Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Invasions Are More Enjoyable Than Normal Missions And Why Syndicate Missions Should Follow A Similar Route

(PSN)IIIDevoidIII

Disclaimer: Note that these are my express opinions and do not necessarily portray a widespread opinion. Your opinion may differ, and that is okay.

Invasion missions, within themselves, invoke a sense of progress and completion.

For the rewards, players are working toward a forseeable goal; in three completions they will get a Fieldron, or in five missions they will get that wonderoulsy glorious potato. 

Receiving something rather useful, and knowing that you will receive that something, is rare in this game. You can be working toward farming a forma for hours, and then find that an ivasion or alert pops up with it available, and now that you see it is available, you know you will get it, and this is exciting.

For the gameplay, fighting alongside a faction other than your three Tenno brethren to wipe and claim a hostile territory? If you let yourself, this is a type of immersion that is simply more enjoyable than grinding out Corpus for half an hour. Protecting allies in battle, letting them group up to smack the front line of the enemy is a wonderfully sculpted battle where the player is the scripted hero. This provides a power and leadership mentality.

Normally, the enemies are eximus leaders, or several of the heavy enemies, which can lead to a satisfyingly difficult victory (if you aren't OPing your way through it, of course).

These two things lead to a simple satisfaction that running a mission to kill, survive, or steal things and leave just doesn't provide. What I wish to see with Syndicate specific missions is something similar. A notification pops up in navigation like it does now. Going to it, it displays you will receive this specific amount of rep, or a syndicate specific reward.

These missions will be tiered like invasions, five runs to complete, but preferably these five runs won't be the same 'kill these things five times'; it will be: "locate this zone and clear it out", "search the zone for information", "enemy reinforcements inbound, defend the terminal while data is being recovered and then escape", or something similar. Some progression, a mini-story or quest. 
With this progression would be increasing amounts of rewards determined by how many phases you complete.

And fighting along your Syndicate AI allies would be a must to complete the picture, possibly fighting other Syndicates.

I know that this would require the modeling, sculpting, building, recording and creation of all new models and enemies, but I feel in the end that this direction would be the most appropriate direction in terms of user satisfaction, and general enjoyment.

The immersion given, and the solid stock, set and ready awards I feel is the correct direction to be heading toward, as the core gameplay is more or less built and completed.

I am very interested in seeing more complex missions, and syndicate missions would be a good way to introduce it.

I would never do it if it requires multiple runs though. I hate running a specific mission a set number of times to get a reward. That kills all fun and achievement in it. It makes it tedious and pointless. I quit doing any non-potato invasions after Gradivus the moment I realised they were never going to make them better, just reduce the rewards.

EDIT: Seeing your response, it looks like you are meaning 5 different missions more like a quest. That could be good.

Edited by egregiousRac

I agree with the visible, specific, reward being good.

I disagree with multiple missions.

When you have to do five "runs" it takes the focus off the individual mission for me and I see that in other players it encourages the whole "rusher" mentality.

I would prefer future missions like invasions operate on single missions, maybe with DIFFICULT to meet conditions for a bonus, specific, reward like a rescue 2.0 mission where if you don't ever trip any alarms, in or out of the main prison room, you get your potato. An excavation where you excavate at least three times and never have an extractor destroyed. A defense mission where the pod never gets touched. Etc. etc.

Edited by VKhaun

When you have to do five "runs" it takes the focus off the individual mission for me and I see that in other players it encourages the whole "rusher" mentality.

I would prefer future missions like invasions operate on single missions, maybe with DIFFICULT to meet conditions for a bonus, specific, reward like a rescue 2.0 mission where if you don't ever trip any alarms, in or out of the main prison room, you get your potato. An excavation where you excavate at least three times and never have an extractor destroyed. A defense mission where the pod never gets touched. Etc. etc.

It could be like this, though it feels a bit tacky. 

Perhaps a progressive single missions that you can quit after a section of this mission. Each section becomes progressively more difficult and the objective and location may change. So a rather large map, depending.

Would that be more appealing?

It could be like this, though it feels a bit tacky. 

Perhaps a progressive single missions that you can quit after a section of this mission. Each section becomes progressively more difficult and the objective and location may change. So a rather large map, depending.

Would that be more appealing?

Archwing before/after?

Mission -> Extraction OR go outside in spaaaaacceeeee for a second stage mission with bonus.

Archwing -> Extraction OR go inside the ship/base for a second stage mission with bonus.

I agree with the OP and actually like the idea of a progressive multiple mission structure.

Like the first one being to board the enemy vessel in a archwing trenchrun,the second being the player sabotaging the enemy ship to allow the allied party to board,the third one being a timed survival till allies arrive,the fourth one an extermination and the fith one being either a defense mission till extraction or a blow up the reactor sabotage.

Biggest problem I see with that is matchmaking as it would severly cut the already split up syndicate playerbase even further.

I find running the same mission 5 times a bit draining though. It takes the novelty away.

If each successive mission made little changes, like you were pushing the enemy back farther, then it wouldn't be too bad. As an example: say you were doing a grineer invasion, each fight would start you farther into the corpus ship as you pushed them out of your own. At the end maybe you would do something like blow up the core and have to escape or something to that effect with the same intense "gtfo now!" feel the first archwing quest had (maybe even lead into a bonus mission with an archwing? *wink wink*)