Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipetron Improvement

zelgaris

I assume this is old news but the more I use Snipetron the more I find it just below average in comparison to other "similar" weapons, especially Paris and Lex.

I assume there are also people, who thinks Snipetron is fine the way it is (or they simply ignore it, because it's not worth their time) - I don't think so. As a current single representative of Sniper rifle weapon class (not considering Paris, since it doesn't have proper zoom) it just fails.

Small magazine size with incredibly slow reloading time (even with maxed reload speed mod) are the main problems.

Possible improvements:

- Scrap the normal clip usage and use Paris system instead, i.e. faster reload with zoom out after each shot rather than having a long reload time (exclusive to other two below and I really prefer this)

- Make the default reload speed faster (even with maxed mod, it is still really slow)

- Larger default magazine size, 4 is just not enough and even maxed magazine size mod gave us only one additional ammo

What do you think?

I assume this is old news but the more I use Snipetron the more I find it just below average in comparison to other "similar" weapons, especially Paris and Lex.

I assume there are also people, who thinks Snipetron is fine the way it is (or they simply ignore it, because it's not worth their time) - I don't think so. As a current single representative of Sniper rifle weapon class (not considering Paris, since it doesn't have proper zoom) it just fails.

Small magazine size with incredibly slow reloading time (even with maxed reload speed mod) are the main problems.

Possible improvements:

- Scrap the normal clip usage and use Paris system instead, i.e. faster reload with zoom out after each shot rather than having a long reload time (exclusive to other two below and I really prefer this)

- Make the default reload speed faster (even with maxed mod, it is still really slow)

- Larger default magazine size, 4 is just not enough and even maxed magazine size mod gave us only one additional ammo

What do you think?

You are absolutely right. Gun was nerfed to oblivion almost. Given it was quite nuts in the past. However magazine size of 4 is just too small, mod only gives one round, and even with fast hands the reload speed is terrible. Outside of large room defense missions (non infested), this gun is outclassed by Lex, Latron, Paris in it's function, and every other function it lacks.

I've never tried the Snipetron but if it's medium-range brother, the Latron, is any indication then ALL of the semi-auto rifles need some boosting. 

I usually go for sniper rifles in shooters but I've seen virtually no instances of such a weapon being necessary or even usable. Aside from certain defense missions, there is rarely enough open terrain to use them. The usual max engagement range for most missions is well within the Latron's effective range. I just dont see a reason to use a sniper rifle.

I think it's more of a problem with everything else than the gun. If we had more levels with large open spaces, and enemies that would attack us from longer distances, there'd be a point in using the snipetron to take them out. Right now, everything runs into range where latron zoom is more than enough to make them a huge target.

As already said, some larger areas were added (and I assume we will get even more) and sniping enemies from a distance is possibility, but the sniping tool, i.e. snipetron, could be a viable tool, but it's too weak. Damage output per bullet is good, but the magazine size and reload speed is "meh" :)

It would be nice if the shot could punch through to enemies behind, so when laying into an enemy charge your shots are worth more, especially if you can line up headshots.

Well we had mod for that, but actually having a bit of puncture already build in would be nice.

Still it doesn't change the fact of having only 4 ammo per clip and incredibly slow reload time :(

Never used the snipetron before, but always been a personal fan of not having any clips for sniper rifles... but rather a relatively slow reload of individual bullets. Having to essentially stop to chamber a bullet IS reloading ... having to reload clips on top of that is a heavy amount of drawbacks for a benefit that I don't really see a need for much of with so few long lines of sight ... especially considering just how effective auto rifles are at long ranges & how well they already see with zoom. Doesn't feel like this is a game well suited for a sniper role.

Edited by Qb3rt

Actually, has anyone noticed that the snipetron doesn't hit the target accurately? I can hit some target that's visible and doesn't register damage at all.

I also found a bug with the Paris where at certain long ranges, the arrow drifts to the left a good distance.

Actually, has anyone noticed that the snipetron doesn't hit the target accurately? I can hit some target that's visible and doesn't register damage at all.

I also found a bug with the Paris where at certain long ranges, the arrow drifts to the left a good distance.

Well it doesn't have that good accuracy stat.

But aren't you talking about Corpus troopers? Without some mods, you don't do any damage, when you hit them to head.

Well it doesn't have that good accuracy stat.

But aren't you talking about Corpus troopers? Without some mods, you don't do any damage, when you hit them to head.

Did you just say that the weapon with snipe in its name is meant to be inaccurate?

Anyway, accuracy stat feels meaningless. Nobody seems to even know what it measures, from what I've seen. That targeting bug isn't the weapon, it's the game's aim system screwing up. In certain areas it seems to point you at a completely different location than where you're supposedly looking. 

I'm still in favor of making it do armor piercing damage, but that's just me.

Possible improvements:

What do you think?

For me the sniper should be like tf2 (omf tf2 casual huehuehue)

Did you just say that the weapon with snipe in its name is meant to be inaccurate?

Anyway, accuracy stat feels meaningless. Nobody seems to even know what it measures, from what I've seen. That targeting bug isn't the weapon, it's the game's aim system screwing up. In certain areas it seems to point you at a completely different location than where you're supposedly looking. 

I'm still in favor of making it do armor piercing damage, but that's just me.

Yes I did say that. I am using it on daily basis, and it looks like the accuracy is far from perfect. It can be as well problem of the particular weapon.

I am also for the slight piercing damage, but that's just a little addition - right now the clip size and reload speed is just bad.

I CONCUR

i love this weapon, all except the ammo size.

with its high power round and extreme zoom it's mostly used in defense missions. Having a 4 round mag and not being able to max it to 10 round just makes it very impractical. hell, even a real life 50.cal sniper rifle has a 10 round mag.

imo armor piercing is still optional. it's great to have it, but right now having a mod for it, it will still kill most in one shot.

i figured if the rifle is buffed with increased armor piercing power and faster reload time it will be quite OP at that point.

What Bolt guns do is different what AP mods do. Armor ignore is just regular damage that ignores armor, AP via mod is like other elements and it gets certain bonuses (like vs grineer), while the regular damage from bolt weapons don't.

This weapon also has problems when fighting opponents with regenerating shields. The prohibitively long reloads allow opponents to fully recharge their shields between clips. This makes it very challenging to progress through several stages (at least at my level and playing solo like i am currently) as it takes my entire pistol clip just to drop the shield enough that the gun can start doing its full damage against the actual health bar. Perhaps the heavy bullet from this rifle could do some damage ignoring shields?

Also, according to this post: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/17356-update-7x-weapon-balance-notes/#entry154772

The snipetron should be at 115 damage with a 3.8 reload speed instead of the current 5 seconds, was that decision rolled back or is it just not reflected in the stats page yet?

Another thing to consider, in addition to the bullet striking through to targets behind, is adding a bit of a stagger as a target is hit with this weapon. Its a huge heavy shot and would make the weapon feel more like the hefty hand cannon that it was born to be.

What Bolt guns do is different what AP mods do. Armor ignore is just regular damage that ignores armor, AP via mod is like other elements and it gets certain bonuses (like vs grineer), while the regular damage from bolt weapons don't.

I know exactly what they do. I said EITHER make it do ELEMENTAL PIERCING DAMAGE, OR make it ARMOR IGNORE, BOTH WOULD WORK.

I know exactly what they do. I said EITHER make it do ELEMENTAL PIERCING DAMAGE, OR make it ARMOR IGNORE, BOTH WOULD WORK.

I misunderstood, apologies.

As for the suggestion. I say neither, lower the reload time and increase magazine size, the weapon would be fixed that way. Maybe, maybe add few points on it's base damage.