Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"i've Seen This Before" Effect

Llyssa

With the advent of the ability progression, it seems a bit odd, particularly as someone who's previously maxed many, many things.

As veterans get used to seeing things, they can make quicker understanding of the basics. The finer points are always harder to learn, but when you've mastered the art of running a circle in 1 warframe, you've basically mastered them all.

As you increase the breadth of your knowledge, less and less surprises you. You're pretty sure you've got a good idea what will happen when you pull the trigger.

In the spirit of that logic, it seems like that should be a function of mastery rank. In actual game terms, it would be a minor-league perk to actually getting "ALL THE THINGS".

Suggested application, as such:

(Mastery Rank-rank)/Mastery Rank bonus to affinity gained.

So, for example:

MR 5 player with a new gun:

r0->1==100% bonus

r1->2==80% bonus

r2->3==60% bonus

r3->4==40% bonus

r4->5==20% bonus

r5+==normal progression

Overall, this would be a very slight boost--it would be most impactful on ranks where extremely little affinity is required anyway(any player mr1 or above would only need 250 affinity to rank up a weapon from r0->1 and lose the 100% bonus), and slowly become obsolete as you reach places where you'd need it most(as an mr17, the 5% bonus on r16->17 will mean I need only 275k instead of 289k...).

So, this wouldn't be unbalancing or harmful, but it would make the rather tedious first few ranks(particularly on warframes) go a bit faster, and give a meager(but eternally tangible) benefit to acquiring mastery ranks.

I thought this was a thread about Viver threads. I'm pleasantly surprised to find a novel and interesting suggestion. I tend to agree with it, though it's kinda late for me to actually think it through to see potential drawbacks; I'll follow the thread to see what others think.

Hold on a sec.

I go to Sechura, jump on a high spot, then suddenly, I need to go the bathroom for 30 seconds.

I come back, and my gun has probably hit Rank 5 already.

A single extermination run on Earth (L1-L3) gets an Unranked gun to about level 3 or 4. The amount of Affinity in this game is mostly needed at the high end, because a handful of runs anywhere will get you to 10 without you even having it equipped.

If I'm reading it correctly, your idea makes no sense purely for the reason that, as you stated, the difference is so tiny, that even If I knew I was testing for it, I would not be able to tell it's actually active.

Someone already stated that they were getting 2000 Affinity per Eximus when they were testing the new Syndicate mods with the special power.

Am I reading this wrong? What am I missing here?

Hold on a sec.

I go to Sechura, jump on a high spot, then suddenly, I need to go the bathroom for 30 seconds.

I come back, and my gun has probably hit Rank 5 already.

A single extermination run on Earth (L1-L3) gets an Unranked gun to about level 3 or 4. The amount of Affinity in this game is mostly needed at the high end, because a handful of runs anywhere will get you to 10 without you even having it equipped.

If I'm reading it correctly, your idea makes no sense purely for the reason that, as you stated, the difference is so tiny, that even If I knew I was testing for it, I would not be able to tell it's actually active.

Someone already stated that they were getting 2000 Affinity per Eximus when they were testing the new Syndicate mods with the special power.

Am I reading this wrong? What am I missing here?

Math?

Some quick numbers:

For a default frame, you need a total of 9,455,000 to reach rank 30, and 2,109,000 to reach rank 18.

For a default weapon, you need a total of 4,727,500 to reach rank 30 and 1,054,500 to reach rank 18.

With this implimented, an MR 18 player would need  9,023,034 to reach rank 30 frame and  4,511,517 to reach rank 30 weapon. That's still very similar, so it's still quite fair/balanced: a savings of only 4% of the total affinity needed--that's less than 1/2 of the cost of going r29->30

HOWEVER: An MR 18 player would need 1,677,034 for a frame to reach rank 18, and 838,517 for a weapon to reach rank 18.

That would be a savings of about 21% of the total affinity needed, and would mean that a player on MR 18 would get a frame to 18 in the same amount of time it takes a current player(or an MR 0 under this system) to get a frame to 15. That means the MR 18 gets 3 more mod slots(6 with a potato), and unlocks 2 higher tier abilities in the same amount of time.

Or, in your example, you can get a gun to rank 4 on a single mission right now, but the MR 18 could get a gun to rank 6(or 7 if you didn't get *exactly* enough for 4, but we'll say you just broke 4) with the same amount of affinity. That's 50% more ranks(4 potatoed mod slots) for that effort. That's another mod installed, or a better mod installed, after one mission.

For the similar thing on a frame, that would translate to unlocking 2 more skills that are otherwise locked, plus badly needed health, shields, and energy max.

World shattering? No. That would be bad and pointless.

Makes the absolutely most-annoying part of the game less annoying? Yes, massively so.

And that is the point.

Edited by Llyssa