Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Severe Game Start-Up/loading/desktop(Task Manager) Problems.

Zoey_Corredan

Hello all and DE staff.

First off my apologies if such a bug was already reported in another thread, forum search results (even in sub-sections) came up with 0 useful results. (Be it similar or with actual info like problem or cause of said problem.)

Ever since the Archwing/U15 update or one or more hotfixes that followed, the game has been having some serious problems when trying to start and load the game after pressing play on the launcher/patcher, which resulted in monitors turning dark (inactive or such like sleep mode) etc, and forced the game to be closed through task manager and restarted multiple times, sometimes 2-6 restarts were needed before the game even worked properly.

Will list some things that may help, some like possible causes may have things listed from my end aswell as the game's, may not be 100% sure about all of the things though.

**Some info;

Windows 7, 64bit, 2 monitors/screens, game launched through Steam.

**Problems with start-up/loading;

1. The game starts but both monitors are dark and nothing happens for a while (1-10 minutes) then the game finally lets me reach the desktop and needs to be closed through task manager. (Game still frozen or not responding until closed)

2.a The game starts and the main monitor is white like the game window is frozen (2nd monitor is fine), also shows edges like it went to windowed mode, force-closed with task manager.

2.b The game starts and the same problem as 2.a but with the 2nd monitor dark.

3.a The game starts but get's stuck somewhere in the loading screen and forces the game to be closed through task manager. (In this instance it may or may not allow instant desktop reach to

3.b Same problem as 3.a but both monitors are dark.

(Edit: added 4. and 5.)

4. (Had these more often recently) After pressing play both monitors turn dark but the main one shows a low-brightness loading screen (loading bar but no loading process) and nothing happens like it froze, in these casses pressing start to reach Task Manager does nothing and the game can maybe be stuck in a never-ending frozen loading screen, alt+ctrl+delete so far allowed reaching task manager.

5. Apparently I'm stuck in some crazy loading screen, 2nd monitor stays active as the main game one is on a low-brightness frozen loading screen, after pressing start to close through task manager the game window turns white. (Can't play at all like this..)

**Possible(?) causes;

1. Having 2 or more monitors.

2. Having task manager or nothing selected after clicking Play on the launcher/patcher. (It goes dark or works either way so as stated above, not 100% sure on this)

3. Something you guys changed with the game's fullscreen coding.

4. Something is conflicting with the fullscreen coding of the game.

(Perhaps it thinks the 2nd monitor must be inactive and just disables it for whatever reason, not sure but quite unwanted, need the 2nd monitor active)

Like the 3rd in Possible causes, the game also seems to be having some issue and will not allow going to the desktop to do things like opening a folder, etc. Windowed mode is required each time or a full game restart. (windowed not checked yet if that even works)

**After pressing start when in fullscreen;

Cursor appears but you can't do anything but go back to the game or close it through task manager (if you have task manager open on the other monitor at all) or by going back to the game and using alt+f4 if you want to do something like copy your clan's recruiting message from a notepad file.

**Things that won't fix this (so don't bother copy-pasting them from your standard question notepad file) ;

1. Restarting pc.

2. Restarting game.

3. Re-installing game.

4. Re-installing windows 7 and such. (No way in hell I'm doing that, too much important stuff to re-install it all.)

5. Run game as admin.

6. Start game with different game settings. (Not going to bother with this, like windowed mode, because as soon as I switch to fullscreen once in-game it will just ruin the 2nd monitor again.)

**Edit part:

Going to run the repair option for a moment. No repair file in the steam directory or option on the launcher/patcher. Verifying integrity through steam will just re-download the whole game (evil Valve... :( ) so will do that as last option or during night time.

Thanks for taking some time to read it and hope some solution and/or fix can be found and if anyone (DE staff) needs some extra info let me know. (Think EE.log requires a ticket though)

Edited by Zaira_Thessara

I've been having similar issues. Haven't been able to play at all since U15 and none of the hotfixes since then have fixed the problem in any way. My specs are a lot more ancient, though; currently running Windows XP 32bit with one small monitor, running through Steam. 

When trying to play, one of the following happens each time after hitting "Play" from the launcher;
(A)
1. Misaligned border (only the border, nothing in the window itself) for the game appears, as if it were in windowed mode.
2. Screen goes black, then a box appears on the monitor that reads "Monitor going to sleep...", followed by the computer restarting itself.

(B)
1. Misaligned border (only the border, nothing in the window itself) for the game appears, as if it were in windowed mode.
2. Monitor bluescreens with white text for a brief moment before the computer forces itself off.

©
1. Misaligned border (only the border, nothing in the window itself) for the game appears, as if it were in windowed mode.
2. Loading screen appears. Progress bar makes it about halfway before freezing up entirely. I cannot Alt+tab out, nor will Alt+F4 close the game or the Task Manager open. Hard reset is the only solution.

(D)
2. Loading screen appears. Progress bar makes it about halfway before freezing up entirely. When forcing it off by Alt+F4 or closing it via Task Manager, the monitor bluescreens with white text for a brief moment before the computer forces itself off.

I know they're trying their hardest to fix things, as is evident by the number of hotfixes, but it's really quite infuriating having the game abruptly unplayable after I've put about $750 into it since my first day. I had bought Nyx Prime's PA Accessories pack shortly before U15 was released; the main reason I buy those are for the Affinity and Credit boosters, and now I've lost two and a half weeks and counting that I paid for but am entirely unable to use because of U15's bugs. I don't want to sound greedy, but I would expect some sort of compensation for those of us who are losing out over an issue we have no control over.

EDIT: And yes, I have submitted support tickets, but none of the suggestions fixed my problem. At one point, they just made them worse.

Edited by N0VAXIS