Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[De] First Person Mode. Support This Thread.

IfritKajiTora

This is simply your opinion. I can offer mine right now and it'll be as valued as yours.

And if it isn't useful, or better, or easier then how can it be fun?

Is the exact opposite of those fun?

IT. WOULDN'T. BE. FUN.

And that is your opinion.  Also, if something that is completely pointless can't be fun as you say, then Warframe in general wouldn't be fun, nor would any other video-game.  I think it would be fun, you don't, My fun should be prevented just because you would not like it, especially since you don't have to use it.

If you want this kind of fun go play garry's mod....

How is Garry's Mod similar in any way to warframe in first person?  Garry's mod does not have powers nor does it have any interesting melee weapons, there are really no similarities other than the fact that they are both video-games with guns.

Just make it like Lost Planet's first person mode.

As for coptering (and other "problems"), make the camera "fall behind" the player for the duration of the animation, before returning to first person (think Halo 4's thruster pack ability).

Also, what is it about parkour in first person that people think would be so confusing? Mirror's edge did it fine, Titanfall refined it.

Here's my main point, it's not that I don't want the mode, if Warframe were simply made with a first person option back when I started playing in closed beta I'd have used that almost exclusively. I like first person mode, it's my preference in games like Skyrim and GTA5. However, it wasn't and I feel that DE devoting a large portion of their efforts to a first person camera at this time is utterly pointless and I'd much prefer to see them set their sights on legitimate endgame content/new weapons/revamping stances/improving parkour/general balance/a new faction of enemies/et cetera MUCH more than I want to be able to copter in first person and puke on my keyboard.

This is one of those situations where I can't help but think we're too far gone to go back and revamp everything we've got so far to work with a first person that would likely be incredibly janky if it worked at all. If this were back when there were only 30 or so weapons I'd say "go for it". At this point, they'd have to hire half a team of people solely dedicated to work on remodeling everything for first person view if we didn't want to see a drop in DE's devotion to pushing new and better content.

To put it bluntly, I'd have bittersweet feelings about it if DE were to announce during a devstream that they are making a first person option. We'd be hearing about it for months, getting overly hyped, and when it finally came out, people would do nothing but complain about the hive of glitches that came with it. Sorry if I'm being pessimistic, I'm attempting to look at this as objectively as I possibly can.

The cons simply outweigh the pros for me. There's only one pro, "cool new perspective", followed by a myriad of cons.

Legitimate end game seems to be on a low priority for them

Its likely well just get new content to rush and wait for more

There isnt much reason to not add it and adjust slightly over hotfixes

Putting aside the "should it be done" for the much more relevant "can it be done".

First person view is theoretically feasible.

1. The camera viewpoint would have to be moved to the approximate location of the players head, perhaps bound to the "face" accessory node that is currently being used for the Movember mustaches.  Because player movement is independent from camera direction acrobatics should not be (in theory) terribly disorienting.

2. The players body would need a transparent (to the player client) texture applied to all but the arms to prevent head clipping and so that looking down would not result in looking though a Warframe's chest also body decorations would need to be hidden.

This of course is only theoretical and adding first person may in fact be much more complex than it sounds.

Addressing the issue of DE resource delegation, even if DE decided to add first person I highly doubt that it would be to the exclusion of other more "popular" improvements.

Edited by windywisp

imagine the camera rotates as you do the slide attack..

That same as Skyrim. There is an attack that makes character turn around 360* and slash. In first person mode camera don't move.

In Warframe third person mode, when frame is turning around camera don't move, so in first person mode it won't too. To move camera it need to be programed to do things like that.

As long as these threads show up, I will constantly repeat the same thing.

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

It will never work effectively in warframe.

Camera issues arise from going into FPS, they have to rescale weapon models as well as other things in the environment, they also need to make sure the movement feels fluid and not confusing and sickening as all hell.

Even Karp said that it would take far too much work for this to work.

So no matter how much you want it, it wont come. 

I beg to differ with your reasoning considering the Immersive 1st Person mods for Fallout 3/ New Vegas and Skyrim never needed to rescale anything at all, and they don't suffer from visual artifacts either. Whatever you see in third person is what you see in first person.

its funny how people want to deny an option, is a simple option, you dont need to take it if you dont like it

grinners

Obviously it wouldn't be a problem if DE could just add a FPS mode with a few lines of code. The reason that we (and the devs, multiple times) are saying no is that this is not the case.

Warframe was designed to be played exclusively in third person; giving it a proper FPS mode (disorientation aside) would require a HUGE amount of work and resources, and in the end, the majority of the playerbase wouldn't even be using the option. It's a waste of effort to pool money and time into something that only a minority will enjoy, when it can instead be pooled into adding and tweaking content that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Edited by SortaRandom

the Immersive 1st Person mods for Fallout 3/ New Vegas and Skyrim never needed to rescale anything at all, and they don't suffer from visual artifacts either. Whatever you see in third person is what you see in first person.

Come again?

2TGCAjs.jpg

By the way, the gaping hole at the bottom right is my character's neck. The horse that I'm sitting on is facing away from the camera.

This is with the Enhanced Camera mod (which functions identically to Immersive 1st Person on horseback).

Edited by SortaRandom

Simply NO. Why?

*Weird parkour.

*Not really "cool" for games such Warframe.

*Aiming would be worse than everything.

*While sprinting/coptering/jumping it would just blind me out.

*Not being able to see myself (the frame i mean)? Don't say to add a mirror cuz that would be really stupid.

Warframe is good with its Third-person view, no need for First-person.

Edited by Just4Games

Simply NO. Why?

*Weird parkour.

*Not being able to see myself (the frame i mean)? Don't say to add a mirror cuz that would be really stupid.

So basically you have ZERO decent reasons against the idea. Good to know.

How about an option for players to adjust their camera positions the way they like it? Going to start listing reasons for that too?

So basically you have ZERO decent reasons against the idea. Good to know.

How about an option for players to adjust their camera positions the way they like it? Going to start listing reasons for that too?

Read below. Those are my opinions against this idea. Not good, simply, take it and live with it, First-person lover.

Not everything can be solved with "just make it optional".

Im not against it....But I like TPS more. + DE already have tons of stuff to fix/rebalance/reAnimate/rework. Not to mention there is "swimming" coming soon...And after that I hope there will FINALLY be Stealth and Movement updates (see Aure7 animation thread)

My answer is NOT NOW. Come back after U18. When Warframe is "adult"

Simply NO. Why?

*Weird parkour.

''Not really cool for games such Warframe'' is your hypothesis but where is the evidence to your statement?

''Aiming would be worse than everything'' it would be the same just from another view. All you are saying with that sentence is that you have no skill in warframe.

''Weird parkour'' and ''While sprinting/coptering/jumping it would just blind me out'' is the same statement and if you would be a bit more experienced you would know which buttons you have to press in which order to copter/air dash easily.

''Not being able to see myself (the frame i mean)?'' that is the reason why he said that the first person view can be set as an option so that people who dont like this suggestion can keep playing in their third person shooter view.

In my personal opinion I like that suggestion and would be more than happy to see this feature implemented ingame as an manual setable option.

Edited by Tyreuzs

Read below. Those are my opinions against this idea. Not good, simply, take it and live with it, First-person lover.

What? I don't want "First Person View". I want a "better view" then sitting off center with a Frame blocking 20% of my view and having to press H in order to tell if I'm exposed to fire because my current aiming reticule is looking directly at a wall, while my frame is elsewhere.

Id be perfectly happy with my camera sitting where my face is and my Frame being totally transparent. The "looks" of the thing is irrelevant, the important thing is "my view".

The game already moves the camera when you press H. I want in the center. The unfortunate part of that request is that my Frame then gets in the way, so it either has to be see-through or removed.

This is not a "request to DE to actually do it" I'm pointing out that saying "can't be done" is insane when the game already does all the things I want.

* Reposition camera - press H.

* Remove Helmet - I've been decapitated by the game numerous times.

* Transparent Frame - frigging Loki invisibility.

* Position camera further forward - Try pressing your aim button.

Insisting that it takes "work" is demonstrably incorrect.

Edited by DSpite

Come again?

2TGCAjs.jpg

By the way, the gaping hole at the bottom right is my character's neck. The horse that I'm sitting on is facing away from the camera.

This is with the Enhanced Camera mod (which functions identically to Immersive 1st Person on horseback).

This actually never happened to me with Skyrim, but now that you've shown that it exists in that context then there can be other instances where that's going to be a problem.

This actually never happened to me with Skyrim, but now that you've shown that it exists in that context then there can be other instances where that's going to be a problem.

Just go on horseback with a bow and look around while the string is drawn. XD

But yeah, these things tend to be a major issue when trying to convert TPS to FPS. It's a lot more complicated than just slapping a camera on the character's face and hiding the head model.