Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Music Preview: Derelict & Void

[DE]Rebecca

Orokin Void

I honestly have to say, that the Void prospective track is extremely well done. If it's meant to feel like ancient eyes are judging your trespass on supposedly sacred ground...bravo, because I feel pretty darn transgressive. Perhaps I've too much experience with monastic ruin sound pieces, but it sure does make me feel...out of place. It's giving me a rather overt 'I can't afford to linger' feeling.

Beyond that, I get this creeping sensation of underlying pride/dominance. The Orokin are gone, yet that track almost...sneers at me. These Towers remain, despite the efforts of the Sentients, the Tenno, the Infested and even the Void itself. I half expect to see some figure lurking in the shadows in the Void, faint smile as they merely dismiss your presence in their domain, leaving you to the other trespassers. Or simply a figure you wouldn't believe is there unless you're really looking for them, like Ulysses' appearances in The Lonesome Road in Fallout: New Vegas. It's that kind of feeling of unease.

There is intent in that music, and it unnerves me to the core as I get as much malice from it as I do indifference. Good job.

Admittedly unsure about the middle bit, mind, but the choral stuff certainly gets under my skin as described above.

Orokin Derelict

Much as with the Void, this is very well done. It's unsettling, just like the Void is, and yet it's far more 'present'. Gone is the Void's absolute defiance, replaced instead with a distortion unclear. Shadows, creeping out of fractured panels...lights, guttering over millennia as Technocyte consumes the environment. There's a danger here, compounded by the fact that even despite all this, the undercurrent of Orokin supremacy for the 'whole' sections is still there. For an empire that fell silent, it sure makes disturbing echoes even now. Even if that's through an Infested choked ruin...

Over all, the Orokin certainly are a haunting memento in these pieces. Between the Infested and the feeling of supposed Orokin ghosts...these places are not supposed to be lingered within.

Excuse me, I need to go hug my sword...

I really like the choir and drums of the void. But the violin part seems a little too... alive. It feels like the Orokin haven't actually abandoned these ships for three thousand years. and are still present and using the space like normal. Perhaps that is the intent though, but it could use a little tweaking to feel more like a haunting of life than an actual presence and inhabitation. Does that make sense? 
If we ever encounter an active Orokin ship with real Orokin people it would be more fitting. 

Edited by LukeAura

Wow this is fantastic I really, really, REALLY like the way this sound is going its so much more immersive than the current music. I am looking forward to hearing the combat pieces for both areas but especially the void, it really is like something from a film truly am very happy with this direction. For me it truly brings about thoughts and feelings of an ancient age now lost but forever present within the void, echoes of the past, present and future lie within the void. Its brilliant truly well done DE George and the sound team you have done a fantastic job.

As a poor starving musician this does things to me.

Strange, "I need new pants" kinds of things...

The derelict music especially reminds me a lot of the ambient music from the Silent Hill series.

Unnecessary innuendo aside, I need this now.

Right now.

No exceptions.

I demand a music hotfix.

Now.

Do it.

Really.

Now.

After listening a few more times, I can say why I love the Void track so much.

It begins with the dark, foreboding anthem. These towers lay in ruin as a once proud, noble empire fell. And yet, here they still stand a testament to the Orokin. Neither time, the Sentients, nor the void could remove their influence. While the empire might have died, their legacy will live on for those willing to look and learn.

Love the Void music!!!!

It evokes the majesty and the awe of a cathedral. Wish I coud get this music to be the default music in my dojo. Would like to accompany this beautiful music with my ''bell organ'' in my dojo. I actually have a cathedral build in my Grand Hall complete with a ''Organ'' that is more of a glockenspiel made from the bells and other meshed dojo decorations.

I love both of these pieces. I actually think the happier, majestic portion of the Void music is the best part. It's hard to describe, but I feel like this piece brings out the character of the set. I think that this music is coming to be a quality and style on the scale of Halo - chanting aside. I love it.

Is there any projected date for implementation? Obviously they are in WIP phase but could we expect them before or after U16? If you don't have an estimate, I understand. I'm just really excited and look forward to seeing these in action.

Oh, and I hope you all make a soundtrack when there's enough pieces. Maybe make each theme one long piece that blends between the dynamic and ambient portions of each theme, just like in game.

*Edit* A comment: It would be lovely at some point to explain your process for developing these pieces! As a budding game designer I'm fascinated on what you did. Great work here.

Edited by Garuda112

lets go in order.

im more than impressed by the quality of your work sound team. out Fn standing.

however, i must agree with many others that the orokin void music is too "happy". it gives me that feeling of "sit down and meditate", when we are actually there to chop heads off. ofcourse i understand this is WIP and that particular piece was not for the action parts.

perhaps you would like to try with more minor scales, rather than major. minor scales provide a more "sad" or "negative" ambience although, i understand than that would fit derelict better.

Anyway, im very impressed by your work guys, keep it up. can't wait to hear it in-game.

Niiiice, music to me is a very important thing for a game's overall atmosphere and I'm so glad to hear new pieces for Warframe! :)

Void: Love it! I'm quite a sucker for sounds with a feeling of sadness and epicness at once, even more so when a violin is involved! I don't get how so many people think it sounds happy, to me it sounds ... bittersweet? Imo, it's PERFECT!

Derelict: Honestly, a little meh and a bit bland, with not much happening. I'd like more ambience, a more creepy choir (currently sounds too "holy" imo), more metallical somehow *shrugs*. I don't HATE it or anything, but something is missing :/