Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Once Awake: Concerned On The Ending

Kaokasalis

WARNING!!!

If you have not yet played the new quest "Once Awake" that was released with this patch and dont wanna be spoiled then leave this thread.

So at the end of the quest the Lotus sends us two messages. One containing our reward and another with a report from Dr. Tengus containing the following Words:

"My Queens,

It is my shame to report that Tenno interference has caused a breach of our Infested testing lab on M-Prime. Acting immediately, I ordered the destruction of the facility which contained the outbreak. Tragically, I believe the Tenno have stolen spores with the intent to use the plague against us.

I will act at once to develop a counter-measure, I will not allow this unethical behaviour by the Tenno to threaten our glorious cause.

For the Queens,

Doctor Tengus"

There are two things that concern me here. First is the fact that our first mission in the questline is a spy mission meaning we might have the knowledge to create infested spores or even worse the Lotus might now know how. Second thing is that during the first mission when we are stealing the data cases someone released the Infested from their cages but we never find out who. Mabye it was the Lotus or mabye it was a third party who also stole Infested spores wtih the intent on wreaking havoc on the Greinner with it?

As of now i wonder if theres a darker side to the Lotus or if there was a unseen third party behind this.

What do you think my fellow Tenno?

I'm doin of lot of copy paste tonight:

Most interesting, though, was that ending: the spore "the Tenno took to unleash against us." I don't think Tengus was just talking out of his @$$: I think spores WERE stolen, and he's just shifting the blame. But the question is now: who stole them? Was it Tengus himself? That seems the most plausible, he swiped the spores to continue his research in secret, fearing that the breaches that happened under his watch would get his project shut down but not wanting to relent it, and, from there, everything spirals out of his control to unleash the Infestation upon the system - maybe even PURPOSEFULLY!

Is that what the Infestation missions are? A mad scientists testing out his biological weapon on even his own people? Maybe, maybe not.

But the second thought I had was maybe Tengus really DOESN'T know what happened, and so is shifting the blame to the Tenno. Maybe this is an early buildup to Alad V's descent into Infestation Research - early trials with it, before moving into Zanuka Program proper, that peaked his later blossomed interest in the field. It's unlikely to have been any other Corpus, Alad stated that most others don't like to work with genetics during our ship runs again him during that pre-New Eris event.

It's all so intriguing. So very fascinating.

I think it's as simple as Tengus covering up his failures.  The Tenno attack distracted the guards and the Infested used that opportunity to escape.  The Lotus did imply in the last mission that the Infested have some intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lotus knew more than she was letting on.  But I can't think of a logical reason why she would benefit from aiding the Infestation.

...Or Tengus needed a scapegoat for his screw-up.

I think it's as simple as Tengus covering up his failures.  The Tenno attack distracted the guards and the Infested used that opportunity to escape.  The Lotus did imply in the last mission that the Infested have some intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lotus knew more than she was letting on.  But I can't think of a logical reason why she would benefit from aiding the Infestation.

I HIGHLY doubt the Lotus aided them. She was deeply disturbed by seeing them, I don't think she'd have a hand in helping them with anything.

But to Sitchera: well, that goes without saying. But we know the Infested are still in large in the system, and that sort of leans the idea to it being in part due to how he talks about the aftermath of the event:

If he just needed a scapegoat for the ruination and destruction of his facility, he could have just said "Tenno did it" but he went further - he specified some samples were lost, and claims them to be stolen. If they weren't really stolen, why bring that up at all? He's playing at something.

Consider the way Lotust so suprise about the Infested in the dialog and the fact that it's seem like no one can control the infested plague (well can't start a plague is more like it) yet i think that the time this quest happen days back to before the "Breeding Ground" event take place (the event where Alad V use Infested in Frohd Bek's ship and we go kill the Hives). I pretty sure that the third party is Alad V. 

Edited by FireSegment

this

If he just needed a scapegoat for the ruination and destruction of his facility, he could have just said "Tenno did it" but he went further - he specified some samples were lost, and claims them to be stolen. If they weren't really stolen, why bring that up at all? He's playing at something.

To make the idea that the Tenno stole them and are using them as a weapon against the Grineer that much more easy to believe, would be my first assumption.

To make the idea that the Tenno stole them and are using them as a weapon against the Grineer that much more easy to believe, would be my first assumption.

But why? The Queens already fear the Tenno:

There's no reason to try and make them afraid of the Tenno if they already ARE afraid of the Tenno, there's no need to work in a failed Infestation project into it - UNLESS Tengus is working some angle. Maybe he didn't take the spores, maybe he DID just make that up, but him telling the Queens "the Tenno may do this" is without doubt in my mind him working SOME angle to get something.

Maybe it's cover for secret research on the Infested, maybe it's just regular continuation of his Infested research, maybe it's funding for other project, but he's after something with these cards he's playing.