Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Buffing Thread All Ideas Welcome

tris1

Hello everyone first time I've started a topic so bare with me.

De first implemented a stealth NERF to Excalibur which did upset the community As well as me however

DE fstated that they would buff Excalibur I was happy to hear about this however what the didn't say was they wouldn't been buffing all the powers then NERF all his skills to the ground

Slash dash: why wasn't this touched, in the polls you held it was very obvious slash dash needed a rework. It's a old skill compared to updated skills such as the knockdown on rhino charge or the pulling on tidal surge.

Super jump; I'm sorry but this was no way a buff. The invisibility does not suit Excalibur in any way. The stun is so small. This skill is so situational it can't be used in low celings and once you land your back into the fight not to mention you can't use it as a directional mobility. I have heard people say it's a gd escape skill. Ok we'll considering it is situational and now even outdated to zephyrs first and second skill it loses it's place in the game. Air melee we'll this just ticked me off its bloody gd for mobility it's directional and can go so high with out the cost of energy. Hm super jump needs a buff

Here comes the fun

Radial blind: De first did a tricky stealth NERF but the community as normal finds out and I agree to having ago at De for the implement. The problem I had was no one had been told radial blind was getting looked as well as the fact that. When it first came it was terrible then I thought since the said they were going to fix it to be better I waited but then it came the rubbish Los. This cc ability is not the best and even lacks damage. You could still be attacked by ebonies such as moa's

slash dash its a good mobility skill however it has fallen behind in skills as you can look at rhino,hyrdoid and they both have a secondary effect such as knockdown. Excalibur does not have this and also has the problem of it not scaling very well.

slash dash: needs to get its damage from the melee being carried and the proc chance from the melee as well.

super jump: this is problem skill some people like and others don't. its another mobility skill which isn't needed since we got slash dash as well as the air strikes which can do basically the same and go in directions not just up while it does have invisibility this does not suit Excalibur as well as the very small radius of the stun it provides, then this also is very situational since you need to be in opened spaces. to be honest this skill has hardly any potential of being used that much and should be buffed or changed.

super jump: provides a stun at the start of the lift and knockdown once he lands which can be increased by duration and range

alternative: is either rockwolf: charge or something such as this

Phase 1 - SPINNING BLADES

* Acts slightly differently upon activation now - When activated, Excalibur summons 6/8/10/12 spinning blades of energy that will follow him for 7/8/9/10 seconds whirling around him, dealing 100/150/200/250 Slash damage a second to every enemy around him (Note: This DPS is independant of the number of blades he has spinning around him). The range of this particular effect is just a couple of meters around him (the radius is equal to about the length of the actual blades)

* In addition, while the blades are whirling around you, Excalibur could have some form of minor protection against ranged projectiles. Something simple, like 15/20/25/30% less damage taken from enemy projectiles or so.

* If you block while the blades are spinning around you, the blades stop spinning for as long as you are blocking and will greatly help you with blocking, instead of damaging nearby enemies! These are the blocking bonuses:

1) It gives you 360 degree blocking!

2) guarantees that the target is counter stunned, allowing you to do the counter finisher if you want to

3) All enemy projectiles are reflected back, dealing 25/50/75/100% of the damage back at the attacker only while blocking.

4)the blocking is done by stamina

want to see something like this so I can get straight in there with my melee and not worry about all those that are using there guns just a like a rhino can get in melee range and come out with nothing wrong with his shields and health

btw not my idea azamagons idea

radial javelin: well it has gotten better since it now hits enemies and unlimited enemies with a stun however the stun is so short that even the animation is longer than the stun as well as the damage now not scaling very well. the damage needs to become finisher damage while also having the stun increased by duration mods. damage possible increased depends on the finisher damage?. radial blind should effect the damage. possibly a cool down like rhino

radial blind: well to me this ahs become very situational now considering it doesn't blind all targets, ok im fine with the ability not blinding through doors that are closed however Im starting to blind about 3 times just to revive a team mate or because there is a tiny block of column or wall that blocks the enemies site. I also have the problem with the fact that I can see enemies either just underneath or above and they don't get blinded. enemies that are even bunched to together seem to have odd times when they are not blinded this ability should be reverted back or give it a fixed radius of what It can blind like 10-15m that blinds not mater what's in the way. Then any range mods then are effected by walls and such

Edited by tris1

Rage. Rawr!!! After all these warframe nerfs Im putting this game down for a while... I just can't handle the stress, and DE doesnt care.

***Edit***

Happy to say that DE does care again. So happy again... for now. :P

Edited by StarScribe

The whole Excalibur changes were haphazard at best. They did not fix the problem, just changed it. Despite that the community did not like it (see votes), was outrages (see first RB change).

You can ignore the communities opinion, but do not be surprised when you have no paying customers left.

Oh, and do not come with the "great" community service! The voting which you ignore regularly, the Design Counciln which we can vote on the next skin, how exciting!

Not only is the Syndicate part badly implemented, and the archwing full of bugs, now this. I have no more understanding and patience...

IMO the interception changes coupled with a bigger map would have been enough. The Nerfs (minus Limbo) was uncalled for. Excal is my main but my second frame saryn will be used more till excal is fixed and I mean truly fixed. as a lot of people said, apply LOS to everything that it would make sense to apply it too or just don't implement it at all. And for the love of Darvo DE stop throwing the lobster under the bus.

These knee jerk fixes only end up kicking the players in the crotch.

Edited by nickelshark

IMO the interception changes coupled with a bigger map would have been enough. The Nerfs (minus Limbo) was uncalled for. Excal is my main but my second frame saryn will be used more till excal is fixed and I mean truly fixed. as a lot of people said, apply LOS to everything that it would make sense to apply it too or just don't implement it at all. And for the love of Darvo DE stop throwing the lobster under the bus.

These knee jerk fixes only end up kicking the players in the crotch.

This is indeed showing us that the balance is fragile and abilities needs to be more closely looked at in their own contexts.  I'm pushing for a total ability rework on all frames and rebalancing of missions in of themselves as well.

This is indeed showing us that the balance is fragile and abilities needs to be more closely looked at in their own contexts.  I'm pushing for a total ability rework on all frames and rebalancing of missions in of themselves as well.

As if there was any "total ability" rework in the past.

Sad to have Excel render useless(for now) I used to like it in before. But much cruelty has happened and Excel is no more my main frame. For some odd reason Volt is, oh well.

I am not angry, cus I do not even use Excel anymore, but I do feel bad for the Tennos who used Excel.

Sad to have Excel render useless(for now) I used to like it in before. But much cruelty has happened and Excel is no more my main frame. For some odd reason Volt is, oh well.

I am not angry, cus I do not even use Excel anymore, but I do feel bad for the Tennos who used Excel.

it's not odd that Volt is your new go-to he's one of the most well balanced and well scaling frames in the game with an amazing spamable 1 that deals light damage and great CC, a stellar utility in speed, defensive and offensive faculty in his shields, and then there's... yeah, a pretty situational nuke.

it's not odd that Volt is your new go-to he's one of the most well balanced and well scaling frames in the game with an amazing spamable 1 that deals light damage and great CC, a stellar utility in speed, defensive and offensive faculty in his shields, and then there's... yeah, a pretty situational nuke.

And people tell the Excalibur nerf is because of balance. Hell, yeah!

I just feel bad for all the people that put all that effort into making Excalibur, a truly useable frame, with either the look or the cost of forma / potato or aesthetics, I have a few friend rage quit after this last nurf, reason being was there tired of working on a frame, only to have all the work they did made useless by a nurf... Look it’s Plane and simple, DE is going to lose customers over this LoS neutering. They need to rethink the last hotfix, or I’m going to wakeup one day alone in a game with under 1k users, it will be "A.P.B." all over again.

Just 2 questions: are you sure, that you are completly silent after RB cast? Sentinel?

isn´t Furious Javelin better for RB build, where the damage of RJ is not to high, that means more enemies left   

for melee attack?

Edit: RJ never has Pounch Through, isn´t a kind of LoS?

Edited by (PS4)Onder6099

Soo... Radial Javalin is useless again... let's go back to radial blind build!! oh... wait...

Seriously... which warframe want me to use? Rhino? like the mayority of the players? I want to play as excal! is my fav frame! but i can't do that if they make him a good for nothing guy!!

DE! GO F@CK YOUR SELF!!! I'M OUT OF THIS GAME!!!

Ok so the radial javelin has been reverted that's gd. However what about the dodgy mechanic you got on radial blind called Los that still needs to go and Excalibur still needs a buff.

Updated the thread to be about buffing

I'll quote my OP from my thread which is still active.  I wrote this before they announced reverting Radial Javelin.

Excal, my favorite frame.  You've been through some rough patches ol' buddy (pun intended), but I still love ya.  So let's talk about the practical implications of LoS on the swordsman frame - how it changes the flow of the game for you, how to compensate, and areas where improvement is needed.

For starters, I use Excalibur as a melee frame.  I find he is the best suited of any frame to quickly conquer terrain and close distance for melee attacks, and his abilities support this playstyle very well.  Slash Dash is a great instant mobility option, for when you don't have time to use any other option to quickly get from point A to B, but it's a lackluster ability otherwise (more on this later).  Radial blind is the bread and butter of the melee fighting Excal.  It allows you to disable incoming fire AND massively boost your melee damage, but now it's LoS limited... I'll break this down in a bit.  Super Jump is insanely useful as a mobility tool, and is usually my opening move in any combat scenario when I don't have a roof inches above my head.  It allows a quick bird's eye look at the battlefield, gets you into or out of trouble quickly, and is a great way to set up a radial blind.  Radial Javelin.... well, this one needs a paragraph.

Playing like this is viable for all standard content, I've soloed every mission and boss with Excal, and he's still quite effective in endless modes if you are willing to put a TON of effort into the game.  And therein lies the rub, and why these recent changes have made Excal useless to so many players.  Excal requires you walk the bleeding edge in frenetic combat literally the entire time enemies are near you, you don't get breaks, and you can't make mistakes.  The LoS changes have made it such that he's even MORE unforgiving now, because you have no button to slow combat down now.  Sure, you still have those buttons, but they aren't the pressure relief valves they used to be, and only give you the advantage in wide open spaces.  You can play Excal as hard and as expertly as possible, but those limitations are what keeps him out of the top tier of frames.  Assuming an equal level of skill using different frames, a frame like Nova is always going to give a player a much greater power level than Excal simply due to the nature of how the powers now operate.

So, how do you compensate?  Playing smart is the best remedy.  Excal is not a cudgel, he's a scalpel.  Using his mobility to quickly fade into and out of enemy groups, popping radial blind as you go, is the best attack strategy.  This also synergizes very well with most teams, as you leave the enemies in a position where they're blind and firing at you, while your team can easily move in and wipe them out.  Using a weapon like the Castanas is also very useful while you approach, and allows you to disable a large chunk of enemy fire while you close into a good position to use your blind.  Blocking with your melee weapon is your best defensive option, and it's best to always have your guard up when the enemies aren't blinded or stunned.  LoS forces you to be right in the thick of it to make the most of your abilities, so your best strategy is to use super jump to position yourself in a high spot (or mid air) to tag as many enemies as possible before actually going on the offensive.  It's a much more metered playstyle than it once was, and you have to be on the ball to not walk into bad tactical situations.  If tons of enemies are approaching you through cover, and you have no means to get above them (low ceiling) then you HAVE to run.  If you get surrounded by enemies that have cover, you are dead... and there's very little you're going to do to change that.

This where the recent nerf to radial javelin really really hurts, because that is the exact situation where you need that skill to NOT be bound to LoS.  Pre-nerf, this skill allowed you to survive that situation by stunning everything around you long enough for you to get the hell out, or assault one of the positions without taking fire. A long enough pause to get your shields back up, at least.  Radial Javelin still has its uses, but because both it and blind are now LoS, blind is almost ALWAYS the better option.  Blind + melee channeling = fast efficient murderings (for 50 energy and some change).  Radial Javelin rarely kills anything above level 30, and leaves you rooted in place and vulnerable, and costs 100 energy.  You can cast it, have a couple enemies pop out of cover while you are still casting it and murder you.  That is... incredibly frustrating, to say the least. 

So, how would I improve Excal to actually get him back into the top tier?  Mild revamps to his abilities would be all that is required to give him a very diverse and useful skillset, he's already so close to it.

Slash Dash:  Is a great ability... for mobility.  It really really needs to scale off of weapon damage, because there is currently absolutely no reason to use Slash Dash to damage something over just walking up to the enemy and using melee channel, or hell just regularly swinging for a bunch of weapons.  Or, perhaps, another option would be for slash dash to apply your melee weapon's elemental procs at a near 100% or 100% rate.  This would give the players a lot of options on how to use the skill tactically.  Another minor tweak I would love for this skill is the ability to aim it up and down 20-30° or so off horizontal, to give it better mobility, and so it can be used as a dive kick from super jump.  Also, a very small change that would really help out the skills useability in general is allowing the player to maintain his pre-cast momentum after the slash dash duration is over... so ya know, you can continue to dash instead of stopping.  And PLEASE make this thing instant cast, falling 5m while trying to cast this thing in the air is AWFUL.

Radial Blind:  Is actually perfect where it is.  It's the fairly cheap CC that it needs to be, has a tactical niche... and supposing Radial Javelin isn't bound by LoS, has a distinct use apart from javelin.

Super Jump:  Already very useful where it currently sits, but a nice improvement would be better air control while you're using it.  Adding a knockdown shockwave when you land would be fantastic as well.  Doesn't have to be an enormous radius... 3-4m would be fine, and make that an unmodifiable range.  It's a super cheap power, so it can't be made amazing, but giving it some reasons to be used offensively would be a great way to encourage Excal players to play him properly as a swordsman.

Radial Javelin:  Right, the big one.  So my big suggestion for this is actually really simple.  I understand you don't want players demolishing enemies 50 yards away through walls.  I don't want that either.  However, what we have currently is entirely underwhelming, and offers basically nothing tactically that you can't do for less energy and casting time with Radial Blind.  So, how I would propose changing this is simply add a non-LoS stun to the ability, same duration as the current one, so it preserves its use as an 'oh s&*%' button for close in space with lots of cover.  You could change the animation to reflect this.  Have an M.Prime-like nova blast out at high speed when the ability is cast that hits everything in range and stuns, and have javelins go zooming out at anything you have LoS on.  This gives it some of it's old flavor back, and allows for big damage on large groups getting tagged by multiple javelins flying to their targets.  I think this is a nice happy medium for everyone.
EDIT: I should also add that this also preserves the power of his syndicate mod.

I realize I've typed A LOT here...  sorry for the wall of text.  Please let me know what you think.

FYI Edit:  This is my build http://goo.gl/cMxze9 - Combine with a melee weapon with life strike and all the above will work, for those of you who are using this as a guide.  Vigor is replaceable with Stretch if you prefer the extra range to survivability.

Edited by JokerVictor