Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Building Warframe: The Ice Planet

DE_Adam

JsNz692.jpg

When it comes to capturing genuine weather effects and environment details every Tileset we do has its own unique tricks.  During Update Archwing we took a look at the stars, but it wasn't that long ago that our Excavation game mode brought Tenno to the frozen landscape of Europa.  

With Europa now hosting a wide variety of icy missions on all platforms we thought it would be nice to give a little bit of insight into how we got everything looking so genuinely frozen; and of course give a bit of credit to a few talented team members that were a part of the process.  Take a look at our latest behind-the-scenes look on Warframe's Ice Planet, and enjoy the chilling imagery!

Stay warm, Tenno.

-DE_Adam

I would love to help you in making these, but only things I can do is post bugs and create concepts, neither of which have a high chance of making any impact on the game. Bugs get fixed over time, but mostly they just get ignored due to other factors, understandable yet annoying.

I have to compliment you guys on Europa--it's a fantastic level with a feel all to itself.  I definitely have to vote Eris levels as my favorite to play, though--rushing through a twisting, turning ship in lowered gravity, through areas depleted of oxygen while being chased by the Infested, all accompanied by those skittering high-pitched strings playing in the background...it's an intense experience.

Amazing insight, this is why I like every single article like this one.

(...)

Can't wait!(I also wanna swim asap)

I have the feeling we will actualy swim with Archwings ... Archturbines through the water. Sounds both very effective, reasonable and would reduce the amount of extra animation.

I have the feeling we will actualy swim with Archwings ... Archturbines through the water. Sounds both very effective, reasonable and would reduce the amount of extra animation.

Problem : what if we have swim/ground gameplay mixed?... I saw it that way. :/

You know,with ground maps and "swimming pools" in the tileset, or getting inside an underwater base with Archwings,then leaving with crawl moves)

120px-Mario_Swimming_Artwork_%28alt%29_-

You know what? The best we could wish for right now would be to see actual swimming footage, to put an end to our questions! D.E. ?

Edited by unknow99

very good job on iceplanet, i sometimes caught myself running to the sun because i have this "cold" feeling under my legs and sometimes i stumble beside the flowing rivers because i dont wanna go into, it happens mostly in the beginning of a mission that i find myself avoiding to get wet feets XD

means, great realism, cant wait to get more new areas ,-)

Looks great. However movement on the ice tileset is really rough. The terrain is too detailed for the animation to handle and we frequently get stuck which leads to frustration. There are a lot of surfaces that the Tenno simply do not react to. There are spots you can stand on but not jump on. There are objects you can climb on all day like a monkey. Yet, some surfaces you cannot climb. It's not fluid.

Incidentally, there are underground rivers in snow white frozen caverns. What liquid is that? What is covering the ground? What is the atmosphere? I'm just curious, not complaining. I know some planets have ocean of chemicals, such as methane, that would be in a different on Earth due to gravity and atmosphere and climate. But, I'm not an expert on such things. Hmm, I guess I could google Europa.

Edited by ThePresident777

Incidentally, there are underground rivers in snow white frozen caverns. What liquid is that? What is covering the ground? What is the atmosphere? I'm just curious, not complaining. I know some planets have ocean of chemicals, such as methane, that would be in a different on Earth due to gravity and atmosphere and climate. But, I'm not an expert on such things. Hmm, I guess I could google Europa.

I believe it's actually just water. It's supposedly very salty though. 

You know, this is a really beautiful tile set and I love it, it has gorgeous effects, setting and lighting. The only complaint is that why are we stuck exploring caves 4/5th of the time? The outdoor 'rooms' is where this tile set truly shines, I just wish I wasn't stuck exploring the same cave tunnels again and again.