Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

And The Answer Is.... Neverwinter Has Lore!

Zakharon

It's almost like they have about 40 years of franchise history and content to look back on and build off of. One day we'll get there. I think we've added more lore to Warframe in U15 than ever before, and we've been following the Fomorian Threat as it grows... to be continued.

With respect...  It's not so simple as that.  Warframe is vague on several EXTREMELY important points. As a player community, we can only speculate using a few little shreds here and there about fundamental basics like, are we mortal? Do we have tangible bodies?  Are we the warframe, is the warframe a suit of armor, is there a person, or was there ever a person, inside? Are warframes individual, or are they mass produced? Hitting closer to home:  What is the Lotus and why should we care about her? How is she (it? they?) communicating to us? Can Lotus even be externally verified, does she speak the same thing to all Tenno, or are we a society of schizophrenics? We have only her word that her goal is a noble one, which is completely unacceptable from a moral standpoint as we murder millions upon millions of people in her name every single day.

There's lore and then there's basic fundamental explanations.  I am perfectly fine with not knowing the name of the Corpus board of executives, but I am not okay with not knowing whether my character is supposed to be a biological sentient, a robot, a computer program, or an ascended being.  The only theories we have about core issues regarding our very existence are based on microscopic scrutiny of a few choice words that, for all we know, are not meant to be significant to the degree that we want them to be.

Edited by Momaw

Dude has a good point. Warframe needs a story line. I'm fighting with 3 different factions but i really dont know why. Just for getting resource or prime parts. I dont feel a part of that world. 

Oh thank you , a child of warframe has seen the light +1

Edited by Zakharon

With respect...  It's not so simple as that.  Warframe is vague on several EXTREMELY important points. As a player community, we can only speculate using a few little shreds here and there about fundamental basics like, are we mortal? Do we have tangible bodies?  Are we the warframe, is the warframe a suit of armor, is there a person, or was there ever a person, inside? Are warframes individual, or are they mass produced? Hitting closer to home:  What is the Lotus and why should we care about her? How is she (it? they?) communicating to us? We have only her word that her goal is a noble one, which is completely unacceptable from a moral standpoint as we murder millions upon millions of people in her name every single day.

There's lore and then there's basic fundamental explanations.  I am perfectly fine with not knowing the name of the Corpus board of executives, but I am not okay with not knowing whether my character is supposed to be a biological sentient, a robot, a computer program, or an ascended being.  The only theories we have about core issues regarding our very existence are based on microscopic scrutiny of a few choice words that, for all we know, are not meant to be significant to the degree that we want them to be.

Yes that too, I mean how do we know we are doing the right thing, we know little of this war (as far as i can tell) just because someone lets you out of a cage does not make them the good guys.

It would be fun to walk into a library and make it go poof, watch the pages rain down like giant snow flakes.  I can just see a scrap gently floating down and barely ledgible, it says, "The Collected Works of Red Text".  Whoops!

Yes, given time, there should be a warframe world from which to spin off multiple games of all sorts and swag like pink shorts and stuff.

But, regardless of lore, all sorts of game play are possible so there is no reason to hold game play hostage to lore.  The union of lore and game play is simply a matter of packaging.

Edited by ThePresident777

It's almost like they have about 40 years of franchise history and content to look back on and build off of. One day we'll get there. I think we've added more lore to Warframe in U15 than ever before, and we've been following the Fomorian Threat as it grows... to be continued.

So are you confirming elves for U16? Cause...I wouldn't necessarily be mad. 

I'd like to cast an unofficial vote for PC user T4LCOMX as being this game's foremost Lore Guru. I've told him as much in the past, but I'll say it again here; you should seriously talk to this guy if you want to know about this game's lore. He knows every single last miniscule tidbit that's ever been said, and then some. A lot of it is scattered about, but if you want a specific resource, send him a message.

This game's got more to it than it seems. It's all quite interesting, but if I may be a bit blunt in my saying: it's not organized very well or put into accessible context. It IS there, however. -3-

Personally speaking, I find it's more intriguing the way it is currently set about. In the words of animation legend Don Bluth: "It is better to suggest than to define."

May I point out that Neverwinter has a huge lore to build upon, starting from the original dungeons and dragons pen-en-paper games. Also I'm pretty sure they have someone that was dedicated to write storylines while the game was designed. they also have someone that writes books that have a tie-in to the game, so they can deepen the lore even outside the game for people that like it.

So even if DE decides to hire someone or dedicate an available teammember to write lore right now, it would still take time to put that info into content and program it into the game.

It's better to suggest than to define to the audience. However, you still need to define behind the scenes. If you just make vague suggestions and hope to make sense of it later, you're asking for plot holes and erratic character behavior.

Unfortunately, I think DE is taking the "glue it all together later" approach. Fortunately, it's a video game. While good lore is icing on the cake, it's not required for a good gaming experience.

don't you remember? no tenno knows anything of the past anymore thanks to what happened to them all during the cryosleep. so yes, no one should know everything right from the start as all memories of the past are gone yet still out there to find if a tenno looks hard enough. like how the Lotus symbol is not what you think it is, nor the one who goes by the same name. don't forget, tennos are born from bloodshed only to bring more bloodshed in the end.

Hopefully we'll get more lore as to who we are. We don't even know how these Warframe suits work, how does our body fit all those suits? I find it really lame that you don't even know who or what you're playing as. There's leaving cliff hangers and such for the players to figure out, but some rudimentary elements such as your character's physique is something that we really should know about.

Edited by DesuEx

Not sure if warframe will get to 40 ;/

I find it amusing that people expect the same amount of lore in a third person shooter as there is in a RPG. Guess what, folks... This is not a MMORPG. It technically shouldn't even be called a MMO, as 4 players per game can't exactly be called 'massive'.

Does this mean I don't want to see more lore? Nah. It already has more lore than similar types of games, which usually throw you into missions with absolutely no lore at all to back it, but I'd still love to see more.

Warframe does indeed need more lore, but not only in text form.

Anyway, it could be worse, it could be Destiny (holy s**t did they drop the ball there!)

In the defense of Destiny, it does have lore.

The problem is that NONE of it is actually in the game, it's in those fancy grimiore cards...

That can only be viewed on Bungie.net...

Ok so I've been taking a break from Warframe til DE adds rep multipliers among other things, so I decided to pick up Neverwinter (I am a huge Forgotten Realms fan) and is it the best game? No. Is it a bit better than warframe? Yes. Why? LORE LORE LORE AND MORE LORE. Everywhere you turn there is lore scattered in the world. I walk in a library and find lore all over the place. I am in an enemy base, I find journals giving me lore on who I am fighting and why they fight. Lore gives me a sense of a world around me, history to that world, character. Does warframe have lore? Yes and NO. There is very little and it is sketchy at best, I mean DE goes out of their way to make it as vauge as possible, look at the Limbo quest, apparently Drew said they will change some of the lines Ordis says. Wanna know why? Most likely because it gave too much lore in saying there was a singular guy wearing a suit. So please DE give us lore.

Edit: To all those about to give crap to Neverwinter I am only using it as an example replace Neverwinter with WoW(i think) ESO or any other MMO and the point will still stand about lore.

are you talking about the neverwinter mmo?

im sorry but lore doesnt make it a good game lol Its not bad but it isnt good either

With respect...  It's not so simple as that.  Warframe is vague on several EXTREMELY important points. As a player community, we can only speculate using a few little shreds here and there about fundamental basics like, are we mortal? Do we have tangible bodies?  Are we the warframe, is the warframe a suit of armor, is there a person, or was there ever a person, inside? Are warframes individual, or are they mass produced? Hitting closer to home:  What is the Lotus and why should we care about her? How is she (it? they?) communicating to us? Can Lotus even be externally verified, does she speak the same thing to all Tenno, or are we a society of schizophrenics? We have only her word that her goal is a noble one, which is completely unacceptable from a moral standpoint as we murder millions upon millions of people in her name every single day.

+1

The game has been getting more lore I suppose, but not where it matters.  There is so much history and back story that is only hinted at, and at least for me this is where the problem lies.  More lore about the "present day" of the game is fine but we need more lore dealing with the events and people that lead up to the games present day.   As Tenno that were in cryo sleep for a long time we are supposed to have lost much of our memories, but that doesn't mean that the history of the solar system was lost,  there is no reason we couldn't learn more even if its through the codex.

To add to this, a majority of F2Ps I'v played so far don't really have much lore established, however, in warframe, we are told who the grineer and corpus are, why we are fighting them, and how, from their perspective, they are heroes. We have characters that show some sorrt of emotional depth or investment (Ruk and Hek anyone) into their efforts, and we moe importantly we know there is a credible threat from these fomorians which is what the Tenno are probably here to stop.

Few other F2p games bother to do this (establish structured / layered lore), but the thing is, we don't want to be like other F2P games, warframe is meant to be so much more, and pushing for you guys to work on establishing content in the form of additional lore will set you aside from other devs, however, it is understood it takes a long time to do so due to the resources and time it takes to complete quality content.

WoW had lore outside of Fanfic, and random killing? Also WoW, and Neverwinter has been around for a long time(I first started RPing with the Forgotten realms system). WoW... well... to be honest I have never noticed there was even lore in the game at all outside of kill this kill that, mob this, collect stuff, make war, do some more warring, and kill some great evil that might as well be the equal of Vor on Janus. Also only liked the first NWN, and WoW never appealed to me.

Warframe has lore slowly coming out. If DE releases lore too quickly it might bring dissatisfaction, and plot holes that hurt the story. Sure all can be filled, but when your lore is awful it takes a hit. DnD lore didn't just pop up over night. It took years to evolve...

Dude has a good point. Warframe needs a story line. I'm fighting with 3 different factions but i really dont know why. Just for getting resource or prime parts. I dont feel a part of that world. 

Alot of it is explained in events... Gradivus Dilemma, and various speech tells the story.

Grineer empire wants clones to be dominant

Corpus wants greed

Infested are zombies... really? You need a reason to fight zombies that could easily wipe out the population of the solar system if left unchecked?

Then there is corrupted which is just treasure hunting... You need a reason to treasure hunt? Thats like me asking why do I need to craft, loot, or farm at all in WoW. Plus DE has been re-arranging certain stuff there used to be lore pages on the factions, but they were removed to do other things apparently they change the lore on a dime as they go. So in the end even if DE DID give us lore there is a good chance its changing. So I wouldn't rely 100% on the lore even if it did come out right now, or early.

You cannot expect so much lore so quickly. Just wait and be happy we do get lore and we get them in small ambiguous ways, which I personally love. We also add lore as events happen and new frames show. There is enough lore to be happy with and try to solve the blanks that Devs planted and in the future, I would personally say a year and a half from now, there will be a strong backbone lore in Warframe.