The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate System 2.0

TankHunter678

The syndicate system as it is currently implemented frankly needs a lot of work. However it does have a lot of potential that could really help turn warframe into a great game though it does need rework to the base systems to help make that happen.

Problem: Rep as it stands decreases whenever you rank up, spend it on items, or do a mission for an opposing faction leading to being deterred from using the rep until max rank otherwise you slow yourself to the point where getting to the mods can become impossible.

Solution: Split the Rep system into 2 subsystems. Honor and Favor.

Honor is gained from completing missions, does not reset upon ranking up, and can only be decreased by working with opposing factions. Honor determines when you become available for the next Rank.

Favor is gained from completing missions, or by making offerings. It does not reset upon ranking up and decreases upon spending. Favor is spent to obtain syndicate items, sigils, and mods, it is the currency of the system. Favor does not determine when you become available for the next Rank.

Problem: Ranking up requires rare resources and items/potatos only obtained easily through the use of plat, otherwise hiding behind massive RNG walls or limited time alerts that can be missed due to real life issues or not even knowing they happened. Leading to newer players hitting potentially impassable walls without having to resort to spending plat and using the bandaid solution that is trading. Further it takes away key resources that the new players need in order to enhance their play.

Solution: Resources, Potatoes, Prime Items, and Credits are no longer needed for Ranking Up or Initiation. Instead Ranking Up and Initiation requires the player to run a fixed map special mission, much like a Mastery Test, in order to prove themselves to rise up the ranks.

Problem: The previous solution removes the resource and credit sink that are Offerings.

Solution: Offerings is changed from being used to rank up, to being a secondary source of Favor. Based upon the amount of the Resources or Credits, and in the case of Resources the type as well, being offered to the syndicate you are rewarded with Favor. Allowing players to use excess resources and credits as a means of enhancing their ability to afford syndicate items, sigils, and mods. While also putting a much more effective resource, and later on credit, sink into the game that can combat resource, and credit, inflation for both the new and the old player.

Problem: Rep gain is tied to exp, which is poorly balanced amongst all game modes resulting in people being further discouraged from utilizing other mission nodes then endless modes, and even then only one or two nodes.

Solution: Rep gain is changed from being based on warframe exp, to being based on mission type and level with modifications based on the mechanics of the mission. Assassins and Syndicate squads give rep boosts based off of their level. Rep gained is to be balanced against the rank the players of those planets are expected to be around as well as the general "ease" the rank should be obtained.

As an example, a Exterminate, Sabotage, Spy, or Capture mission on a low level planet like Earth or Mercury would grant 200 Rep per completion. While on a high level planet like Pluto would grant 1000 Rep.

Endless mission types would have their base rep gain per time block (survival), wave (defense and interception), or drills (excavation) determined by planet, with the amount of rep gained scaling with the levels of the mobs. However the general idea is that the same amount of average time spent is equal to the average time of the non endless modes.

Assassination missions determine their Rep Gain based off of the average of the boss level and the planet level.

Beyond that the Syndicates need a major content expansion. There are a lot of suggestions for that that can be found around the forums, such as in this thread by the community mod Einde as an example.

I like the idea of favor

I loathe the idea of mastery style rank missions. Those missions just plain suck. They're a nice break from the usual but sometimes they're also next-to or totally impossible. Gathering the materials required for the ranks currently is not hard for veteran players. Perhaps they just need to choose different materials?

Edited by mrecentric

Excellent, excellent ideas!

Not so much a fan of how much rep you say to get per mission, but I think these are some great suggestions!

+1

Well numbers are always subject to change, it is mainly to get the idea out there.

At 200 rep a non-endless mission on a low level planet like earth and mercury a rank 3 player can expect to hit rank 1 in 25 missions which is very reasonable. Even fewer missions if they can also do pretty well in survival/excavation/defense.

I like the idea of favor

I loathe the idea of mastery style rank missions. Those missions just plain suck. They're a nice break from the usual but sometimes they're also next-to or totally impossible. Gathering the materials required for the ranks currently is not hard for veteran players. Perhaps they just need to choose different materials?

It is mainly that mastery style missions are all fixed. They have a fixed map so once you know the map, you know what to do in order to get things done effectively which is what I am aiming for. I also want to see fixed map design for syndicate missions so that DE can put in special events to change the missions up and make them overall harder, while also being able to make more advanced AI's adapted to such maps.

So that players can get a challenge that is not just bigger numbers. However that is a discussion for a different topic.

Edited by TankHunter678

Some really good stuff here. I really like the idea for splitting rep into Honor and Favor. A good idea that I could definitely see coming into play.

I'm a bit mixed on changing/removing offerings. They are supposed to be a real sacrifice to show your dedication, but on the other hand I know I'm biased due to being one of the older players who has this kinda stuff just sitting around. Not sure I can offer a good alternative that fits with that theme for now. The challenge idea certainly isn't bad but I feel it's missing something for being a trial to determine true dedication.

Mission/objective based rep rewards I like, however I wouldn't replace the affinity conversion with this myself. Personally I think what we need is a variety of methods to gain rep, the affinity works for people who just want to go out and kill everything, and the harder the things they kill are the better. The problem is that we don't have an alternative for people who like to do other things. I'd personally also like to see syndicate themed items or resources that can be found in out of the way or otherwise hidden areas as well that can be used to contribute towards rep and such.

Might check out this thread here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/340692-refining-the-syndicate-system/ for some more detailed discussion on this sorta thing. There's a lotta text so I'd prefer to not have to attempt to paraphrase all the good points there if possible.

Some really good stuff here. I really like the idea for splitting rep into Honor and Favor. A good idea that I could definitely see coming into play.

I'm a bit mixed on changing/removing offerings. They are supposed to be a real sacrifice to show your dedication, but on the other hand I know I'm biased due to being one of the older players who has this kinda stuff just sitting around. Not sure I can offer a good alternative that fits with that theme for now. The challenge idea certainly isn't bad but I feel it's missing something for being a trial to determine true dedication.

Mission/objective based rep rewards I like, however I wouldn't replace the affinity conversion with this myself. Personally I think what we need is a variety of methods to gain rep, the affinity works for people who just want to go out and kill everything, and the harder the things they kill are the better. The problem is that we don't have an alternative for people who like to do other things. I'd personally also like to see syndicate themed items or resources that can be found in out of the way or otherwise hidden areas as well that can be used to contribute towards rep and such.

Might check out this thread here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/340692-refining-the-syndicate-system/ for some more detailed discussion on this sorta thing. There's a lotta text so I'd prefer to not have to attempt to paraphrase all the good points there if possible.

Well I looked at it that you are already making a sacrifice by increasing the number of enemies you have, as well as your time and dedication.

Forcing a new player to give up something that will enable them to be able to start doing void towers to be able to get prime parts or credits they need to make better equipment makes the system just have brick walls that block the new player from being able to really enjoy syndicate content as they are greatly slowed down in their progression, as well as locking them out of syndicate content that gets added in (such as missions and lore events) that need higher ranks to attempt.

I feel that removing the rep gain from affinity would be better for the star chart overall, since it means new players can ask for help in unlocking the star chart and not be ignored because it no longer means a massive cut to rep gain. It would also let people who are tired of mind numbing farming in places like sechura or vivier to take a break from such practices and not be hurt as bad in rep gain. Also it means that people go back to playing the game modes normally, rather then trying to abuse mechanics to delay the next wave as much as possible in order to get the max amount of rep.

Also because honor only decreases from working with opposing factions, unlike now where it resets every rank up and spending in the shop, it becomes a smooth curve going upward. While the favor that people would be more worried about, given its the currency in the shop, being able to refill quickly does obtain a secondary method that coincides with resource and credit farming normally.

Not to mention that they can still add in the things you mention and others thought up, effects from sigils where certain actions boost rep gain for the mission or artifacts/special non-standard resources you find that you can send off to the syndicate for even more rep.