Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Big Update Download?! Yes, Optimizations Incoming!

[DE]Steve

PC Tenno Today… Console Tenno in a few weeks: The Mesa Update is a whopper, roughly 1 GB at the time of this writing.

Typically when you’re faced with 1 GB download size you can expect a lot of that data to be new content – but today it’s different. Roughly 1/3rd of this new update is focused on optimization.

The type of optimizations coming today focus on a sweeping change of mesh formats. This change will reduce load times and video memory consumption.

All the graphics you see in game are made up of meshes – and meshes are quite large. We’ve compacted the vertex format we use by 25%, meaning in the future we are able to fit more meshes in our work, and you’ll have faster load and render times. This download pain now will continue to pay dividends in the future!

For those technically inclined: Vertex positions are using ‘half float’ and our tangent basis has it’s bitangent calculated instead of stored.

Thanks for bearing with us for this change, and if you need something to watch while your download chugs away, we suggest the following:

QErkoMg.gif

(credit: http://theloobster.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Moa-Racing-379612727)

PinkShortsLauncher 2.0!

Meshes are composed of polygons right? I mean, whenever a game is lagging with too many enemies on screeen they say its because there are too many surfaces / polygons involved for the engine to render fast enough, hence the slowness, have I got it wrong? >.>

It is likely these are unrelated, and I have no idea what I am talking about, but thank you and the team for this :D

eASwWvl.png

Edited by Somedude1000

Typically when you’re faced with 1 GB download size you can expect a lot of that data to be new content – but today it’s different. Roughly 1/3rd of this new update is focused on optimization.

So....roughly 660 megs of new content?  I think that still qualifies as "a lot" :)