Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 7.9.0: The Glaive

[DE]Rebecca

Man. You would think that NO UPDATE would be communicated to the players somehow.... Or a delay... etc , etc.

It actually has been in another thread.

Voila! No there's something for you to do while you wait.

K, so I'm not wrong, just not detailed enough....

Once the mass(es) leave the barrel, all your knowledge of gun mechanics means nothing, and basic physics takes over. A bullet simply does not lose its velocity perpendicular to gravity very quickly. So that bullet, impacting, will have a very, very, very, very ,very low damage drop off...I'm glad you know things, but unfortunately they aren't relevant here.

As I have nothing better to do and because my browser opened the thread on a post quoting me.

I am afraid you are still wrong; the pellets from a shotgun don't have near the same muzzle velocity.

The pellet from a typical 12 bore fired from a choked barrel is around 325-425m/s, a typical rifle round 1200-1500 m/s, with some larger calibers and match grade ammo used by snipers exceeding 2500m/s. As a result they do not have anything like the same muzzle energy; a typical shotgun pellet will be around 150-200 Joules, with a 7.62 round at 3800 joules, all the way up to 15000 joules for a .50 cal, yay for "basic physics".

In more practical terms,  a typical rifle round can maintain enough velocity to kill out beyond a mile, and stray rounds from larger calibers such as 7.62 have reportedly killed targets 2 miles from the point they were fired, and this doesn’t take account of the ammunition or match grade equipment used by snipers. On the other hand,  because shotguns rely on the kinetic energy from the simultaneous impact of multiple projectiles, a "typical" 12 bore shotgun pellet will bounce off a target at 200m's+, quite a marked difference, and the reason law enforcement use shotguns in most urban situations as opposed to rifle's.

Edited by HexCaliber