November 7Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

November 7th Community Hot Topics  

2,205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Infested Fog

In case you missed it, the Halloween infested alert had some extra spooky fog effects added. Stormandreas has a hot topic requesting that the fog be implemented all the time for infested mission. Do you think the fog should be implemented permanently, or should it be saved for special occasions? 

If you didn’t participate in the Halloween alert, here’s a video of it by DogMan Dan

Source thread:

For the love of god please DO NOT make this a permanent feature. I couldn't enjoy playing those missions because the fog made me so angry and frustrated. I have terrible vision, I always have, and people failed to notice for years. I spent most of my life in a perpetual blurry fog being yelled at for not noticing things. Game based Vision impairments like that Hallowe'en fog only serve to bring back all of that frustration. Especially when it's for the entire duration of the mission and not broken up by clear patches. There is a reason I don't play games with that kind of thing, and I don't want to have to avoid infested missions because it becomes a permanent addition. :*(

If the fog MUST be added please make it disableable, or alternatively rare and broken up within the mission by clear areas.

Rhino Charge and Iron Skin could use a rework.

Rhino Charge: With the introduction of Aerial Melee, Rhino Charge is lacking as a mobility skill. It would be nice if we could charge vertically as well.

Same goes to other charge skills, like the Excalibur Slash Dash.

Iron Skin: I like what you guys did to the Snow Globe and I think this would be great for the Iron Skin as well.

Meaning, during the first 5 sec, the Iron Skin will give you invincibility and absorb all the damage. Then, the absorbed damage will be turned into the HP pool of the Iron Skin.

With this, it would be great for the Iron Skin to draw aggro within a 30 to 40m radius. And protect the team members.

All of my yes.

For the love of god please DO NOT make this a permanent feature. I couldn't enjoy playing those missions because the fog made me so angry and frustrated. I have terrible vision, I always have, and people failed to notice for years. I spent most of my life in a perpetual blurry fog being yelled at for not noticing things. Game based Vision impairments like that Hallowe'en fog only serve to bring back all of that frustration. Especially when it's for the entire duration of the mission and not broken up by clear patches. There is a reason I don't play games with that kind of thing, and I don't want to have to avoid infested missions because it becomes a permanent addition. :*(

If the fog MUST be added please make it disableable, or alternatively rare and broken up within the mission by clear areas.

Agreed. I didn't have that problem, but I did have a severe exploration problem. Not being able to see anything made exploring the map really disorienting, sometimes even nauseous. It made exploration amazingly frustrating, slow-paced and unrewarding, and it would suck to be forced to be submitted to this every single time.

Edited by Mcl_BlueMadness

Rhino augment suggestions

Meteor stomp

Rhino stomp becomes castable in mid air , making rhino dive stomp  onto the ground

I am not against that as long as Ash gets a Shuriken mod called Shadow Storm that allows Ash to throw like 10 Shuriken 

Rhino re-works, totally yes.

Rhino by definition is the 'Heaviest' warframe and is built with the concept of being this game's typical tank character, he can knock over rows of enemies, buff teammate damage and generally stop enemies dead in their tracks. That's only really half the job of his role though, as it stands he's currently Excalibur's bigger (statistical) brother and requires no decisive change in playstyle in order to operate. He's not any different, he's just chunkier and (standard variant only) a touch slower from the poster boy himself.

My biggest gripe with rhino is how he is played and no number of stat adjustments to iron skin is going to stop people from slapping it on whenever their shields start plinking. it' a loss of 50 energy (or less) per cast, which there are more than enough methods of recovering in an instant.

What I want for Rhino is a definitive role - He needs to be the tank in a T4 match, not just a T4 survival kit for players who refuse to spec/organise with team mates. He needs to function as a proper tank with a little more risk-reward effort put into his actions, some credible reasons for being the tank, some credible reason to actually choose whether or not you should use iron skin. (If you haven't guessed, i get real tired of hearing 3 waves of iron skin the second i start a mission).

I want Iron Skin to actually draw more aggro from enemies over other team mates - you're not only the biggest thing in the room, but you are now covered in a coat of this shining silver/gold plating - as an enemy, if that doesn't set off alarms bells to what your priorities  should be then i don't know what will.

Respectively, with the higher aggro this would need a buff to the threshold to balance it out (or perhaps, the risk/reward aggro would be enough to demo it back under the old duration system - a system that made the synergy of duration mods much more effective in rhino builds with his other abilities).

Above all I believe Iron Skin needs a real rework, it needs some form of purpose other than extra beef for the beef train.

In the events that a true tank rework happens for rhino and his Iron Skin, rhino charge and roar could probably benefit from the added direction as well.

Edited by Phantom_Jack

Custom weapon names...not really niterested in it, as nothing special.

Shotguns I would say are bad for few reasons:

1)Damage fall off is too soon and too strong. Have too shot point blank to do full damage

2)Shotgun mods are quite week.

3)Choice of shotguns is very small which is only SObek, Hek, Tigris and Boar Prime.

Ammo pool for energy weapons..Yes yes and YES. That would be great and would make a lot more sense than picking rifle ammo for Flux Rifle or SNiper ammo for Lanka. And it might return weapons like Flux Rifle which ar not ammo efficient back because in theory they have unlimited ammo and ammo mutation is no longer needed so extra damage mod as well as unlimited ammo

Would not expect Rhino to make into hot topic discussion. He offers so much to the table that I cant fnid any weakness to him other than almost useless in higher level missions and infinite in lwoer level Iron skin. Maybe return Duration based Iron skin which would give a short time God mod so that you need to time it rather than wait for it to die. 

Favourite frames of mine would be Ash, Excalibur and Frost in no particular order. Despite not liking Snowglobe after its heavy nerf I just cant not enjoy him. And Excalibur is just....guess sentimental cause he was my starter. Ash is just...too much style and abilities are cool too.

SHOTGUNS:

As been said - remove falloff, shotguns already penalized by spread they have at big range.

I thought the main idea of shotguns it to tear everyting at the close range. While a lot of weapons can provide the same, being more comfortable.

Few more classic shotgun with maybe some sort of smart mechanics would be nice.

ENERGY WEAPONS:

Take a look at Mass Effect 3 weapon (such as Collectors SMG, Collectors Sniper Rifle, Parlicle Rifle) mechanics at you'll get what i want energy weapons (Infested weapons as well) ammo recharge to look like.

Edited by Riccoshot

Would it be possible to tie fog effects to a different copy/paste Ancient, or to another specific unit, with a large area of effect?

This would enable exploration after extermination without worrying about visibility, while maintaining a spooky atmosphere when the Infested are near. It would also add a more natural and a possibly higher priority target.

Naming weapons could be a kinda cute thing. Though it would mostly be a little side joke when people check on your equipment in the squad display or simply being a small reward for a player really liking a certain weapon type. However it could easily lead to a wave of curse, insult or profanity named weapons.

The last part might require some extra work.

New shotguns? I think there is still some room open, both in terms of reload animation (pump-action, lever action), mechanics and factions from which they could come from (Corpus and Infested).

Though before such shotguns should be developed, we require a general improvements for shotguns, in order to see where new ones could fit in.

Not sure about the energy weapons getting a new ammo mechanic. But it could be a nice change of pace and actualy give Lotus big concern about Grineer energy weapons some value.

Do we really need any improvements to Rhino? I thought the general feeling was that he is in a pretty good place allready. We have Ember and Saryn still waiting for some proper improvements. Why should Rhino suddently be a concern again? He is not broken in any way.

As for the Halloween fog? The thing dropped by FPS hard and automatically switched the depth of field effect back on, which i had to manualy switch off again.

No thanks.

Edited by Othergrunty

I want to see Rhino's ult redone because it is totally illogical to his character. He stomps hard enough to break time. It doesn't make sense and it looks horrible.

I have asked quite a few times for Frost to be given the stats of Rhino's ult and have Rhino get a new ult. Currently they have basically the same ult, but with Rhino's being better in pretty much every way:

Stomp Vs. Avalanche

Range - 25m vs. 15m

Duration - 8s vs. 3/4s

Damage - 800 (+800 in a smaller area) vs 1500

Avalanche freezes his enemies solid and yet is far worse at CC than Stomp, and has nothing else better about his ult. Rhino needs a new ult that fits him, and Frost needs the utility.

Especially since Snow Globe got nerfed in U15.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to hide a nerf to Snow Globe as a VFX tweak had some guts, I'll give them that. Still made me pretty angry though.

Shotguns need Falloff removed.

They are already penalized at range by Spread.

The only viable Shotguns are, ironically, not Shotguns but Pistols.

Rhino Charge and Iron Skin could use a rework.

Rhino Charge: With the introduction of Aerial Melee, Rhino Charge is lacking as a mobility skill. It would be nice if we could charge vertically as well.

Same goes to other charge skills, like the Excalibur Slash Dash.

Iron Skin: I like what you guys did to the Snow Globe and I think this would be great for the Iron Skin as well.

Meaning, during the first 5 sec, the Iron Skin will give you invincibility and absorb all the damage. Then, the absorbed damage will be turned into the HP pool of the Iron Skin.

With this, it would be great for the Iron Skin to draw aggro within a 30 to 40m radius. And protect the team members.

I agree on both counts.  The Iron Skin idea sounds fantastic too.  I hope DE takes notice!

1. Custom names: Yes, but only visible to owner. Otherwise would create lots of confusion

2. Shotguns: BUFF, both MODS and STATS, THEN relase more.

I recently went through a couple of shotguns, and leveling Hek was absolute pain. Ridiculous reload speed, meh damage, almost no ammo in mag, slow firerate.. ugh. Similar with Strun.

Sobek was a bit better but still laughable compared to rifles. Now leveling tigris, it's okay but also not amazing.

3. New ammo: eeeeeeeh, I dunno. Warframe's confusing as it is. Adding a new regenerating ammo would require a new set of mods as well, I guess.

4. Rhino: Charge could use something extra, I literally NEVER use it. Even the augment mod is useless. Rest of the abilities are perfect, don't touch.

5. Fav frames are what I'm using the most: Loki, Rhino, Mirage, Nyx, Nekros, Frost.

I love Saryn but she's too weak to use her.

6. Fog: For special stuff (some fancy alert), not only limited to infested. Remove the film grain though.

Maybe rather than having the ability to name all of our gear, what if you could name 1 piece of gear per however many mastery rank, that piece of gear could get some sort of buff maybe (possibly extra mod slot or capacity) so that it could become a sort of signature weapon or relic for you as a player.

For example if you assumed you got 1 named weapon per 3 mastery ranks and you were mastery 6 then you could name 2 weapons which may be your Dakra and your Boltor Prime maybe (Just 2 random weapons I picked). You could name them "Storm Blade" and "ThunderLord" for example and each would have something making it more powerful than others of that weapon (Just slightly with mod spaces so to not throw balance out the window). 

This gives the element of fun with names and empowerment and the ability to show off your signature weapons. I think that the names should show to team mates, but the actual weapon should actually show as well. 

Next to think about, what if you could add sort of decals to names weapons a bit like sigils for weapons.

Edited by (PS4)Matsypie

Rhino

I did not expect to be covering Rhino this week, but as I browsed through the Warframe hot topics, I noticed that a lot of hot topics were discussing the big guy and his abilities. I was surprised because Rhino is a pretty popular Warframe, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for some suggestions and improvements. Would you make any changes to Rhino? Do you think any of his abilities need an update? Can you think of any ideas for Augment mods that would be fun for Rhino? The following Augment mod is currently available to beef up his “Rhino Charge”:
Rhino: Charge: Ironclad Charge: Increases Rhino's armor by % for each enemy hit for x seconds.

Answer the Rhino poll to give your opinion on Rhino’s abilities and comment in the thread to voice your ideas/suggestions!

(As a reminder again, these Community Hot Topic threads are not necessarily indicative of upcoming changes to Warframe. Community Hot Topics are primarily about what is being said by the community and don’t always reflect what is currently under development.)

Thank you for addressing this.

POPULARITY

Let me start off by saying....Of course Rhino is popular. 
1:He represents the "big tough guy" style of look and gameplay which covers the most common archetypes found in other shooter games. There is a clear market for that.
2:He is one of the first frames a player is likely to unlock on the solar map. His parts are from the Jackal on Venus.
3:He has one of the most beneficial arcane helmets for those who have it. This overcomes his primary shortcoming of slow base speed.
4:His power set is rather straight forward so he doesn't have the kind of learning curve that some of the other frames have.
5:He is good for solo play as opposed to some other frames that excel most when in groups and lacks something when alone.
6:Statically most players in F2P games don't spend money so that means a large portion of they will have limited amounts of frames of slots.....meaning that a large amount of players are likely to stick with whichever frames they got early on that seem to work for them. Since rhino is an early grab and strong early game he is likely to be in peoples arsenal.
7:PLUS at early levels rhino feels practically un-killable due to solid base stats and Iron skin.

----
So even if there are many frames that are better pics for the toughest missions....
even if rhino is falling a bit behind on effectiveness for them....
Rhino is still likely to be among the most popular frames in the game.

RHINOS PROBLEM

Which brings me to my main concern. Rhino's primary problem is his lack of proper scaling. 
But before I get into that let me clarify something.
Rhino's role.
According to the official flavor text and official Rhino Video he is meant to be "the heaviest warframe", a "mixture of offense and defense" one who "specializing in crowd control", "Well equipped to both deal and absorb damage". "An "almost unstoppable tank".
Obviously much has changed over the course of warframes development and certain statements are just inaccurate by now. But, for the sake of this post, I will be speaking about Rhino's design as if the way he is described in those things is still DE's intent for his role.
Until DE states otherwise I will continue to operate under that understanding.

TO TANK OR NOT TO TANK

I personally define tanking as the capability to mitigate damage for both self and allies.
Rhino does this through direct body blocking with iron skin as well as by knocking enemies down with charge or knocking them up with stomp. He also brings the utility of a damage boost to the team which is a very nice addition to his kit.

Now, the most obvious key stone to rhinos problem with tanking is in his defensive capability.This is most clearly exemplified by Iron Skin.

Early on Iron Skin makes Rhino extremely resilient (though the new ability growth with level since U15 has evened this out a bit) where once you get to the much later on stages of the game (T4 key stuff) Iron skin simply does not seem to be enough to keep rhino body blocking.At that point it get's broken in a few enemy shots (then we die in a few more) so he is no longer able to body block so he has to rely on crowd control.

The sad reality on that front is that there are several frames that do a FAR better job at straight up crowd controlling enemies. If you want CC, you can get it better elsewhere. So if Rhino cannot body block effectively....he is simply not among the smartest pics. 

Note: He is still a solid all around frame but at that highest level of play the team compositions are well thought and based on synergy. It is really only at that level where his flaws become most relevant. It is among the better players with the widest variety of frames recognize his weakness compared to other frame options.

SOLUTION

So what we need to do is find a way to improve rhino's late game resilience without accidentally making his early game resilience any stronger. 

Proposition 1

Simply make a maxed out iron Skin Stronger.
OK. This could probably work. It's not complicated and it gets the job done assuming the numbers are worked out.

Proposition 2
Give Iron Skin an HP bonus based on one of Rhino's stats.
Like if his shield rating increased the HP that Iron Skin had it would automatically scale with how much a player had leveled up their redirection mod.

You could also chose to make it scale with Armor or Health but rhinos current stats in those departments make those two things less desirable than shields are. If you go this route we may need to alter his base stats in some way. Like If you’re going to make Iron skin  scale off of armor, he may need a higher armor rating so it's worth moding for overall.

Proposition 3
Make iron Skin reactive-somehow improved in relation to the damage that is inflicted upon it. Much like the latest version of Snowglobe where it's invulnerable for 4 seconds and then gains increased HP based on how much damage it took.
Note: I do not mean that it should be EXACTLY like that, simply using that as an example of a design direction.

Now if you go the route of Proposition 3 I'd recommend bringing the "taunt" effect back to iron skin to make sure that rhino can pull the enemies attention on himself enough to get a good amount of bonus HP when needed. The advantage to this version is that it's inherently designed to scale based on the danger of the moment.
This will also require a bit more thought on the rhino players part of when to use Iron skin to get the most benefit from it. I view adding a sense of skill/timing as a good thing. Though some may find it intimidating. Of course, it would only really be needed at end game where skill is expected anyway.

Personally I'd like a combination of the concepts presented in Propositions 2 and 3. I feel that will best serve Rhino's intended design. Obviously these are design directions, exact numbers are figured out in play testing.

FINAL THOUGHT
Remember-Some time ago the enemy scaling was changed so that they no longer become extreme damage sponges at later game but become more capable of dealing out tons of damage. This has had a direct and profound effect on anything or anyone who relies on taking damage from the enemies. Where Rhino’s defensive capabilities may have once been appropriate for the world he was in, that world has changed. Let's bring the big man back!

In your opinion, how do shotguns compare to other weapon types overall?

Its not not an opinion, its a fact - they are weak. Low dps even upclose and unusable at range due to harsh falloff and spread.

Very long reload time and very small mag on most shotguns too, even with the syndicate mod that gives Hek very good damage, its still performing worse than good rifles. 

1. Being able to name our gear would be nice. Little unnecessary, but I don't see the harm in being able to do so (aside from the jokes and stuff people will make using the Galatine.)

2. Shotguns desperately need a buff, as right now they are overclassed by every weapon. Every other weapon can do what Shotguns do but better. Rifles can kill in close and long range, Pistols as well.

3.More Shotguns would be nice, but I think it should hold off until the current batch is fixed and they're given a more...stable, role.

4. I think Energy Weapons should have some new Resource mechanic rather than sharing the same ammo pick-ups with Bullet weapons.

5.In my opinion the two abilities Rhino needs changed the most are Rhino Charge and Iron Skin.

Rhino Charge falls off mid/high level content hard, and aside from movement does not offer much more utility,

Iron Skin is near Godmode at low/Mid level content but becomes incredibly weak at high level content.

7. Infested Fog should stay in some missions where it'd be appropriate, but should have some more work done to it before being implemented so that low-machine users do not suffer as much as they did during the event mission.

I'm all up for renames, but remain hesitant. I seriously don't need to see hundreds of crude/vulgar names displayed for me to read. If it remained personal to the player, sure. I know you can see other player's Kubrow names...some are pretty bad.

Rhino- I don't have him, but the question. Why take the strength of a frame (personal skill) and buff it more? Why is that useful when it's pretty much effective as is?

Fog: YES. Totally enjoyed it and wouldn't mind having a few different levels with it.

Shotguns: I have one. I think it sucks...maybe because I do have to be exceptionally close to see the fact it does damage.

Energy Weapons: I don't have one yet, but play with somebody who uses one constantly. Gets on my nerves. I'll be setting up for a shot and here he comes spraying everything, neverending ammo as is. If it slowed down the amount of constant spray, sure, a recharge would make sense. Either that or have the dang thing run out of ammo more often for regular pickups. 100% hit rate with your eyes closed should make you work a little to keep it reloaded.

NICKNAMES

YES.

I WANT TO NICKNAME MY SNIPERTRON VANDAL "LUKE'S HANDY DANDY POINT 'N' CLICK ADVENTURE SOLUTION"

ENERGY POOL FOR ENERGY WEAPONS

I don't see why not.

INFESTED FOG

I find it unnecessary.

It just doesn't look right in my opinion, and the infested don't even look scary enough, nor are we vulnerable enough for it to be warranted.

DESteve probably knows why the fog is used in games like Resident Evil and Silent hill. One was to cover up the draw distance, and the other to was to allow your brain to subconsciously put your worst fears in that silhouette in the distance.

FAVORITE FRAMES

Excalibur, duh.
Second is probably Volt, since electricity is my type of thing.

Why haven't you added an air animation to slash dash yet? Or a horizontal super jump while sliding?

RHINO

Rhino charge A.K.A. reused code from Slash Dash.

My suggestion: 

Press button - congrats now you're running fast - ragdoll everything - watch yo energy cuz it's slowly ticking down - ??? - Profit

SHOTGUNS

REMOVE DAMAGE FALLOFF remove damage falloff...etc etc
I was going to write a lengthy warframe copypasta but it's really hard to think at 1pm.

Here my opinion ...

Naming your gear , Why not but feel a bit useless , and you can some abuse , you know what I mean , Put some swearing /mock/racial thing in that.

Shotgun : They are weak , close range , any pistol will do better , even if I enjoy using  sometime ,oh and theire way more thing to customise in shotgun than others weapon (since they are being slow , slow to reload and kinda weak)

Ammo for energy weapon which mean RNG no thanks 

Rhino : he need to be reviewed since you guys did stealth nerf on him (Don't say you did'nt , like some Nova which eat some stealth nerf to) 

Iron skin got so weak that it's nearly useless , it's cool on low area , but it used to be good everywhere and needed more than one bullet to take it off , for Stomp Do I need to say for the major nerf on the damage you did? it's Weak ,some "Ash" would laught at this

For that special fog : well you said it yourself it's special and should remain , Maybe for DE alert (after stream) or event's and not sure if everybody enjoy that kind of stuff

Maybe rather than having the ability to name all of our gear, what if you could name 1 piece of gear per however many mastery rank, that piece of gear could get some sort of buff maybe (possibly extra mod slot or capacity) so that it could become a sort of signature weapon or relic for you as a player.

For example if you assumed you got 1 named weapon per 3 mastery ranks and you were mastery 6 then you could name 2 weapons which may be your Dakra and your Boltor Prime maybe (Just 2 random weapons I picked). You could name them "Storm Blade" and "ThunderLord" for example and each would have something making it more powerful than others of that weapon (Just slightly with mod spaces so to not throw balance out the window). 

This gives the element of fun with names and empowerment and the ability to show off your signature weapons. I think that the names should show to team mates, but the actual weapon should actually show as well. 

Next to think about, what if you could add sort of decals to names weapons a bit like sigils for weapons.

Anything that makes mastery rank more than just a grind with limited perks, I am all down for it.

Shotguns need falloff damage removed.

They also need their chance to cause status to be PER SHOT and not PER PELLET.

The Flux Rifle should also have its status changed to PER SHOT and not PER SECOND since it uses up ammo so fast.

Making it per pellet was the nail in the coffin for shotguns in general.

Which is a shame because at point blank and close-mid range they should be the BEST type of firearms in the game.

Even before the nerfs the only worthwhile one was Boar Prime and maybe the Drakgoon.

The Corvas also suffers these problems x10 due to the massive damage rampup in Archwing.

Edited by Kruglov