Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mind Control Rendered Useless, Removal Of Player Choice

Fruchtpudding

"Enemies targeted by Nyx’s Mind Control no longer take friendly damage until the duration of the ability ends, at which point all accumulated damage to the target is applied at once."

When I read the patchnotes regarding Nyx Mind Control ability I was under the impression that it now prevented teammates from killing mind controlled targets prematurely.

This is not the case. Mind controlled targets do not take damage from any source eliminating one of the major uses of the ability, namely being a low energy single target stun. There are very few enemies actually worth having under your control for an extended duration. Mind control is mostly used to remove a strong enemy from combat with you that has suprised you or is otherwise dangerous to you or your teammates. That enemy then being killed by your or your team is not detrimental in almost every case.

Your teammates killing an enemy that you wished to have under the effect of mind control for an extended duration could get annoying, I agree, but not letting YOU the caster decide if you want to end the ability is a step in the wrong direction.

Streamlining the ability in this way and removing options for me using it is simply a bad design descision.

In short: Give at least the caster the ability to damage the mind controlled target, or make it re-castable, ending the effect on the previous target.

Maybe it will eventually get an augment mod that makes it worth using again. Or maybe it will get nerfed so that as soon as the target is out of your line of sight, the control will end.

the augment mod would be an insult to nyx. Nerfing an ability, then getting an augment mod to get its pre-nerf functions back, its just a waste of mod space, considering we didnt need any augment mod before the nerf

You people complain about everything.

I for one welcome this change.

You forget the damage stacks and then applies once the power runs out. I mean, how damn often are you using Mind control that it's such an issue? Mind control a heavy unit and let it soak up bullets like it was meant to.

Edited by WingedCrusade

In this case I find it is justified. Relatively long term invulnerability for an enemy is problematic for several reasons. Firstly this directly removes player control over the ability Mind Control, as there is no way to end the effect early when it's no longer desirable to hold control over an enemy. Less player control is generally not favorable. Secondly this can cause mind control to negatively affect mission completion. Primarily points where you're required to eliminate all enemies, such as defense waves, interception post wave cleanup, and the most obvious, exterminations. This also restricts the usage of Mind Control as it cannot be re-cast until its previous effect ends. This means it can be unwise to mind control a target that you only want briefly disabled, or if something unexpected happens this can cause problems as it will be impossible to kill your target to be able to recast.

I'm fine with the basic effects of the change but we need a way to end the effect early preferable a manual deactivation by the caster.

Why?

You now have objectively less ways to use the ability. It is less effective in every meaningful way. Mind Control can now be used to hold up your team for a long duration.

If my suggestion would be implemented it would be a positive change, allowing the caster to use one of his abilities to its fullest extent (i.e. gaining an otherwise threatening enemy as a useful ally or removing a dangerous enemy from combat, killing him easily). The way it is now I can only use the ability to remove one enemy from combat and have no way of selecting a better target for the duration.

It simply takes away choice from me.

I can count on one hand the times my allies haven't insta-gibbed the target I mind-control, this actually makes it usable for it's intended purpose now.  Turning an enemy into a damage-soaking allied tank for the duration?  Yes please.  However, If they add in the ability to re-cast, that would be superb as well for those who merely want to use it for a quick stun(even if that's a waste of energy if you aren't incredibly far away - just jump kick them!).

There will always be 'frames that can be used to troll other players. Loki, Vauban, Limbo, Valkyr, just to name a few. Holding up the team was never really the issue. This was the only legitimate buff in the update... I'll take what I can get.

Allies killing Mind Controlled enemies has always been a pain in the behind. I do wish that you could undo the Mind Control though...... making it toggleable would also be cool. Maybe OP though, not sure.