Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Doesn't This Happen Anymore :(

Implodingbanana

They got rid of that animation because enemies would continue standing even after being dealt thousands of overkill damage and would block projectiles and such (basically forming an impenetrable wall for several seconds, clogging entire hallways with ease). It was incredibly annoying, and I'm glad that it's gone.

But yeah, animations like the ones in the OP (and basically any of these "little things" that adds a bit of grittiness to the game's atmosphere in general, such as the panicked screaming of the capture targets somewhere around U7 or so or the ability to shoot off Infested limbs back before I joined the game) are awesome. Why they continually get removed one after the other is kinda beyond me.

i hope they put it back with fixes though so that it doesn't affect the rest of the game

If memory serves they removed them for 2 reasons.

1: Nekros' desecrate wouldn't work on dying enemies.

2: Fire/poison etc. death animations made invincible walls.

Both of these would be easily worked around but i hate to say, DE took the lazy way of fixing it.

i only hope DE puts it back in with fixes

They took out a whole bunch of the gore.

Probably cause it became more popular and they didnt want to catch the PC crowd.... or whoever complains about that stuff.

That.

They've removed many of the gory death animations during the transition to Damage 2.0 probably because to give the game a broader mass appeal rather than being a gore fest. And probably also to prevent the game from being rated M which happened nearly at the same time back last year, but they failed on that one.

I wouldn't wonder if they are eventually slowly toning down all the gore to basically non-existent to get back to a milder ESRB rating. The M-rating surely locks them in their marketing.

At least I bet they removed most of the blood effects - especially the blood-decals that got splattered all over the walls and floors - during U14 for the same reason earlier this year. The update notes can be found here, it is listed in the changes but nearly nobody noticed and nearly nobody complained:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/263213-update-14-the-mad-cephalon/

I just don't believe that they removed them because "they caused fps drops" like has been stated in the official update notes because games do decal-stuff for about 2 decades and never faced any slowdowns because of that, especially games like the Unreal Tournament, Quake or Doom franchises. They never caused any problems on my computer before the point of removal - not even with heavy bleed procs - and also with the high amount of other particle effects present in Warframe this is just ridiculous why it couldn't just have been a slider in the options of how much blood you want. So it is probably just another stupid marketing-excuse backed-up by a superficial developer statement like many companies do to justify a change that absolutely wasn't necessary at all but gives them a marketing advantage.

Also the last events toned down the heavy insulting between factions in cinematics and overall... there's basically nothing like that anymore. I bet we will never hear something like the Corpus refering to Lotus as an "eyeless slag" ever again. Also ever since both the Grineer and Corpus have their own language the only real noticable insult we are still facing is "Tenno Skoom!", probably because that one is too popular and if they'd ever remove that half the forum would end up raging.

At least they haven't tried to come up with new, serious insults ever since Gradivus Dilemma and that just shows me that they don't want to take any risks anymore.

The game just slowly blends in with all the rest of the mass-appeal games they are more and more trying to copy anyways (next up being the Hearthstone ripoff for the cardgame on the hubs) and "warframize" (a.k.a the uninspiring act of making something desperately fit Warframe that doesn't fit Warframe at all but doing so anyways because it is popular in other games). With every major update where new major features are trying to overshadow all the other stuff/small details that get removed. Which is sad, but true. ^^

Edited by MeduSalem

Way bigger audience, more young teens playing, kids playing etc.

Like the guy above said the S#&$talk was a lot of fun previously, now its just: hurr durr you cant get my ships you big DUMMY!

COD F**k bombs are everywhere, but not a single drop of blood and gore.

Even when i use the 50 cal minigun and a frigging missile launchers on the target.

Herp derp.

My guess is that the gore has been reverted back to alpha stage at some point (still doesn't explain why the left arm of humanoid enemies practically always flies off). Take a look at these next pictures to see what I mean.

Left arm from a Grineer in the present.

o1JBVK5.jpg

Now look at this zombie from alpha.

w0v0LMx.jpg

That left arm looks much like it belongs to that zombie with no armour or clothing that is going to stick to their arm if it were to fly off. This also happens with other body parts.

What gore needs now is not more gore but precision to make a gore look better.

Examples: Bullet holes/cuts, blood splatter over objects (most of the time the blood is floating off the ground), and having the correct place to be hurt (not the left arm).

I believe they changed it due to the fact that it was hard to tell when they were actually dead for any new player. While you would "eventually" learn what to look for in a death animation, it was deceiving and made you second guess yourself after an enemy died, and thus slowed down the pace of fights. I can't remember when they took it out, but I remember being relieved when they did. I'm an animator myself, so it's sad to see such great animation work removed from the game, but I remember them slowing down the pacing, so it's a mixed feeling really.

perhaps they could be re-implemented in a way that is clearer to read so that you "know" they are already dead, I dunno, but then the question comes into play, "can you still cut them up and shoot them full of wholes while they are dying?", cause then the sense of Tenno Brutality would be even stronger, so, it might approach levels of disturbing if you were to cut a guy in half after he already dropped his gun and was burning in agony....but hey "SUPER KAWAII ANIMATION!!!!"

its the small things most of us miss the most so it's not noticeable at first when they're removed

I knoiw about small things and how they affect other things. 

Not only in games, in real life too, these small things can have bigger influence then the big ones, but again, if you aren´t missing it then it isn´t important.

I knoiw about small things and how they affect other things. 

Not only in games, in real life too, these small things can have bigger influence then the big ones, but again, if you aren´t missing it then it isn´t important.

i miss it now D: but of course this isn't high priority but it's still pretty cool to have all these animations and effects happen.