Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Music Preview: Derelict & Void

[DE]Rebecca

Those are both very nice indeed.

One thing that you may or may not have thought about. You may end up needing a "crossover" bridge between the two. as we've seen quite a few isolated incidents where we switch from the void tileset to a derelict tileset for one reason or another and I think the impact could _really_ be pronounced if music like this transitioned as well

Personally I think the idea of a derelict -> portal room -> void -> other portal -> super secret derelict mission would be fantastic.

You should use Powerman 3000's When Worlds Collide during intense fighting moments in the void, it would fit in well.

On Topic: I really don't care about the music cause I have my volume muted or very low most of the time, the other sounds are just kinda meh and I don't care that much for music in game. That's just me though. To all his own.

Edited by Remnant_Echo

I wish I could hear it. For whatever reason, even though the video is apparently completely loaded, it only plays for a whopping 2 seconds before just stopping, not matter where I click on the progress bar. :( Does that for both. Anyone else get this?

Edit: Never mind, y'all. I thought it was maybe something with Vimeo, but after getting the same thing on an unrelated Youtube video, I checked my headphones and was not getting ANY sound. Seems to have been connected to my headphones. I've fixed it.

Edited by Archeyef

I loved the Orokin Void theme. I sense the majestic feeling of the place with all the chanting, but ultimately it was the strings section that I was thrown off by.

Many people here have mentioned they find the music too happy for such a strange place, but when the string section started I felt an undeniable sense of sadness, mainly of the bittersweet kind. Like how in this grand opulent place of golden sheen and beauty was once home to an ancient civilization, now long gone and only faint memories of the Orokin Age.

While the Orokin Derelict was suitably creepy and I agree with many people that it sounds like we're combing through old catacombs. This is rather fitting since the Infested that primarily dwell here are essentially zombies, corpses that have risen from their resting places for all intents and purposes.

However, the theme for the Derelict level reminds me of a similar piece of music. That other piece was haunting too and in some ways you could say it's fitting in a strange way ;)

One other thing: Would it be possible to replace the chants with "talking instruments"?

It seems a bit off having the singing voices.

(like

)

I have to disagree, I prefer the chanting tones over instruments imitating a similar sound.  It hits that 'sacred' zone more effectively for me.

I do think the vocals for the derelict track could be further differentiated, though.  Those vocals aren't conveying quite the same feel to my ear that the rest of the track does.

Edited by Rajko

I have to disagree, I prefer the chanting tones over instruments imitating a similar sound.  It hits that 'sacred' zone more effectively for me.

See, to me, it seems heavily out of place--there's no one to be doing the singing, unless there's some cheesy, ancient recording playing while we're in there. That thought is rather eyeroll-inducing.

I don't think lyrics belong in video game music unless there's a legit source for what's playing them. The only time it's acceptable is when it's "pure instrumental"(example: halo theme), ie. lyrics-free. Except this has distinctive sounds--it has lyrics. They're *probably* gibberish, but they are still very distinctly words rather than sounds.

So if it can either be re-voiced with instruments(which would negate them being words) or rewritten as to make them not words(given how they're employed, this would be exceedingly difficult), it would make sense. Either would be acceptable from an end-product stand point, but I'm not sure how readily the latter can be done in this case.

See, to me, it seems heavily out of place--there's no one to be doing the singing, unless there's some cheesy, ancient recording playing while we're in there. That thought is rather eyeroll-inducing.

I don't think lyrics belong in video game music unless there's a legit source for what's playing them. The only time it's acceptable is when it's "pure instrumental"(example: halo theme), ie. lyrics-free. Except this has distinctive sounds--it has lyrics. They're *probably* gibberish, but they are still very distinctly words rather than sounds.

So if it can either be re-voiced with instruments(which would negate them being words) or rewritten as to make them not words(given how they're employed, this would be exceedingly difficult), it would make sense. Either would be acceptable from an end-product stand point, but I'm not sure how readily the latter can be done in this case.

That makes sense, I can see and respect your point about the source of the audio.

Not too much of a fan of the happy-tune halfway in the Void's ambient theme. I visualize an Orokin Ceremony gathered around a table, honoring the Tenno (you know, before their own creatons comitted genocide/massacre against them) and pure victory.

I feel the song only grants a slight representation of the Void (the beginning, primarily). I believe the Void is gilded: The beautiful art of the Orokin astounds you and you're completely mesmerized. However, the place itself (obviously, metaphorically speaking) is dark. The Neural Sentry bends, twists, and basically breaks the minds of the trespassers and corrupts them.

I think, given it's basically ruins of a lost empire, that the music should be slightly darker when you're incognito.

This is jusy my two cents, I understand I don't control DE, and knowing them, the final result will impress me.

This is just me, but given the dark presence of the Void, at times when I'm really in the mood to kill things and love the atmosphere, I play this song while running Void missions (only when I'm detected, though):

Unable to use the media function (as a few others), so direct link it is.

Edited by LazerSkink