Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Picking A Secondary Weapon

Altrunchen

Question

Hey guys so I'm trying to pick out a secondary weapon to get and I can't make up my mind between several things:

-Ak Vasto

-Ak Magnus

-Or stick with my Angstrum (which despite it's power I don't know if I like using)

What do you guys reccomend I do?

18 answers to this question

Hmm, so if you invest in it enough, you can get a lot of milage out of vasto, is that what you're saying?

Indeed. But this also goes for any weapon. That's the beauty of Warframe (took me a while to understand).

Here's how you are successful in Warframe:

-Choose a Warframe you like, based on powers, playstyle, and possibly aesthetic design.

-Choose weapons you like based on function, playstyle, and possibly aesthetic design.

-Pump as many forma as you want into your Warframes/Weapons until they scale with the maps/levels well.

-If you don't like a weapon anymore, change to another one (see step 2).

-Find a supportive, cool clan that fits your playstyle.

-Come to the forums regularly!

At least, that's my process. As far as AkVasto goes...again, yes. If you really wanna use it, you can use it anywhere. 

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Gah, I love these types of threads.

AkVasto is good, all around. I love my trusty revolvers! :D

AkMagnus is also a favorite secondary of mine, but it's only useful for impact damage.

Angstrum..haven't tried, actually. 

So I'd say AkVasto if you want a good, trusty, all around set of guns. Fast fire rate, fast(ish) reload, and decent damage.

AkMagnus is definitely worth a later build, though...especially against higher-level Corpus units.

Akbolto is actually my favorite clicky-pistol, but of the two you listed, I liked Akvasto more than I liked the magnus, and Angstrum I liked above all clicky-pistols. However, if you pick the Angstrum, you can't use a sniper, launcher, or bow as a primary.

That's one of the reasons I don't like the Angstrum very much :T. It's pistol-sized but it requires sniper ammo so it just doesn't feel practical. Also, it just feels awkward to use with it's charge shot mechanism. Hence I want the clicky pistols. So okay, why do you recommend the Akvasto over the magnus exactly?

Gah, I love these types of threads.

AkVasto is good, all around. I love my trusty revolvers! :D

AkMagnus is also a favorite secondary of mine, but it's only useful for impact damage.

Angstrum..haven't tried, actually. 

So I'd say AkVasto if you want a good, trusty, all around set of guns. Fast fire rate, fast(ish) reload, and decent damage.

AkMagnus is definitely worth a later build, though...especially against higher-level Corpus units.

I have to admit, the vastos look really boss B). I may just go ahead with those. Are they any good in the late-game?

1st.. Good for you angstrum sucks and is noobish... Either of the 2 you mentioned are decent weapons. Despair is IMO by far the best secondary weapon.

Despair? Is that a clan-weapon?

It sort of depends on what your primary weapon is. Angstrum is fine if your primary is something nice and automatic or general purpose in use (as in, not another launcher, bow, sniper rifle, torid, etc). Makes for a decent secondary in that you won't always need it.

In terms of those you listed, I absolutely love Akmagnus, but it has some serious downsides compared to Akvasto, primarily with reload speed. It has other nice stats, but the reload speed really kills the whole deal. Damage is also slightly higher on Akvasto (albeit, in Slashing), which isn't a huge deal, but it does effect your total damage output when you slap on all the elements. Akvasto is definitely more in the range of general purpose and useful to me.

Personally, I use Marelok, because it just solves all of life's problems.

Akmagnus are objectively flat-out better then Akvasto, but Akvasto are by far the cooler weapons. However, I'd also like to mention the Aklex as an alternative because you simply have to buy two Lex..es as opposed to crafting them.

Despair is one of Stalker's weapons - his throwing knives.

Edited by Brimir

I have to admit, the vastos look really boss B). I may just go ahead with those. Are they any good in the late-game?

It would need a few forma (mine have four), but they can definitely take the dedicated player to late game (pun not intended). And you get the Despair by chance after killing the Stalker...the bp has a chance of dropping.

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

It sort of depends on what your primary weapon is. Angstrum is fine if your primary is something nice and automatic or general purpose in use (as in, not another launcher, bow, sniper rifle, torid, etc). Makes for a decent secondary in that you won't always need it.

In terms of those you listed, I absolutely love Akmagnus, but it has some serious downsides compared to Akvasto, primarily with reload speed. It has other nice stats, but the reload speed really kills the whole deal. Damage is also slightly higher on Akvasto (albeit, in Slashing), which isn't a huge deal, but it does effect your total damage output when you slap on all the elements. Akvasto is definitely more in the range of general purpose and useful to me.

Personally, I use Marelok, because it just solves all of life's problems.

Well, at the moment my primary is a lvl 30 Braton, but I hope to someday unlock the Lanka and finally be a sniper. That or by some stroke of fate get Boltor Prime.

Also, when I use my oberon, I have almost no use for Angstrum because all I need to do is use his AOE powers to do what Angstrum does at the cost of sniper ammo. So that's why I kind of want something else. Also, yeah I've heard there is this Grineer weapon that is like a pistol but does rifle damage but I'm not high enough level to build that yet unfortunately (which is annoying).

Akmagnus are objectively flat-out better then Akvasto, but Akvasto are by far the cooler weapons. However, I'd also like to mention the Aklex as an alternative because you simply have to buy two Lex..es as opposed to crafting them.

Despair is one of Stalker's weapons - his throwing knives.

Hmm, so it seems we have a disagreement here between you and direcyphre. What makes you say that magnus is better than vasto?

It would need a few forma (mine have four), but they can definitely take the dedicated player to late game (pun not intended). And you get the Despair by chance after killing the Stalker...the bp has a chance of dropping.

Hmm, so if you invest in it enough, you can get a lot of milage out of vasto, is that what you're saying?

Indeed. But this also goes for any weapon. That's the beauty of Warframe (took me a while to understand).

Here's how you are successful in Warframe:

-Choose a Warframe you like, based on powers, playstyle, and possibly aesthetic design.

-Choose weapons you like based on function, playstyle, and possibly aesthetic design.

-Pump as many forma as you want into your Warframes/Weapons until they scale with the maps/levels well.

-If you don't like a weapon anymore, change to another one (see step 2).

-Find a supportive, cool clan that fits your playstyle.

-Come to the forums regularly!

At least, that's my process. As far as AkVasto goes...again, yes. If you really wanna use it, you can use it anywhere. 

Huh...nice. And here I was worried that if you didn't min/max just right that you'd be screwed in the late game. :)

What makes you say that magnus is better than vasto?

The Akmagnus will hit harder due to better critical hit statistics (25% vs. 15% Critical Hit Chance and 200% vs. 150 Critical Damage). The only advantage of the Akvasto is 1.8 seconds reload vs a whooping 3 seconds for Akmagnus. However, as I said, also consider the Aklex - they have greater base damage than either of the two (Akvasto/Akmagnus are around 50 base damage total, Aklex is around 70) while still having decent critical hit statistics (20% Critical Hit Chance and 200% Critical Damage) and the same 3 seconds reload of the Akmagnus.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that the Akvasto deals Slash damage, the Akmagnus deals Impact and the Aklex deals Puncture so they'll be specialized in fighting different things.

Edited by Brimir

The Akmagnus will hit harder due to better critical hit statistics (25% vs. 15% Critical Hit Chance and 200% vs. 150 Critical Damage). The only advantage of the Akvasto is 1.8 seconds reload vs a whooping 3 seconds for Akmagnus.

Wow that is a long reload time. I know one thing I already dislike about the Angstrum is it's long reload time and it's tiny clip so if the magnus really does take that long to reload I may just go with vasto after all :T.

1st.. Good for you angstrum sucks and is noobish... Either of the 2 you mentioned are decent weapons. Despair is IMO by far the best secondary weapon.

Angstrum is awesome, not noobish at all... A lot depends on your build, many people don't know how to build it (multishot, firerate and magazine size are key.) Built right, 1 charge shot can shoot something like 16 rockets on average (doing 14k dmg apiece, and 50% status chance...) Admittedly, some of the mods for this are rare, and need some serious fusion cores to max. My build (a little outdated, I should revisit it): http://goo.gl/ObMdw8

Despair is a ton of fun, but super rare (and generally speaking, hikou prime is probably better, at least if you care about status proc chance...) I wouldn't consider it one of the best, personally.

I'm personally a huge akbolto fan, I started using it when I first started playing, and even now, at Mastery 12 I still love to use it (and it holds up at endgame.)

Edited by Snowman486

Thanks for the help guys, I decided to go with Akvasto since it reloads very quickly, I like the look of it, and well, I'm able to shoot so many enemies with one bullet with a multi-ranked Hornet mod on it. So I think I'll be happy with this choice for a while. :)

Thanks again!