Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De! Y U No Suportt Moding!

Well... they are incorporating player created content through contests, the weapon skins, i think that is somehow a first step towards modding, maybe some day we will be able to create skins for frames or even alternate helmets and submit them to get approved like in Dota 2

Mostly because it opens up some annoying cans of worms.

Firstly, DE update the game weekly, this would likely break certain mods for whatever reason

Secondly is distribution, steam is by far the best avenue for it, but not all pc guys use it, then you also have the console guys who cant access it.

So if they wanted to unilaterally support modding there would be a bit of extra work there.

Next is the client/host issue. Because the game is p2p based, rather than on server, you can't really do mods client side, what the host had would be seen by all, and I doubt DE would want naked hitler rhinos spoiling games for all.

Those are the main reasons, but there are more

TF2 is pretty much a finish game, with assets never changing.  

Warframe the assets are being updated, and coding even being opitimized as time goes on.  

Even mods that just effect client side of things for games.  Specially MMO style games, can still get a persons account banned and/or deleted if found out.   And thats just for something that changes how the interface looks for the player that is using it, it affects nobody else and doesn't impact the game :/.  

Just different companies take different looks at these things, and make a choice based on what they feel is the best course of action.

Big'ole can o' worms right there. Extra work, potentially dangerous exploits...

Dangerous exploits? How can you get an exploit out of a player created content that only DE can approve of? Say I make an Ether Claymore. Looks badass right? SO I send it in for 130p and if DE approves it. They'll decide the stat and put it in game for every one. Simple as that! Won't take very long. In fact it can give the artists in DE to take a break.

Dangerous exploits? How can you get an exploit out of a player created content that only DE can approve of? Say I make an Ether Claymore. Looks badass right? SO I send it in for 130p and if DE approves it. They'll decide the stat and put it in game for every one. Simple as that! Won't take very long. In fact it can give the artists in DE to take a break.

Have to consider the load times and latency increases that would be caused when getting thrown into public matches utilizing mods that not everyone had. Load time would be dramatically increased for those people while their client downloaded the relevant information, and could potentially cause even more disconnects/failed joins/whatever multiplayer connection problems here.

In regards to the "I make this, then submit the idea to DE for approval" They already take from stuff like that, if memory serves popular things in the community tend to become canon or be implemented based on their popularity.

On a serious note, why doesn't DE support limited modding? By "limited," I mean approved modding. Valve does this with TF2.

So I just want to ask:

Y u no do dis?

Whenever someone mods the game in TF2, it is on servers which allow public access (in which many of them only mod the weapon selections). 

If they did this with Warframe, it would be disastrous. 

It's hard.

Other games have hats, we have armor-sets, syandana and now sigills.

Player moddable content that will not break are:

Helmets. Clothing. Armor. Custom addons to weapons. Textures. Sigills.

Constraints: Bounding box, rigging limitations= number bones, anchors.

Size= Scale must conform with models, or bound to item; Boltor can only use the boltor-skin/cosmetic addons.

Requirements: Texture maps, models and files for sigills must all be approved by DE.

So it can be done, but not easily. De would need to add a modding part of the game first.

Maby down the line?