Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Music Preview: Derelict & Void

[DE]Rebecca

They could be. But, as I said, that makes it less "majestic" and more "cheesy". Oh, listen to that soundtrack the Orokin picked to make you think of them as gods as it plays on repeat.

Or in simpler terms, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Talk about taking away the mysticism.

It's poor game design to have voices in the music of a game where your objective is to kill anything that might have a voice.

Games are not like movies. When you hear a sound out of place in a movie, it's because someone thought you should. When you hear a sound that's out of place in a game, it's because you need to kill the source.

If we're having distinct voices that are neither A: helping us, b: taunting us, or c: killable, they're irrelevant, and don't belong.

If that's still too difficult for people to grasp, let me word it in a way you understand, "The voices make it sound like @#$@%."

So my suggestion is that it shouldn't be too hard for the sound team to alter it to make it not sound like @#$#@%.

Can you wrap your head around that?

OPPPINNNIIOOOONNNNSSSSS

It's poor game design to have voices in the music of a game where your objective is to kill anything that might have a voice.

Games are not like movies. When you hear a sound out of place in a movie, it's because someone thought you should. When you hear a sound that's out of place in a game, it's because you need to kill the source.

If we're having distinct voices that are neither A: helping us, b: taunting us, or c: killable, they're irrelevant, and don't belong.

If that's still too difficult for people to grasp, let me word it in a way you understand, "The voices make it sound like @#$@%."

So my suggestion is that it shouldn't be too hard for the sound team to alter it to make it not sound like @#$#@%.

I typically try to refrain from trashing the opinions of others, just because they do not align with mine. That said, you are CLEARLY in the minority with your stance, and frankly, seem to be employing some serious mental gymnastics in an attempt to convert your opinion into fact.

"It's poor game design to have voices in the music of a game where your objective is to kill anything that might have a voice."

That's a bit of an absolute statement...

It also seems a bit odd to me that you find it fitting to insult the intelligence of everyone who disagrees with you, and when someone uses a well thought out, and cited rebuttal, your quote of their post is just "blah blah blah". If being condescending has gotten you your way in the past, I suppose I can't deter you from maintaining that approach, but I highly doubt that insulting people (including the devs) is going to result in a change you find desirable. 
Edited by 43Emprah

The Derelict matches the ambiance.

But the Void one....It's okay in the beginning and in the end. The middle part with a more obvious melody sounds like garden to me. Couldn't feel the holy and majestic.

I was expecting more Baroque style music. More chords, firmer and sturdier.

Something like this (Not the whole thing exactly, and doesn't have to be played by organ):

And also avoid too lively melody. Keep it slow and sturdy.

Edit:

I think the beginning and the end of the Void really give me a feeling of emptyness, pureness , voidness and mystery. While suddenly the middle part drags me to a  lovely garden. So...the middle part is the problem, in my point of view.

Edited by climatiseur

Derelict ambient:

You should add a bit of more of horror paranoid ghost whispers to the music. 

Sore throat threats ans whispers zinging from left to right or right to left, inviting the player to look around for a monster. 

Bonus points if the ghost sore  throat whispers l/r channels are changed randomly during music play, for a more unexpected feeling. 

Liked the 'monolith chorus (2001 a space odyssey)' sound at 2:80-3:00. This could be separated from the soundtrack, as a cue preceding a monster encounter and have at least 3 variations for 'enemies/large platoon of enemies/watch out we have heavies up there'. It's very ominous. 

The 'large platoon' version could be louder and higher-pitched.

The 'heavy/eximus ahead' version could have a (louder) more corpulent, gurgling texture (think Lephantis using listerine mixed with granite pebbles).

Edited by BrazilianJoe

I think the immersion breaking vocals conversation has run it's course at this point.  

For the derelicts, I'd like to see some empty, lonely/abandoned feeling tones dynamically come in during those moments between the action when players are exploring the hulks.

those sound pretty great

since we're talking about derelict music

quick question

are we gonna get a trailer for The Infested any time soon?

we have trailer for Corpus (The Profit) and for Grineer (The Call)

please :D

and keep up the great work

I'm very impressed with both pieces. But there are a few notes I'd like to put forth.

For the Void, you've successfully managed to capture the temple like essence that these mysterious constructs were built with. Problem is, I could't make out the 'combat phase' of the track. If you're planning to follow the 2-part format(one for calm, one for combat), then it's probably the subtle deathly vibe I'm getting from it. You'd think the Orokin had some... dark, malicious secrets under their pure white cloaks, so to speak

On the Derelict, again you've captured the Orokin feel. The main problem is the lack of 'corruption' in the chant and ambiance. The derelicts are corrupted, mutated, infested. Is it wrong for the soundtrack to reflect this? Other than that, You're spot on.

tysonreaction.gif

The Void music in this preview feels a lot like the sort of ending music to a film or game, which thus came across to me as slightly saddening... which makes sense considering the Orokin are long dead.

The Derelict one's beginning is actually pretty good at instilling tension and caution, especially with that undertone and those few notes that break away from it. Later on it gets across the feeling of a sacred place becoming something malevolent.

The Void one fits void rather well, but it doesn't seem to fit the game as a whole... In a few words I guess I'd that it's too extremely contrasting to battle music, so when the battle music inevitably kicks in, it's gonna be like a needle scratching off a record. I still like it more than what we have at the moment though!

Onto the Derelict one, I legitimately got chills down my spine while listening to it. Absolutely incredible, this is what a derelict ship filled with bloodthirsty infested should sound like! I can't wait for these music tracks (and their accompanying battle music) to be added in!

Edited by Stratego89