Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe : Is It Really Vanishing?[Megathread Attempt]

unknow99

Hello Tenno,

This is another loong subject people, and especially veterans, are arguing about.

Intro

If you just began playing(or didn't watch any old footage of the game yet), you might not know what it really means.

I am referring to this :

main-image-warframe1.jpg

*olds folks get surrounded with nostalgia*

All the components are here :

Excalibro, our poster boy, in a kneel position (or to be more accurate, in a Seiza position), in a very dark room, meditating on the wrath he'll soon unleash upon his greedy grineer opponents...

(I really like the detail of that glowing, it now seems...familiar. :) )

Another one :

maxresdefault.jpg

The game evolved since, for the better & the worse (better > worse) but a common complaint was born with the arrival of U13...In fact, since the arrival of some new recruits.

New frames tend to have received some miscellaneous themes/appearances for a moment, more & more :

"A bird frame? Well,that's something different."

"A paladin? He's neare to a goat/deerframe to me..."

"Woah, not too much anime-gundam-weeaboo stuff here, please.Those Archwings leave me skeptical."

"A pirate & a jester? What's goin' on D.E.?"

"Oh now we're getting Houdini and staches. What the Hek?!"

"Aren't we supposed to be space ninjas?!" vs "We're just post-apocalyptic mercenaries." (I won't get too deep with this in this thread, but it's also related)

Main question

New tilesets & environments in general are far brighter than before :

main-image-warframe.jpg

Warframe2013-01-0500-36-43-80_zps11fd6a7

warframe5.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION

And newcomers such as :

Limbo, with his hat and his overall magician look,

Hydroid, Sparrow-Cthulu,

Mirage, aka Harlequin,

Oberon,bananaframe,

were not seriously (by a quite large audience) taken as members of the tenno upon release. Add to this the fact that separated body parts were toned down when Damage 2.0 & Melee 2.0 came, and a lot of 1-year players fall into confusion.

Is the grim/dark mood of Warframe slowly disappearing? Is the atmosphere really following a worrying direction?

Nota bene : I own Hydroid,Zephyr,Mirage & Broberon myself & like them. It's just that some of us find them..Out of place.

Edited by unknow99

Short answer: no

Remember the first time you played through Dead Space (or whatever other similar game if you didn't play/like Dead Space)? It was pretty spooky that first time, no? Now, compare that to the tenth playthrough. See what I'm getting at? If you turn on color correction and dynamic lighting you can still get darker tilesets. Try doing full settings on Ceres, especially on a sabotage mission. Or on Eris, those tilesets can be kind of creepy. Basically the problem is things just loose some of their original charm after you've seen them a zillion times. A Lancer isn't going to be intimidating when you've killed thousands of them, and a dark tile is pointless when you know your way around it by heart.

There's also a bit of a nostalgia element at play here too.

Edited by vaugahn

This is another loong subject people, and especially veterans, are arguing about.

Is the grim/dark mood of Warframe slowly disappearing? Is the atmosphere really following a worrying direction?

You are right

Unquestionably there has been a thematic shift ...

Some consider this reasonable and evolutionary, others an abandonment

While the phrase "its beta" is overused as a justification it nevertheless encapsulates the creative process as one of natural progression

Recently, SilentMobius made a very very sensible post about the reaction to Limbo

He argued that the Orokin's use of a stage magician as the basis of a warframe as how TIME itself can wildly alter historical information

To the Orokin, Limbo was just as much as an iconic figure of ancient power as a legendary sword (Excalibur) or a brutish modern mammal (Rhino) or a basic aspect of physics (Volt)

While broadening the theme can alienate those who bought into the original draft, it also frees the artist as much as increases a potential market

As of now I see Warframe not so much as a unified "Band of Brothers" but as an eclectic "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

For now I am open minded to see where DE takes their story ...

It might actually be better that even they had originally imagined 

Bah, things change. That's how progress is made. 

The only subject I'll touch out of this (because it's not a matter of personal taste and is something entirely quantifiable) is the diluted gore. I miss being able to slam attack and bifurcate enemies... Please try to bring this back DE! And add more, so that we can do it on non-humanoid enemies. Imagine being able to rip of the legs of a shockwave moa in the middle of it's charged stomp with a well timed slide attack, or being able to slice and dice through all forms of infested (my favorite faction to go full melee against). Or even slicing a roller in half as it attempts to rush you. 

Edited by Kestral9999

I think it's fine for some aspects of the game. In terms of themes and new update features - well, I like Archwing, and I liked Kubrows, and I really have no problem with the themes of the new Warframes.

That being said, have you heard the new Void/Derelict music? That stuff's space operatic and scary and really fits what we want warframe to be really well. It seems to me as though a direction toward something better is being taken.

However, I would like the lights to go out on Infested missions, maybe even add that fog as an environmental hazard.

Except, then... I don't know! Warframe does seem to be pretty co-op these days, but it's more about destroying mobs instead of taking it slow. I would like it if level design and balancing started to favor slow/cooperative playing, instead of BOLTOR PRIME LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Oh, yes! And some more scary gore, please. The thing the Tysis does in Doozy's fic fireteam? I want to do that. I want to be seen in others eyes as a horrific warrior deity.

Edited by S.T.M.P.D

Try doing full settings on Ceres, especially on a sabotage mission. Or on Eris, those tilesets can be kind of creepy. Basically the problem is things just loose some of their original charm after you've seen them a zillion times. 

Europa's tilesets can be creepy. Especially if the spawns bug out on an extermination mission and they all spawn at extraction, leaving you to wander a completely empty tileset of corpus wreckage.

It happened to me once, and it was strangely scary.

All they have to do is make it so that when the Tenno dies, they get the same effects that normal enemies get, like sliced in half. Blood spraying everywhere.

tumblr_lxk0p1vRdS1qhyvy2o1_500.gif

Edited by VocalMagic

Yup, that might be this, but some players think otherwise. That's why I'd like forum's reaction to this topic.

What do you guys think about it?

(I'm neutral.)

Want really know? 

I think that, while we may found fun trying to figure out the lore behind this and that, Warframe is an intellectual creation of DE.

While one tastes can disagree with what they choose to put in the game, and everyone has the right to voice his concerns, it's ultimately their choice what stays in and what stays out.

If people doesn't find it fun anymore, they can voice their opinion once... Then if the game keeps not living up their expectations they can leave... Silently, without much of the Drama people seems to put up nowadays...

And if people thinks they can do the proper way, they're welcome to go through the pain of creating an engine, a game, putting it live and run the whole business...

With the Void and Orokin Towers, It's no exactly grimdark (is the opposite; Bright, White and Golden) however the enemies of that we face in that place are mute mind controlled slaves to an defense system A.I.

The Lore hints that the Tenno(The Players) betrayed the Orokin Empire moments later that the Sentiens were defeated, technically we brought the destruction and ruin of the empire in cold blood... possibly for good reasons (Technocyte Virus is no Joke), that's enough grim there and all the victims of the void are practically our fault. (Same might be the rise of the Grineer and Corpus)

The Monsters that are the Infested (T.Virus) are enough grim in this matter. they are mutated victims that adopt Animalistic traits forming an abomination, Have you seen Lephantis? is almost Nightmare Fuel there bro.

The Grineer is a Xenophobic Militaristic Race of deformed clones that relays in cybernetic augmentation to survive, they use crude and primitive technology compared to the Orokin, The Tenno and the Corpus. They enslave the colonies to form an Empire.

Corpus BRAINWASH their troops and see conflict and war as a oportunity to form profits.

In game we slash countless of enemies and we see their guts and limbs everywhere.

Edited by firelordzx5

Okay, some nice answers are coming here. I'll try to add my OPnion to them.

No.

d8vp.gif

Ok. but explain a little bit man. :p

Short answer: no

Remember the first time you played through Dead Space (or whatever other similar game if you didn't play/like Dead Space)? It was pretty spooky that first time, no? Now, compare that to the tenth time you playthrough. See what I'm getting at? If you turn on color correction and dynamic lighting you can still get darker tilesets. Try doing full settings on Ceres, especially on a sabotage mission. Or on Eris, those tilesets can be kind of creepy. Basically the problem is things just loose some of their original charm after you've seen them a zillion times. A Lancer isn't going to be intimidating when you've killed thousands of them, and a dark tile is pointless when you know your way around it by heart.

There's also a bit of a nostalgia element at play here too.

I agree, I remember the 1st time I saw Infested, in Lares if I remember right. I changed my pants after! And with that red/creepy lighting? That was a frightening experience!!

However changing the contrast and other stuff doesn't really give the same atmosphere. Give it a try, you'll see. (IMO I'm satisfied when I change these settings)

The nostalgia factor, however, isn't to be underestimated!

More discussion on the way.

Edited by unknow99

This is kiiiiiinda something I realized recently. I was thinking about the designs of the older frames versus the newer frames, and I think the visuals of the new frames are too... themed. I liked when the frames only vaguely resembled the theme of their particular skillset.

I basically realized that, for example, if Mag had been designed recently, she would probably have actual magnet shapes embedded in her, as a sorta shallow presentation of her skillset. And Volt would probably look more like the Flash with some exaggerated lightning shapes. Basically, almost every detail on each frame would go towards their theme instead of giving them a unique and inspired personality. (Look at Zephyr and Hydroid-- this is why I say every detail)

I'm not necessarily going to say all the frames need to be 100% serious looking, but the way they design them is definitely becoming different and exaggerated.

Edited by adiamorph

I dunno. All frames have had an element of "ridiculous" since very early on... Rhino and Banshee I'm looking at you. Also you can get dark and brooding environments by going to the options then lowering brightness and increasing contrast.

All I have to say is

Vetarans don't see that dark and gritty vibe that much ...because they've gotten used to it, like myself, enemies and maps are pretictable  so there's no real element of suprise , nothing to fear.

Nowadays I just walk around with y excal feeling extremely superior when starting a mission

You are right

Unquestionably there has been a thematic shift ...

Some consider this reasonable and evolutionary, others an abandonment

While the phrase "its beta" is overused as a justification it nevertheless encapsulates the creative process as one of natural progression

Recently, SilentMobius made a very very sensible post about the reaction to Limbo

He argued that the Orokin's use of a stage magician as the basis of a warframe as how TIME itself can wildly alter historical information

To the Orokin, Limbo was just as much as an iconic figure of ancient power as a legendary sword (Excalibur) or a brutish modern mammal (Rhino) or a basic aspect of physics (Volt)

While broadening the theme can alienate those who bought into the original draft, it also frees the artist as much as increases a potential market

As of now I see Warframe not so much as a unified "Band of Brothers" but as an eclectic "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

For now I am open minded to see where DE takes their story ...

It might actually be better that even they had originally imagined

Here is the major complaint against Limbo.I remember HiddenRedcoat flaming about him for that reason.(And I understand him) But you know what? I like him too. His powers just need little tweaks, but he might be tons of fun...(I don't have him yet)

Bah, things change. That's how progress is made. 

The only subject I'll touch out of this (because it's not a matter of personal taste and is something entirely quantifiable) is the diluted gore. I miss being able to slam attack and bifurcate enemies... Please try to bring this back DE! And add more, so that we can do it on non-humanoid enemies. Imagine being able to rip of the legs of a shockwave moa in the middle of it's charged stomp with a well timed slide attack, or being able to slice and dice through all forms of infested (my favorite faction to go full melee against). Or even slicing a roller in half as it attempts to rush you.

Aww man, that is something I miss too... I think that the removal of charge attacks got something to do with it. But again, we won't go too deep about this here.

Edited by unknow99

Maybe you should consider leaving constructive feedback to a thread, other than leaving disrespectful and demeaning replies. It goes against the forum rules.

1) R E S P E C T – Let’s respect each-other and have fun. Respecting people means not insulting anyone’s race, religion, sexual orientation, skill-level or any other possible way to make someone feel uncomfortable in the Warframe community.

Works both way...

Sometimes I see an utter and total lack of respect toward DE and other players who differ from someone's opinion... 

Nostalgia, such a beatiful mistress.

Well, gun play evolved and changed for the better(armour while still present no longer so drastic), melee changed aswell shame charged attacks vanished instead of being incorporated in stances.

Visual art style was hit and miss for me, vay hek, limbo are not something i enjoyed.

Music, we received new music in places where it counts which is nice, infested hive missions music was a spot on in fact.

Conclave,Clan research, dark sectors supposedly are there to promote CO-OP aspect yet i felt disconnected from it more and more.

Timewalls/grindwalls seem to emerge more and more ever since nekros.

I have mixed feelings about direction of warframe, i'll try to remain optimistic.

Edited by Morgax

I think it's fine for some aspects of the game. In terms of themes and new update features - well, I like Archwing, and I liked Kubrows, and I really have no problem with the themes of the new Warframes.

That being said, have you heard the new Void/Derelict music? That stuff's space operatic and scary and really fits what we want warframe to be really well. It seems to me as though a direction toward something better is being taken.

However, I would like the lights to go out on Infested missions, maybe even add that fog as an environmental hazard.

Except, then... I don't know! Warframe does seem to be pretty co-op these days, but it's more about destroying mobs instead of taking it slow. I would like it if level design and balancing started to favor slow/cooperative playing, instead of BOLTOR PRIME LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Oh, yes! And some more scary gore, please. The thing the Tysis does in Doozy's fic fireteam? I want to do that. I want to be seen in others eyes as a horrific warrior deity.

I heard that music, and aww man I really like this(I even put my headphones to fully enjoy it)! The orokin one reminded me of this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RJsFe7EQE

Now, the void only needs proper enemies & bosses. (Why not a boss for each Tower level? :) )

Run&gun needs to let other playstyles be viable. Stealth really needs attention. But I don't have too much worries about exploration because hidden caches are expanding!

Edited by unknow99

I personally like a lot of the newer designs in terms of frames [Mirage especially] but I see the criticisms people have for them. I suppose I came into the game late enough that I learned pretty quickly the 'ninja' thing had been dropped or was being taken so liberally it was kind of pointless. [That said Excal was always a terrible flagship for a ninja, what with all the damn samurai shenanigans]. I will acknowledge Limbo isn't a great design, though that is partially because he just looks like a deformed Frost [with a phallic head].

Tilesets I dunno. As someone who is now just logging on to grind the new content when it comes out I am finding that the majority of my gametime is spent in the Voids [which is meant to be a contrast] or on Pluto dark sectors which are outside during the day. To that end yeah, the grim factor is well and truly not there.

But with the new mods recently I had to do some Derelicts again and I had forgotten how atmospheric they were. I also remember when we had that Infested event where you killed the pods in those hive things and those were well and truly creepy.

With the increasing/prominent focus on the Grineer and the Corpus though and the fact that yeah, they seem to be getting increasingly tame [or at the very least aren't bringing much to the table scary wise] I can see the game losing that edge.

Is it at the point we can start clanging on about the good old days? Not quite yet from what I can see... most of the game still looks pretty similar. I suppose we just have to see what they do from here.

Kubrows though, not gonna lie, they made me roll my eyes. Walk your dog on your own time, at least the sentinels have the scifi factor going for them.

I love the direction the game has been taking. I understand that some people never wanted the game to change, but with more players, it needs to. You need to be the character the audience wants.

True. Bigger audience,wider perspectives.

Broberon disagrees

I also like my old-man Broberon. I even put a mustache on his face. :p

All they have to do is make it so that when the Tenno dies, they get the same effects that normal enemies get, like sliced in half. Blood spraying everywhere.

Yeah I remember a bug that sliced players in half. Gore as Ruk.

Edited by unknow99