Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gyrojet Rifle

MisterE

Just a quick idea, in the 1970's they developed a gun that fired unguided but highly accurate miniature rockets, basically useless close range as they got to maximum velocity after 50 ft, not great for jungle warfare, and it had very little recoil.  Can the warframe universe support an advanced sniper rifle like that?

main problem with gyrojet rifles from my understanding is that their terrible at short range. basically the propellent charge was enough to get it out of the barrel at which point the jet would start and then it would be lethal at about 20-30 yards. sure i love the idea but might as well just give us bolters from 40k same concept.

main problem with gyrojet rifles from my understanding is that their terrible at short range. basically the propellent charge was enough to get it out of the barrel at which point the jet would start and then it would be lethal at about 20-30 yards. sure i love the idea but might as well just give us bolters from 40k same concept.

Bolters would indeed fit fighting the infested. 

And, while we're on topic - what this game needs are multimelta weapons!

I've actually heard of and seen videos of the actual weapon the OP is talking about, they saw that bullets lose momentum  and drops after so much distance  and didn't have the same punch as if it was fired point blank, so they designed an ammunition and weapon that the farther the projectile traveled the the more powerful the punch. granted it had it's problems, like the fact it jammed a lot.

I would love to see a weapon like that, it'd be great for long range combat.

And here I thought somebody would mention that there are weapons that fire gyrojets in BL2 (even shotguns), which are all made by Torgue.

Needless to say that those cause loads of small explosions.

I loved Torgue weapons in BL2, so I like the idea.

I've actually heard of and seen videos of the actual weapon the OP is talking about, they saw that bullets lose momentum  and drops after so much distance  and didn't have the same punch as if it was fired point blank, so they designed an ammunition and weapon that the farther the projectile traveled the the more powerful the punch. granted it had it's problems, like the fact it jammed a lot.

I would love to see a weapon like that, it'd be great for long range combat.

I like the way you think. So it would be like a boltor, but with projectiles that deal more damage with range and (probably) alert any enemy they come near? Think that they could have nice explosion effects after puncture? Maybe bolter-like explosion from the inside upon crit (like in that vid) with MASSIVE crit damage?

Edited by GTG3000

I like the way you think. So it would be like a boltor, but with projectiles that deal more damage with range and (probably) alert any enemy they come near? Think that they could have nice explosion effects after puncture? Maybe bolter-like explosion from the inside upon crit (like in that vid) with MASSIVE crit damage?

they're more or less mini rockets, so yeah, having them with a delayed explosion would be fun. :D

they're more or less mini rockets, so yeah, having them with a delayed explosion would be fun. :D

Explode all the things! As a side-thought, the damage could be scaled from fire (from explosion) to piercing as the bolt travels, since, well, the fuel burns out and it gains speed?

Gyrojet weapons in the warframe universe would be pointless, considering the level of technology available, they could easily achieve much better results with a coil gun or rail gun. 

If however, you are requesting a high velocity high calibre auto cannon, like say, a 40k boltgun, then yeah, I wouldn't mind using one of those, might be a bit over the top though, also probably too heavy considering all the ninja flipping the Tenno do. 

Gyrojet weapons in the warframe universe would be pointless, considering the level of technology available, they could easily achieve much better results with a coil gun or rail gun. 

If however, you are requesting a high velocity high calibre auto cannon, like say, a 40k boltgun, then yeah, I wouldn't mind using one of those, might be a bit over the top though, also probably too heavy considering all the ninja flipping the Tenno do. 

Well they appear to use cartridge based small arms anyway, so why wouldn't they use gyrojet? Besides, tiny rockets are straight up cool.

but tenno are humans, they couldn't use a bolter, it would be way too heavy :p

They are ridiculously super human.

That cuts both ways. The Gyrojet could have Electrothermal-chemical propulsion or something beyond our current theories for propellants. The Gyrojet design also neatly sidesteps the recoil problem. A Railgun with the same power as a Gyrojet will have massively more recoil. Equal and opposite reaction, right?

Well they appear to use cartridge based small arms anyway, so why wouldn't they use gyrojet? Besides, tiny rockets are straight up cool.

Because Gyrojets have low initial velocity, making them worthless in the majority of combat the Tenno engage in, close range ship board combat. 

That cuts both ways. The Gyrojet could have Electrothermal-chemical propulsion or something beyond our current theories for propellants. The Gyrojet design also neatly sidesteps the recoil problem. A Railgun with the same power as a Gyrojet will have massively more recoil. Equal and opposite reaction, right?

A rail gun doesn't have the same power as a gyrojet, it has signifficantly more power than a gryo jet, yes it would have recoil, but the main reason the gyro jet was developed wasn't because it had little recoil, it's because it had faster velocities at long range when compared to regular bullets, thus making it more lethal over distance. Railgun\coil gun trumps that, hands down. Assuming that the level of technological development for both weapons had been the same the rail gun would still be the more powerful weapon. 

They are ridiculously super human.

If I remember the physics of railguns correctly they have less recoil than a conventional firearm with the same muzzle energy because much of the force pushes outwards against the rails, and the recoil is more evenly spread out. 

If I remember the physics of railguns correctly they have less recoil than a conventional firearm with the same muzzle energy because much of the force pushes outwards against the rails, and the recoil is more evenly spread out. 

Physics 101 - action and reaction. Reilgun can have less recoil, if it's projectiles are smaller than usual bullets, but it's working principle suggests that the gun will be pushed straight back with plenty of power.

Subsequently, railgun and gyrojet rifle occupy different niches, one having little stopping power (small projectile at high speed means insane piercing abilities, which aren't always good against tech and such, you could argue though that they are supersonic and therefore turn any organy they hit into a pink bloody much with the pressure wave) and another having long-range cc, with less recoil than other guns (the rockets would certainly have plenty of mass to stop someone, or even knock someone on their back. Subsequently, explosions). 

It all is in the way devs do it, anyway, and gyrojet would be about as sweet to have as the railgun itself.

but tenno are humans, they couldn't use a bolter, it would be way too heavy :p

There's always boltpistols, not to mention that IG can use bolters as rifles (should they need a fullauto grenadethrower, that is). The stormbolters, of cource, require a stationary position. Albeit bolters require supply lines, unlike lazguns, so they don't get to be the weapon of choice.

Because Gyrojets have low initial velocity, making them worthless in the majority of combat the Tenno engage in, close range ship board combat. 

A rail gun doesn't have the same power as a gyrojet, it has signifficantly more power than a gryo jet, yes it would have recoil, but the main reason the gyro jet was developed wasn't because it had little recoil, it's because it had faster velocities at long range when compared to regular bullets, thus making it more lethal over distance. Railgun\coil gun trumps that, hands down. Assuming that the level of technological development for both weapons had been the same the rail gun would still be the more powerful weapon. 

Like I said, it would be a long range niche weapon. There is room for both types of weapon.

It's all a question of energy density. If it's the same for both the Gyrojet's theoretical propulsion and the Railgun's capacitor the Gyrojet will have the same power at max range with less recoil.

For the record I don't think the Gyrojet should do the same damage as a Railgun. In my Moar Dakka thread I said the Railgun should be the most damage per shot in the game, with the Gyrojets being long range moderate DPS automatics.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/33938-moar-dakka/ (shameless self promotion)

Some erroneous work has suggested that the recoil force in railguns can be redirected or eliminated; careful theoretical and experimental analysis reveals that the recoil force acts on the breach closure just as in a chemical firearm. The rails also repel themselves via a sideways force caused by the rails being pushed by the magnetic field, just as the projectile is. The rails need to survive this without bending and must be very securely mounted. Ultimately the recoil is going to be the same as a chemical weapon with the same muzzle velocity. (Quoted from Wikipedia, I checked the references though)

A gyrojet on the other hand, has only slightly more recoil than a paintball gun.

P.S. how do you change font colour?

Edited by ValhaHazred

That is what your pistols and super-swords are for. This gun would add some depth to the game along with the new glaive weapon