breathe. The dialogue and lore of multiple bosses, and the entire initial questline are very clear indicators that flesh does exist beneath the warframes.

EDIT: Aimed at Arunasoul, hadn't read NearlyDedicated prior to posting sorry

Edited by DarthCloakedGuy

Ever watch Disney Toy Story ? The toy serve they master (kid) as a mindless piece of toy object, but when he leave, they become alive and act like a normal human being.

That goes the same for the Tenno, when the Player.exe turn off, they start to eating by going to the New Loka Restaurant (insert Earth food catch pray here)... hang with the Heix, talking to the Red, asking about business stuff with the...yeh you get the point.

Mono Tenno does NOT mean being an energy being silly commenters. DE even said they're almost human-like. If Tenno WERE energy we wouldn't bleed now would we? Vor said we're LIKE energy with the frames being the "magnifying glass" because we're powerful, and our suits focus the power into specific uses. Also, energy doesn't really breathe.

Anyways, back on track....I'm guessing that Tenno either get nutrients through the suit, or that they may have a way of opening a portion of their helm to consume foods.

Still doesn't mean we're multiple Tenno though.

Edited by ArcariusAero

I believe the tenno were described as energy that transfers from suit to suit. Therefore, I don't know how they 'refuel' but it likely isn't eating.

That's also why they don't have genders, and are referred to as male or female based upon the 'skin' their wearing at the time.

No. That was Vor speaking "eloquently". Tenno are living, breathing beings.

That said, my guess is that they can remove their helmets, seeing as we have alternate helms. Most fanfics describe them as very much human in appearance. However we still don't have anything concrete as to what they TRULY look like.

Mono Tenno does NOT mean being an energy being silly commenters. DE even said they're almost human-like. If Tenno WERE energy we wouldn't bleed now would we? Vor said we're LIKE energy with the frames being the "magnifying glass" because we're powerful, and our suits focus the power into specific uses. Also, energy doesn't really breathe.

Anyways, back on track....I'm guessing that Tenno either get nutrients through the suit, or that they may have a way of opening a portion of their helm to consume foods.

Still doesn't mean we're multiple Tenno though.

Agreed; though I like to think of Tenno as being able to be EITHER "mono" or multiple. It's up to the player and the "lore" they wish to create for themselves. There's no reason why a Tenno can't be particularly fond of just one warframe; just like there's no reason why a Tenno can't be fond of them all.

Anyway, that's off topic so I'll stop there.

Edited by SoulEchelon

No. That was Vor speaking "eloquently". Tenno are living, breathing beings.

That said, my guess is that they can remove their helmets, seeing as we have alternate helms. Most fanfics describe them as very much human in appearance. However we still don't have anything concrete as to what they TRULY look like.

Same here.

If the Tenno really are energy beings, well...

Why do they bleed?

Why do they need oxygen intake in order to maintain their bodies to live?

Why would they/Lotus want to retake the Earth?

Why are shields expended periodically when Tenno are in space, besides the Archwing uses?

And I have no ideas left to question thee, until someone actually comes up with betters ones.

Alright, thanks guys. I think given the multitude of disagreeing stances here I have some narrative wiggle room in my story.

I've decided that a Tenno is a human being under the suit, with skin and everything, but interconnected via multiple neural links throughout the body-- disconnecting is painful and generally inconvenient, but entirely possible. Does that sound reasonable?

Alright, thanks guys. I think given the multitude of disagreeing stances here I have some narrative wiggle room in my story.

I've decided that a Tenno is a human being under the suit, with skin and everything, but interconnected via multiple neural links throughout the body-- disconnecting is painful and generally inconvenient, but entirely possible. Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds cool to me. However there's no need to look for our consent in this sort of thing - you do you; it's your story. Just remember to have fun and enjoy yourself while writing it.

I wrote a little story myself long, looong ago. It didn't get many hits, but eh - I enjoyed writing it and that's what mattered to me. If you like, you can take a look: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/182514-fanfiction-yggdrasil/?p=2126663 It's based off the "multiple Tenno" principle, and it details a Tenno mercenary group during the Cicero Toxin event.

It's up to the player and the "lore" they wish to create for themselves.

That did a brilliant way of summarizing the exact wrong way to look at Warframe. Look up the term "false dichotomy". The idea expressed by your statement creates a non-existent choice: Choice A means that I invent my own story and DE never has to worry about writing a pesky game narrative, but rather just toss out bits of convoluted lore here and there; Choice B means I want DE to write a game narrative (not lore), which paints me as an unimaginative player that needs to have DE hold my hand with this annoying "story" thing. There is more to it than that.

Unfortunately, I can remember once in a DevStream where Steve made a comment essentially agreeing with your viewpoint, which likely also means I am in a very small minority. As such, there is no point in bringing this topic into that, so back on topic:

Now, if there was an actual fully established canon written by DE for Warframe and you are writing fan-fiction, there is a certain... flexibility one can take with the said established canon. So I think there is a safety in the OP going whatever route he/she wishes with his/her work.

That seems like a very plausible explanation. I'd love to read the work once you are finished, if that is alright. :-)

That did a brilliant way of summarizing the exact wrong way to look at Warframe. Look up the term "false dichotomy". The idea expressed by your statement creates a non-existent choice: Choice A means that I invent my own story and DE never has to worry about writing a pesky game narrative, but rather just toss out bits of convoluted lore here and there; Choice B means I want DE to write a game narrative (not lore), which paints me as an unimaginative player that needs to have DE hold my hand with this annoying "story" thing. There is more to it than that.

Unfortunately, I can remember once in a DevStream where Steve made a comment essentially agreeing with your viewpoint, which likely also means I am in a very small minority. As such, there is no point in bringing this topic into that, so back on topic:

Now, if there was an actual fully established canon written by DE for Warframe and you are writing fan-fiction, there is a certain... flexibility one can take with the said established canon. So I think there is a safety in the OP going whatever route he/she wishes with his/her work.

That seems like a very plausible explanation. I'd love to read the work once you are finished, if that is alright. :-)

You're heavily overthinking my statement. I never stated nor even insinuated that DE should be leaving the general lore of this game up to the players. I was talking about the lore surrounding the players' character(s) themselves.

Look at other games that have a large, sprawling, if perhaps mysterious or even not so mysterious story. Players with creative minds will not simply create a character and play the game. They'll actually MAKE a living, breathing person with perhaps a real name, maybe their own backstory, or their own strengths and weaknesses. A.k.a., they will make a character to Roleplay as. That was what I was talking about in my post: Making lore that directly connects your character to this universe.

Edit: I'd like to also add, that the post you quoted was towards the question Arcarius was touching on: Are the warframes inhabited by One Tenno or Multiple Tenno? My answer was that it could be both, and that it's up to the player whether their Tenno (or Tennos) occupy just one or all of them. DE left this part of the lore ambiguous enough to have both sides of that argument be viable. That's basically what my post to Arcarius was about.

Edited by SoulEchelon

I imagine they eat rations stolen from Grineer and Corpus vessels. How they eat? I'm with the people that say the Warframe is a suit and just take off the helmet when they need to, or it folds into their warframe. If not, theres always the emergency induction port.

I'd imagine with our super high-tech suits we don't really "eat" so much as all our bodily functions are maintained with void energy and other various space magic rather than chemical energy from food, as for how we would regenerate with the lack of proteins I have no idea, maybe the science that allows us to live on void energy also completely halts natural body maintenance rather than overclocks it and nano-machines take over the reparation processes.

Unless we're literally crossing 73 to 937 AU in an instant (AU being the distance between the Earth and the Sun) when we go from maybe Mercury to Sedna... and this is assuming both Mercury and Sedna are on the same side of the sun... chances are Tenno do their business during travel and when we're logged off.  Logging in and seeing our Tenno munching on KubrO's might be cute, but also jarring, and it kind of kills their image.

I'm of the opinion that Tenno can remove at least their helmet, but are probably incapable of removing their suit, it having been "built around them" though that could be taken too literally in this case.

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, MAD_137 said:

This forum is outdated, and the answer has not been answered yet

Now we know the Tenno is a child, an immortal child with supernatural powers incapable of aging...

yeah I still don't know if they need to eat 

Assuming human biology, they can eat and drink, but have probably been raised/attached to nutrient drips or at the very least have a significantly bland diet as it has never really been a thing for them. Their gut bacteria probably wouldn't allow them to eat any "exotic" things without significant issues.

They're bubble kids, mostly acclimated to the Orbiter's decontamination/medical facilities. (Foundry can probably diagnose and develop remedies for any issues).

Helminth, while "biological", is likely more a nano-biotech than filth/disease ridden. Wonder if certain strains could be used as a food paste...

3 hours ago, MAD_137 said:

This forum is outdated, and the answer has not been answered yet

Now we know the Tenno is a child, an immortal child with supernatural powers incapable of aging...

yeah I still don't know if they need to eat 

1. This particular thread is six years old.
  2. Tenno are not immortal and do age normally, otherwise Rell would still be very alive.