Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fastest Damage Dealing Melee

Fujitsu

Question

I would say the Dual Ether is the highest overall damage dealer. If you just wanted to deal with grineer, definetly the Fang, since every basic attack actually strikes three times.

My vote goes for mult- charged attacks from a furax.

My vote goes for mult- charged attacks from a furax.

I do feel that Dual Zorens correctly modded can top this by pure charge speed.

Also the Furax aren't multi-hit weapons nor cutting as requested by the OP. Doesn't change the fact they are awesome, though ^^

Edited by Dusklite

Also the Furax aren't multi-hit weapons nor cutting as requested by the OP. Doesn't change the fact they are awesome, though ^^

Aff if thats what OP wants then use a DHS and spam charged attacks....right now the most broken melee if the devs dont buff normal damage.

Aff if thats what OP wants then use a DHS and spam charged attacks....right now the most broken melee if the devs dont buff normal damage.

Mmmh. Yeah the dual heat swords are pretty nice. Sold them anyway. :D

I guess you're right, though. Totally forgot about them.

I <3 using melee weapons, and I've tried out most of them.

Currently only not tried out Dual Skana, the individual heat sword/dagger, the ether daggers, Gram, and Amphis, everything else to at least 10.

The 'best' weapon for you depends very much on your playstyle and personal preference. For example, I am terrible at using melee weapons as utilities, hence amphis vs bo isnt listed below.'

Edit: I totally intended to end my response here originally. Curse my perfectionism, a half hour spent for no good reason.

Best weapons fulfilling a niche, IMO:

Dual Heat Swords are incredible anti-Boss/Heavies/Ancients due to the ability to run in and out of melee range without interrupting dps.

DHS are lackuster against everything else due to dealing incredible overkill, slowly.

Furax are better dps than DHS at above, but the tiny range and faster charge time makes running in/out of bosses' melee impossible (good for Rhino/Loki/Ash). Dark Sword is similar, with increased range making this possible (but still very challenging) but with a DPS loss.

Scindo/Fragor (charged setup) is equally effective as DHS against bosses/heavies, but instead of running in and out you're ideally trying to hit them at the very edge of your charged attack range, leaving you standing just outside most bosses melee range.

Scindo is the best anti-infested Auto Attackers, just above Dual Ethers. Better range is gained for a loss of dps to Ancients, generally made up for by a higher jump attack damage/radius and a stronger execute.

Dual Ethers are best 'ignore tactics and spam the melee button' anti-infested/grineer Auto Attackers, dealing approx dps as Dual Zorens or Scindo against regulars but much more damage to Ancients. Also allows for speed boost by abusing slide attack.

Fang is best anti-Grineer Auto Attacker dps wise, but less utility than Dual Ethers as it wont stun/stagger the mobs you are hitting and has a shorter range. Also allows for speed boost by abusing slide attack (fastest of the mentioned weapons).

Dual Zoren are incredible against individual normals in midgame, able to one shot with charged attacks up to level 30 Grineer/Corpus with an incredibly fast charge time. Even when an extra attack is needed you generally fire off two attacks ~the same time as one for another regular weapon. Also allows for speed boost by abusing slide attack.

Dark Sword fulfills the same niche as DZorens, but it's only able to hit one target at a time. Good for early game Grineer/Corpus/Ancients, but lack of AoE reduced feasibility in later levels where you never encounter single opponents. Similar to the Furax with increased range for a DPS loss.

So yeah. Little bit of wall of text there.

TLDR:

There ISNT a best melee weapon, or even a 'best damage dealing melee' weapon. Its entirely based on playstyle and personal preferences.

I switch between 5 melee weapons regularly. Good gods I can't wait for a mods system that stores choices.

Edited by Darzk

So what mods would i put for the dual zoren? o-o Would u go for quick swipes or charged attacks? crit rate is higher on auto melee

Dual Ethers has taken Dual Zoren's spot as the Auto-Attacker of choice against Infested.

Dual Zoren remains best-in-niche only with a Charged Attack Build

Focus on +Charge Damage +EveryElementButElec, then +RoF/RoCharge, the crit damage (or %, or a mix of both, its all about the same - tied for worst! :D)

If you compare DZ charge to Dual Ether Swords, no they won't. Innate armor pen, max reflex coil enjoy. 

IE: DES can 5 shot Phorid (4 charged attacks), which is lag input and all, ~4s. Can dual zorens achieve same? TTK wise not number of charged attacks.

If you compare DZ charge to Dual Ether Swords, no they won't. Innate armor pen, max reflex coil enjoy. 

IE: DES can 5 shot Phorid (4 charged attacks), which is lag input and all, ~4s. Can dual zorens achieve same? TTK wise not number of charged attacks.

You realize that my post was about comparing DZ to Furax?

I haven't (yet) played with DES and before I do I'm totally ready to believe you in anything you say about them. They sound pretty nice.

ALL CHARGED ATTACKS IGNORE ARMOR

A charged attack from Dual Zorens do slightly more than half (55%) the damage of a charged attack from Dual Ethers

You can charge attack twice with Zorens for each DE charged attack;

Thus DZ has more Charged dmg/sec, but has a shorter range.

Does the +melee attack mod affect how much dmg u wud do in a charge?

No.

@DarkZ: I have to correct you on the DHS. They are great against everything else as well due to their multihit ability. Their charged attack is slow, yes, but you can kill up to 3 enemies with one swing. Which is great for anti-infested-stun-lock hit and run.

And a correction on the dark sword as well: Due to its very high charge dmg, you can one-charge-hit even lvl55 grineers. Thus it's quite the opposite of your conclusion: The higher the level the stronger the dark swords become.

I use the DHS in a similar manner. It's effective, it just doesn't give you the fastest kill time, b/c your spending extra time charging to deal overkill damage much of the time.

My point for Dark Sword was more as you hit higher levels, you rarely see opponents come at you one at a time, so splash damage becomes more valuable. Starts to become a cluster***k of 40 guys in heavy armor hanging out on the same walkway, lol.

Srry for necro but last question, instead of creating another post:

Scindo or Dual Zoren for charge attack? Can a DZ out dps a Scindo, im going to assume choosing b/t these two will be based off of personal preference.

The big difference between the two is the drastic effect the animation has on the charge swing speed for heavy weapons (you use Fury to reduce this).

Charged attack spam from Dual Zoren will GREATLY (15-20%?) out dps Scindo without Fury on either weapon.

Charged attack spam from Dual Zoren will SLIGHTLY (like 7%) out dps Scindo with Fury on both weapons.

Charged attack spam from Scindo will SLIGHTLY out DPS Dual Zoren when Scindo has Fury and DZ does not.

Scindo has a longer reach.