Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Think Destiny Is Getting "hated On" So Much.

Kylecrafts

Just a few reasons why I think Destiny's getting flak. Feel free to discuss!

1. It's "cool" to do it! Hating on Destiny is considered a "cool" thing to do.

2. You are guaranteed likes/up votes by doing it.

3. Destiny isn't what a lot of people expected it to be.

4. This is the internet. Douchebags can get their kicks insulting/trolling/slandering anonymously.

5. It got waaaaay over-hyped.

This is all just my opinion. I like destiny, and are willing to look past it's "meh" storyline, and repetitive nature, for it's excellent gameplay. Repetitvity bothers me less, since games a lá Warframe have got me used to that nature. Please keep responses clean. :)

~Kylecrafts

Edited by Kylecrafts

I was in the Destiny forums for a while after it got released, the majority of criticism came form the simple fact that it lacked the content and had lousy gameplay. 

They attempted to make a story very intriguing and interesting, but they failed horribly in execution, the fact that it doesn't have voice chat or a simple matchmaking system for certain missions just makes it mind boggling when they expect you to do this kind of stuff with a team.

Yes, it got extremely over-hyped, like very hyped up. 

Edited by TheErebus

Actually the game is bad in general from every standpoint lol. A lied about unfinished product that takes 2 hours to clear with each class lol. Also it's just Call of Halo, sorry not everyone jumps on the pay 60$ for a crap game bandwagon :D.

Well not really. 

It is horribly flawed, there is no denying this. But the game does have potential, I'm very positive that the next Destiny will be leagues better than the first one. Considering how this is Bungie we're talking about.

Honestly, my only opinion on it is that it's too similar to a MMO, but it also lacks content.

So, having said that, if I was going to play something with such a MMO feel like Destiny, then I might as well play Guild Wars 2.

If I wanted the gun play, well Warframe fits that and so does CoD4 on PC.

Destiny is a great game at its core, but it has a lot of fixing to do. 

Well not really. 

It is horribly flawed, there is no denying this. But the game does have potential, I'm very positive that the next Destiny will be leagues better than the first one. Considering how this is Bungie we're talking about.

while I agree it shouldn't have to come to that, they lied plain and simple and expect people to pay for 1/10th of an alpha lol.

Three and five go hand-in-hand.  Bungie failed to deliver, can't blame anyone but them and Activision for that.  It's a good, legitimate reason to hate the game.

One, two, and four are unfortunately applicable to many things, not just Destiny, or games in general.  Television shows, movies, youtubers, celebrities, anything mainstream, it's considered cool to hate them for no other reason than to hate them.  It's an annoying trend into hipster retardation that I've been seeing a lot of lately.  I miss the days when hipsters were mocked and insulted, not praised.

while I agree it shouldn't have to come to that, they lied plain and simple and expect people to pay for 1/10th of an alpha lol.

Actually, they didn't lie. But a lot of S#&$ happened in Bungie studios which really made things worse during development. 

But in all honesty, the game is just mediocre. 

It isn't 10/10 or even 7/10.

It's like 5/10 or a "meh".

Well not really. 

I fully agree Bungie will learn from their mistakes. Destiny2 will be awesome.

No.

People dislike Destiny because aside from its gameplay, it was average.

It was overhyped too, but that's not the only reason it was a let down.

The story was awful.

A lot of content was cut.

The AI is rubbish.

There's a big lack of stuff to do, too. Redoing the same thing over and over is NOT 'lots of content'.

Warframe does that too, but Warframe has SO MUCH MORE stuff to do.

Also every single boss outside of the raid is the same.

They don't dislike cos it's 'cool' to dislike it.

People have opinions. You deal with it.

Also, the argument of 'it's their first MMO" can't be used right. Because yeah, it's their first one, but they've had TEN YEARS of MMOs to look back on to learn things like how to make a decent boss.

Also yes it's an MMO, or at least close enough to be compared to one.

I fully agree Bungie will learn from their mistakes. Destiny2 will be awesome.

They should fix this one first

Edited by AdunSaveMe

They should fix this one first

They can't. 

The core problems with Destiny stem from the gameplay. The repetitive nature is what is killing it and this would require them to re-work nearly everything in the game in order to "fix" it.

Personally, I think they should just release the DLC and then move on to Destiny 2. 

Edited by TheErebus

They can't. 

The core problems with Destiny stem from the gameplay. The repetitive nature is what is killing it and this would require them to re-work nearly everything in the game in order to "fix" it.

Personally, I think they should just release the DLC and then move on to Destiny 2. 

Why not? Blizzard did it with Diablo 3. It's not impossible.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

I just realized... Destiny has the same exact flaws Warframe had in its early days.... :p

Fortunately,our game evolved and still is, learning from previous mistakes (even if looking back to fix things/add previous promises should be more frequent).

Also, the argument of 'it's their first MMO" can't be used right. Because yeah, it's their first one, but they've had TEN YEARS of MMOs to look back on to learn things like how to make a decent boss.

Also yes it's an MMO, or at least close enough to be compared to one.

This.  +Other shooters with boss fights.  Some of them really good.

Of course, this seems to be a common theme among MMO developers - for some reason they develop their game like they can do no wrong and that they're being super innovative when in reality they're copying what the other mediocre titles have done code line for code line, and the cycle keeps perpetuating because somewhere in the studio, someone is too full of themselves to believe they need to reference other titles for good ideas.  As a minor example, Warframe and Guild Wars 2 got dye coloring right.  Most games seem to struggle to put together even a half decent dye system.  Games like Aion arguably got character creation right (see also:  Eve online, Sims 4 and Black Desert's creator as what I'd say are "innovative" and "the new standard") but most games still have maybe a handful of faces and hairstyles and possibly a bunch of inconsequential sliders that effectively do nothing.  Why?  Either because the developers don't know of these intuitive character editors or they simply don't care.

Here's an example that puts Warframe in a bad light: parkour.  Mirror's Edge and more recently Titanfall have produced far more responsive parkour movesets.  If games without parkour existed, Warframe would still see some flack, but people wouldn't "know better" so they'd be less privy to the overall clunkiness of Warframe's parkour.  But these games do exist, and now DE is expected to at least attempt to match those standards.  Preferably the former title over the latter.

Standards bars are all over the place, but developers constantly ignore them, and then they and their fans act surprised when people call them out on producing a crappy under-par product.

In Destiny's case, it didn't even live up to it's heritage in the Halo series, and completely failed in the one thing MMO's are known for and arguably thrive on - social systems.

P.S.  Warframe gets a pass on character creation.  I mean, we're in power armor and arguably playing predefined characters, like those in League of Legends, and this is a loose comparison.  Mono-Tenno theorists need not argue here as that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Edited by Littleman88

What did they do? 

I don't remember an entire change in how the gameplay worked in it.

They didn't change gameplay much, but they changed most other things.

Level generation, difficulty, removing the auction house, and loot drops. It was most of the game.

Destiny's gameplay is fine. Everything else isn't.

The concept was what pulled me in and got me interested. So, when I heard the story was poorly done, my personal hype train exploded.

Plus, the repetitive gameplay (though probably tolerable since I play Warframe) repelled me from the game.

Considering how many resources went into the game only to have it collapse in on itself, I don't think we'll be seeing something big from Bungie for a while.

They'd better get it together by then.

I'm somewhat thankful they did not initially release it for the PC. My lack of consoles probably saved me a good $60, and with all the negativity the game is getting from those that play it, I doubt I'll even buy a copy if they ever do release a PC port.

To me, Destiny feels like Aliens: Colonial Marines all over again. Overly hyped, released in a half-baked state for the full price, poor story, bad AI (though A:CM was even worse), and of course, the promise of DLC that should have been part of the game on release.

The only redeeming quality I see in Destiny is the soundtrack, it's a freaking emotional ride, courtesy of Marty O'Donnel. I love the soundtracks.

Here's an example that puts Warframe in a bad light: parkour.  Mirror's Edge and more recently Titanfall have produced far more responsive parkour movesets.  If games without parkour existed, Warframe would still see some flack, but people wouldn't "know better" so they'd be less privy to the overall clunkiness of Warframe's parkour.  But these games do exist, and now DE is expected to at least attempt to match those standards.  Preferably the former title over the latter.

I think Assassins Creed is a good example of parkour.

They can't. 

Doesn't Destiny have some 10 year plan or something though?