Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Neutron Star Is A Disappointment

NullCurrent

Nova's Null Star augment mod Neutron Star is a disappointment; it does not do enough damage nor does it have enough range to actually warrant its use, there are a lot more mods which actually improve Null Star more than Neutron Star does.

The damage of the detonation is the same as a single particle does, even with a maximum amount of particles left for the detonation. And the detonation range is the same or smaller than the range of the particles, meaning that they will fire off before you get in range to detonate all of them at the same time. This makes the damage pretty useless unless you are surrounded by more than 4 enemies, which you shouldn't have been in the first place considering Nova's movement speed.

And the claim of a 100% Blast proc does not seem to actually be accurate, considering that I only saw it once against over 20 enemies, which makes it useless compared to just letting the particles fire off one at a time, especially considering the short range.

Essentially the only use for this mod is to make it possible to recast Null Star whenever you want, it does not contribute anything useful to Nova's arsenal. I will let this mod stay in my mod inventory until this mod is improved.

Edited by NullCurrent

Only Mirage's & Excalibro's Augments are even worth considering (because they aren't just "fun effects" but rather substantial buffs).

The rest are garbage and not worth a precious Warframe mod slot.

i think nekros's "Soul survivor" and vauban's "tesla link", might deserve a look

Edited by BoomToon43

i think loki's "safegaurd switch" and vauban's "tesla link", might deserve a look

Oh please. Loki's is probably the worst of the lot.

Only if you intentionally teleport your allies into danger does it have any use; and they will most likely be too mad/confused as to why they are suddenly inside of a mob of angry Grineer to take advantage of the invulnerability.

It should make Loki invulnerable, not his target.

Only Mirage's & Excalibro's Augments are even worth considering (because they aren't just "fun effects" but rather substantial buffs).

The rest are garbage and not worth a precious Warframe mod slot.

e75.jpg how dare you say nekros, zephyr or ash mods are garbage?!

e75.jpg how dare you say nekros, zephyr or ash mods are garbage?!

Because they are not worth sacrificing a valuable Warframe mod slot for.

It is as simple as that.

Plus, in practicality neither one of the three is as awesome as the description makes them seem. For example, Ash's Augment requires his allies to hug him and stick really, really close to him for it to work. Awwwwwwkward.

Well that sounds disappointing, as I was looking forward to that particular mod. At the very least, a guaranteed blast proc from usage would make it a viable 'get out of trouble' button when overwhelmed with enemies.

With regards to them firing off too soon, there is obviously an interval between the times they fire off, but can't you just activate it, then activate again to get most of the null stars to explode?

Well that sounds disappointing, as I was looking forward to that particular mod. At the very least, a guaranteed blast proc from usage would make it a viable 'get out of trouble' button when overwhelmed with enemies.

With regards to them firing off too soon, there is obviously an interval between the times they fire off, but can't you just activate it, then activate again to get most of the null stars to explode?

Even with a guaranteed blast proc you would have to use Overextended to actually get any use whatsoever from it, better to just run than using Neutron Star. So the augmentation both needs an increase in damage as well as range to even be worth considering.

As for firing off too soon, I can only detonate N - 1 particles due to the first one always managing to fire off before I can detonate them, does not matter how fast I am mashing 1. And the range of the particles is larger than the AoE itself, making it impossible to run at enemies and then detonate it.

PS. The blast didn't even kill level 5 enemies, despite having Intensify and Stretch on as well as Continuity and Constitution, making the damage pretty much worthless (Grineer, so affected by some armor, but still, maxed Null Star with maxed augment with maxed boosting mods).

Edited by NullCurrent

By the looks of things...

Seems like they put absolutely no thought into these...

All they thought is how cool it would be...

Seems like they enjoy seeing people waste their time farming for crappy things and whining about it.

Suppose they want people to be the judge and Jury of things and they be the executioner and decide what the real balance shall be after the jury is out.

Vauban's Tesla Link seems good for infested Defense Missions. Not like he needed to be any more OP for those, but it is what it is ...

Disappointed that Nova's isn't as good as I has hoped. I was really looking forward to testing it out. Valkyr's seems pretty good, and Zephyr's might make her more team-friendly and less selfish.

Really hope to see more thought go into these mods, though.

Plus, in practicality neither one of the three is as awesome as the description makes them seem. For example, Ash's Augment requires his allies to hug him and stick really, really close to him for it to work. Awwwwwwkward.

184_by_yuikami_da-d7jv484.jpg

but the grineer do it... why are you afraid to love? D: <3

Vauban's Tesla Link seems good for infested Defense Missions. Not like he needed to be any more OP for those, but it is what it is ...

Not if each tripwire only does ~350 damage on Infested. Even with 6 teslas out, that's only 1050 damage. Not terrible, but not great for anything past Lv20 either. Now if they procced Electric on hit or did something else, that'd be more interesting.

EDIT: This seems... interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAcDWZgiYGs

Giving Neutron Star a larger explosion radius and guaranteed Blast proc doesn't seem too bad an idea. Maybe give the Blast proc a cooldown so Novas don't go around knocking everything down by constantly recasting it. Just enough to make it a good get-off-me tool for when things go wrong.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

most of the augment mods are disappointments... neutron star is honestly above average already. the base explosion radius is 5m, and affected by range mods. so if u have too much -range, the radius becomes too samll to be useful. about the damage... well, nova needs more damage? no she doesnt. so neutron star is a good choice if i want close range protection.

most of the augment mods are disappointments... neutron star is honestly above average already. the base explosion radius is 5m, and affected by range mods. so if u have too much -range, the radius becomes too samll to be useful. about the damage... well, nova needs more damage? no she doesnt. so neutron star is a good choice if i want close range protection.

It seems like you didn't actually read what I wrote about it, so I am going to give you some numbers:

Null Star:

Range: 12m

Damage: 6 * 200 Slash

High chance of slash-proc

Numbers I saw when testing: 150-300 per particle

Neutron Star:

Range: 5m

Damage: 400 Blast

Low chance of blast-proc

Numbers I saw when testing: 50-100 for detonating all particles

The 400 Blast damage is much lower in practice due to range-falloff. The numbers I see are downright pitiful considering all the mods which increase the number of particles and the damage per particle as well as the explosion radius. And it is impossible to get it to do 480 Blast damage due to one particle flying off before you are able to detonate it because of the range discrepancy. I am not claiming that Nova actually needs more damage, but what I am saying is that the augment mod in its current state is not worth using a mod-slot for, you would be much better off with a survivability mod or other power-affecting mod. I would actually go so far as to say that it is not even worth the few fusion cores required to get it to max rank.

Look at it as if it was a normal ability, you trigger Null Star then consume all of the summoned particles for the detonation which means that we can consider the Neutron Star detonation a 25 energy ability. To actually make it worth using it definitely needs more range than Null Star (15m?) and most likely more damage than it currently does, as it is useless at the moment for doing damage considering that a single particle outdamages a maxed AoE. A guaranteed blast proc would also be welcome, as long as it is not easily exploited by spamming Neutron Star (guaranteed knockdown would practically make it a radial version of Banshee's Sonic Boom, so I can live without any damage in that case).

If you REALLY want close range protection, then Neutron Star is complete garbage. You are much better off using Rush to avoid close range-situations, or equip Vigor so you have some more Shield + HP to be able to jump-smash with your melee which will knock them down in a slightly larger radius than Neutron Star.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by NullCurrent

i dont need to read everything u wrote, because i use neutron star now. and i know what it is like. what i said is clear, i think it's above average already, but since overall augment mods are not too good, so u may think it's bad, but that's ur opinion.

Edited by Eric1738

Whats this protection suppose to do?

i dont need to read everything u wrote, because i use neutron star now. and i know what it is like. what i said is clear, i think it's above average already, but since overall augment mods are not too good, so u may think it's bad, but that's ur opinion.

Please, humor me, read it. It is pretty hard to actually have any kind of discussion if people are not reading what the other people write,

Thanks for the heads up OP. This mod was the reason why I even decided to go with steel meridian. Well, that and the excalibur one.

I've been farming some to get into the higher ranks and since I've seen some for sale, I was going to buy instead, but I'll just stick with my regular build for the time being. That means I'll get the ammo/energy/hp bps and leave the syndicates alone as all the stuff they offer (save for those i listed and the t4 keys) seem to be mediocre. 

is anyone really surprised ? none of the aug mods are actually suppose to be good, some are okay and the rest are terribad

aug mods arnt suppose to fix anything or make anything better just think of them as an amusement for your free slot if u have one and a grind sink to indulge in with little to no benefit if you enjoy hurting yourself

90% of time a vanilla mod is better tbh 

Edited by HAYABU5A