Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Big Update Download?! Yes, Optimizations Incoming!

[DE]Steve

PC Tenno Today… Console Tenno in a few weeks: The Mesa Update is a whopper, roughly 1 GB at the time of this writing.

Typically when you’re faced with 1 GB download size you can expect a lot of that data to be new content – but today it’s different. Roughly 1/3rd of this new update is focused on optimization.

The type of optimizations coming today focus on a sweeping change of mesh formats. This change will reduce load times and video memory consumption.

All the graphics you see in game are made up of meshes – and meshes are quite large. We’ve compacted the vertex format we use by 25%, meaning in the future we are able to fit more meshes in our work, and you’ll have faster load and render times. This download pain now will continue to pay dividends in the future!

For those technically inclined: Vertex positions are using ‘half float’ and our tangent basis has it’s bitangent calculated instead of stored.

Thanks for bearing with us for this change, and if you need something to watch while your download chugs away, we suggest the following:

QErkoMg.gif

(credit: http://theloobster.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Moa-Racing-379612727)

Dat BFG... LOL

1Gb?! Give it to me already!!!! I can't wait any longer  AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 

Thank you, thank you for the details..

so... 33% of the gig will be updated models on everything? is this, per chance, to take some load off the console versions? :P

not that i'd complain, that means i can keep my gpu + cpu setup around a bit longer. optimisation is always nice.

tho, i'm really just waiting for the much needed netcode / AI and host / host migration optimisation too.

I'm not the only one thinking it lol so I'll say it...

A Warframe can be colored black.
Mesa (If that's her true name) is a Warframe.

Black + Warframe = Black Mesa

Valve just got into their 16th anniversary of HL1, ending their 15th year celebration.

DE is in update 15, prolly ending their .3 of the 15.3. soon.   Yep...  .3!

Black Mesa + 15 + .3 = Half Life 3 confirmed.

You're welcome.