Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe : Is It Really Vanishing?[Megathread Attempt]

unknow99

Err...

Somehow I understand op-

But it's more the region chat for me really.

1 Year ago (or more) the chat wasn't so full of noobs spamming the most stupid questions, making it impossible to talk to others. And it felt like it wasn't so full of kiddies. No idea why. The warframe community changed.... that's what's bothering me...

As for op's examples .... well... No one complained about rhino.... so why complain about Zephyr or Oberon (I like neither of the both, but that's for design reasons such as : too crowded with details)

Limbo and his hat... well.... maybe that was one step too far. No idea why it feels that way.

The new tilesets are awesome.Hands down. Awesome I say.

What bothers me more are minor design changes nobody might have noticed:

Opticor, the rangers (their boosters), Gox- these are supposed to b the uniquee corpus design. I love so much... but they look like ripped from some generic sci fy game. Harsh words. But you can't tell me that the Opticor looks like other Corpus weapon designs.

To me, everytime someone complains about how Warframe has changed, it all just reeks of nostalgia goggles. Only differences is, no one is directly saying "X was better in update 6" or something along those lines.

Lamenting the changes that occur are usually just an oversight  of what once was. Way back when, there were only two infestation units, and the boss was just a larger version of it. Tilesets were never really 'dark' but back then all we had was the Corpus ship tileset to use for things like Infestation missions. On Corpus and Grineer missions? It's not as if we're infiltrating some sort of haunted ship or structure, as these ships we 'clean out' are no different than any other operational Corpus/Grineer ship/factory/mine/etc.

Same goes for things like charge attacks. Charge attacks were only ever a thing because you couldn't really kill anything with normal attacks. The melee 2.0 changes made it feasible to use a combination of attacks with the same effectiveness, if not moreso with the channeling mechanic. Charging was simply no longer necessary. All weapons became multi-target, with a new array of moves that were effective against enemies.

The other major oversight is that changes to lighting and reflectivity are currently in the works. We're in for a lot more tweaks to lighting on certain tilesets, just don't expect another Dead Space.

Which brings me to another point about nostalgia goggles: Replaying the same game turns it into a game rather than some sort of gritty experience. A perfect example of this is Dead Space, because if you were to replay it over again, you would have much of the map memorized (like we do now with anything other than new tilesets), and things like jump scares or generic fear would be nothing more than the perception of the core game mechanic (i.e. survival, ammo conservation, spawns, etc). I too recall the old days in Warframe, when it was one tileset, one heavy Grineer unit, one mediocre boss per planet, and it was pretty fun for it's time! After two years, however, you expect that to evolve; where bosses are no longer larger versions of existing enemies, and tilesets are varied per planet to give a different feel to different locations. Claustrophobic Corpus ships were only every a thing because they just happened to be the only thing at the time.

Good analysis man, nothing much to add, especially on the nostalgia goggles thing. Although I disagree with charge attacks, but the comment remains neat. this tenno knows what he's talking about.

Err...

Somehow I understand op-

But it's more the region chat for me really.

1 Year ago (or more) the chat wasn't so full of noobs spamming the most stupid questions, making it impossible to talk to others. And it felt like it wasn't so full of kiddies. No idea why. The warframe community changed.... that's what's bothering me...

As for op's examples .... well... No one complained about rhino.... so why complain about Zephyr or Oberon (I like neither of the both, but that's for design reasons such as : too crowded with details)

Limbo and his hat... well.... maybe that was one step too far. No idea why it feels that way.

The new tilesets are awesome.Hands down. Awesome I say.

What bothers me more are minor design changes nobody might have noticed:

Opticor, the rangers (their boosters), Gox- these are supposed to b the uniquee corpus design. I love so much... but they look like ripped from some generic sci fy game. Harsh words. But you can't tell me that the Opticor looks like other Corpus weapon designs.

New maps are really refreshing! I'm not into those hype train stuff but oh man, underwater tilesets & swimming make me jump to the roof everytime I see something new about it.

About the chat,I got the same as yours.In french. T-T

Edited by unknow99

About the chat,I got the same as yours.In french. T-T

So... I'm not just imagining things?

Srsly... Alll the chat seems to be about is "ur mom" "uranus" and "What is love etc."

We used to have fun.... without being vulgar and stupid. And Kickbot was unnecessary because everyone knew how to ignore a user.

And those stupid Kickbot trigger lines should be removed... just annoying and stupid... nothing more.

So... I'm not just imagining things?

Srsly... Alll the chat seems to be about is "ur mom" "uranus" and "What is love etc."

We used to have fun.... without being vulgar and stupid. And Kickbot was unnecessary because everyone knew how to ignore a user.

And those stupid Kickbot trigger lines should be removed... just annoying and stupid... nothing more.

Imagi...Nope.

I was astonished a few months ago, when one of the Rhino setting body parts all over the place was a...11 years old kid. :/

The "mature audience only" policy didn't do its job well,I think.

Did we really need yet another thread on this topic? I was fine with differing opinion but it's really starting to feel that you people who don't like new art direction are just trying to push your opinions on everyone by constantly spamming the forum with this thing.

Design of frames doesn't bother me, but the fact that the game changed from the old look to this bright look is a bit annoying...at least the old tilesets looked better, especially the infested ones in the early days, it was the same tileset but with all the lights out and just some red alarm lights glowing...it was really creepy and even scary at times.

I'm of the opinion that Warframe should stick closer to its original roots, but I don't think that those roots can necessarily be classed as 'Grim-dark' or 'Space-Ninja'.

I believe Eldritch was the best term to describe the frames when I started playing (around U8 or 9, I think), and that was a huge draw for me personally.

They were an intriguing mix of smooth, organic forms and metallic exo-suits, and the eyeless, voiceless nature only added to the effect.

The Void and Derelict maps, and the Infestation as a whole also captured this brilliantly. it took me about five rounds against infested to work out that Chargers were horribly mutilated Grineer, because I spent the entire time firing desperately at the charging horde. The Void maps as well, as other have pointed out, fit the Eldritch theme of Warframe nicely because it's an alien environment. Everything else is decrepit (Grineer), spartan and bare (Corpus), or Mutated (Earth, infested missions, Derelicts) while the Void is pristine and heavily ornamented, filled with sharp contrasts and that same organic influence in its designs, despite being clearly artificial in creation.

By and large, I think the Tilesets are getting better and better and they're keeping the unique aesthetic of the different factions and applying them well to knew areas, so I don't have any issue with them, but the new frames and, to a lesser degree, enemies, concern me slightly.

I can't believe this thread is going so smoothly 

I love you guys

I kinda agree, like many said maybe if we add that gore option slider (1. No gore 2.Mid-Gore 3.Gore 4.Gory Gore) maybe we'll find warframe a little more mature

I miss those exploding headshots

As for warframes, i think need to go back to a more simplistic design

I'm not saying the newer frames are bad no i think they look amazing but i also think that we have enough of super funky looking suits.

Excalibur ,Rhino, Volt...these guys have a simple human look with very little fancy floppy bits here and there

Even Trinity is like that, if you can ignore that lobster tail *shivers*

I also hope that DE will add past events as quests for our new players, they are important to the events of the game, they make characters and bosses more interesting and they have really good dialogues so it would be a waste to throw that away and never mention it again.

Did we really need yet another thread on this topic? I was fine with differing opinion but it's really starting to feel that you people who don't like new art direction are just trying to push your opinions on everyone by constantly spamming the forum with this thing.

Humm this one tries to compile the ones you talk about. Instead of a "Is Limbo an outsider or are we losing something?" threads showing everyday, this thread is here to collect everyone's opinion. Either for or against the direction our game is taking.

I can't believe this thread is going so smoothly 

I love you guys

I kinda agree, like many said maybe if we add that gore option slider (1. No gore 2.Mid-Gore 3.Gore 4.Gory Gore) maybe we'll find warframe a little more mature

I miss those exploding headshots

As for warframes, i think need to go back to a more simplistic design

I'm not saying the newer frames are bad no i think they look amazing but i also think that we have enough of super funky looking suits.

Excalibur ,Rhino, Volt...these guys have a simple human look with very little fancy floppy bits here and there

Even Trinity is like that, if you can ignore that lobster tail *shivers*

I also hope that DE will add past events as quests for our new players, they are important to the events of the game, they make characters and bosses more interesting and they have really good dialogues so it would be a waste to throw that away and never mention it again.

Sure, they said in a devstream that they're working on adding Slingstone,gradivus and other past stuff as quests. :)

We were always knights!

There was a ninja vibe at one point because we just woke up from cryosleep and the first thing that popped up in our heads was ninja stuff.

But now that we are remembering we are seeing that we were the Knights of the Round Table!

ALL of the original frames were the Knights that sat at that table.

Oberon is obviously the Green Man, the and the Green Man was the source of the Green Knight! One of the Knights that help Arthur!

It's all coming together.... we were always knights.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

(edited) ...

If people doesn't find it fun anymore, they can voice their opinion once... Then if the game keeps not living up their expectations they can leave... Silently

"Once" or "leave"?  Really?!

Does that statement apply to changes in game mechanics?

How about weapon buff/nerfing?

Or how about adjusting the function of abilities?

Of course it doesn't ...

Continued feedback about ANY aspect of the game is fair game

Thematics, aesthetics, cinematics, animations, game play, controller flexibility, sound effects, back ground music, server stability, platform performance ...

Everything

DE has an open door policy to player opinions

DE never set a "gripe once but there's the door" rule

Why then should players impose a needlessly restrictive rule?

Answer:  they shouldn't

The solution to frustration about player feedback is not to SUPPRESS it ...

The solution is to either ENGAGE or IGNORE it

Moral:  Most every human being wants to live in a free society

Why can't the forums be free?

Oh, a thing to remember : the players who said that Warframe is less dark than before do it for a reason. Which one?

When damage 2.0 came, gore was toned down a lot. Limbs are still there, but if you want to blow someone's leg, it will display a little forgettable animation (standing one-legged 0.5 seconds => falling like a bag of potato) & a leg flying like it didn't really belong to its owner, instead of this :

rgwwguE.gif?1

The hostage's scream of suffering was replaced with the new voices,headshots rarely show a bloody hole,no more enemy on fire agonizing in a painful manner,and so on...

Some long animations were a source of problem, but they could have been fixed(by allowing agonizing enemies to let bullets go through & allow desecration) instead of outright being removed,etc...

(Again,I'm just stating the origins of these complaints, and don't totally agree with it.)

Edited by unknow99

Oh, a thing to remember : the players who said that Warframe is less dark than before do it for a reason. Which one?

Those death animations created invincible walls. They also dipped framerates when they played in large numbers, or at least the electric one did.

And if you notice in that gif, the tileset was lit up just like it is today. I think people are sort of picking and choosing what they remember, not really the whole picture. 

I would very much like warframe to be more grimdark, but grimdark is not a quality I've ever associated with this game. 

We were always knights!

There was a ninja vibe at one point because we just woke up from cryosleep and the first thing that popped up in our heads was ninja stuff.

But now that we are remembering we are seeing that we were the Knights of the Round Table!

ALL of the original frames were the Knights that sat at that table.

Oberon is obviously the Green Man, the and the Green Man was the source of the Green Knight! One of the Knights that help Arthur!

It's all coming together.... we were always knights.

Hahaha I don't really agree.

There is a sense of honor & chivalry in some way, but when you see Kunai, Bo,Hikou,Nikana,the Seiza position,Steve saying "space ninja" in every interview he's in... We're not exactly knights or ninja. :p

Those death animations created invincible walls. They also dipped framerates when they played in large numbers, or at least the electric one did.

And if you notice in that gif, the tileset was lit up just like it is today. I think people are sort of picking and choosing what they remember, not really the whole picture. 

I would very much like warframe to be more grimdark, but grimdark is not a quality I've ever associated with this game. 

Hey is that room even spawning anymore?

(It's either gone, or I'm playing too much Earth/Europa/Ceres/Void)

It's still there. It mainly spawns on Neptune in my experience, but I see it on Venus sometimes. 

Phew! Removing this one would have been a little sad. Good memories from that one.

Your point about agonizing AI is right. However, something about hit detection & death animations seems a bit off nowadays.I don't really know how to explain it clearly.

Personally I rather like the new tilesets and overhauls of the old tilesets but I do think that it would be a good idea to create some new tilesets with the darker feel that the tilesets used to have because honestly that poor lighting made no sense on corpus ships but it would be nice to have some tilesets that are built around it.

As for the warframes the only ones I have any problem with are Mirage and Limbo and with Mirage my feelings are somewhat divided because although she looks ridiculous I get a psychotic jester feel from her when I play her that definitely feels right

as for Limbo I am going to have to reserve judgment on him for now because I hate how he looks but I have not had a chance to play him yet.

As for the gore I don't think there is much to discuss because if the feedback threads are any indication everyone myself included agrees that it needs to be reworked and enhanced.

It's strange, the more detailed/brighter the visuals get, the darker the lore behind it becomes.

On one hand they've shifted from animals and add a bit more theme to the human based frames.

On the other we get stories of Tortured tenno turned into hulking beast, dying via zerg rushed, being ripped apart meddling with the secrets of spatial manipulation.

Then we find out stuff like grineer are created by melting down other still breathing Grineer.

EDIT

And oh yeah anyone remember that Corpus guy slowly dying in that Alad/infestion event.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

Your point about agonizing AI is right. However, something about hit detection & death animations seems a bit off nowadays.I don't really know how to explain it clearly.

I think damage 2.0 messed up the death animations. They still play occasionally, but not often. The slash death is pretty common though.

Anyways, I've come to a bit of a personal conclusion here:

My main problem with threads like these is that instead of lamenting the departure from a tone which never existed, they should be advocating the inclusion of a tone that would fit quite well. A bit of grimdark could bring some interesting flavor to the Warframe universe, and I think it's something we've been missing for a long time. 

Hahaha I don't really agree.

There is a sense of honor & chivalry in some way, but when you see Kunai, Bo,Hikou,Nikana,the Seiza position,Steve saying "space ninja" in every interview he's in... We're not exactly knights or ninja. :p

There are way more medieval weapons than the are eastern.

Hek, people had to fight to get those things in. If it wasnt because of the people we would probably had throwing axes.

We are Space Knights, it's time to accept it.

I set my contrast higher, and reduced brightness. Warframe instantly looks twice as good. Details, and glows look so much better in dark.
Game feels much much better to me when it is darker.

Ceres tileset is somewhat dark, but still nothing compared to what we had before. Playing vs infested always made lights go out, and it was DARK. I loved it.