Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Moves 2.0 (Part Ii) : Throws & Grabs

unknow99

I was re-reading this and noticed the part about how heavy units would be harder to grab (because they're heavy-er).

Perhaps the grab system could also include a gauge of physical strength between Warframes so that some are inherently better at this grab mechanic than others?

A Rhino should absolutely be able to grab heavies with ease. A Loki should not.

actually in almost any martial art your strength and weight can be compensated with technique, a Loki may not be able to Supplex a heavy but can use joint control to take him down, and several throws can be executed on heavier opponents

Hmmm can you provide a video for example?

I'm having trouble finding a video, so have this illustrative picture instead. (On an off-topic note, I seem to be getting better at mouse drawing. Still suck though.)

It's basically this pose except with a slight movement boost when there is a target nearby.

HQnLITR.png

Edited by Lukap99

I'm having trouble finding a video, so have this illustrative picture instead. (On an off-topic note, I seem to be getting better at mouse drawing. Still suck though.)

It's basically this pose except with a slight movement boost when there is a target nearby.

HQnLITR.png

OooOoh I see : really interesting to close the gap between you & a group of ranged enemies while having an alive cover...

I like! :)

+1 for the mouse drawing effort.

Edited by unknow99

OooOoh I see : really interesting to close the gap between you & a group of ranged enemies while having an alive cover...

I like! :)

+1 for the mouse drawing effort.

I found a video.

It happens fast, so you better repeat it a couple of times in case you miss it.

I found a video.

It happens fast, so you better repeat it a couple of times in case you miss it.

Yup,this is exactly what I'm aiming for.(the enemy just needs to be before you,so you can advance while your little friend risks his life taking bullets for ya.)

I loved the idea of the opening post and its extrapolations. But what makes me sad: some of these ideas are already present in other games. How many of them are copyrighted?

Have in mind one thing, such mechanics take time to be implemented, and priorities must be established, what do we want first:

1 - this new mechanic suggested by OP?

2 - boss revamps?

3 -  New tilests?

4 - New faction?

5 - More things to grind, like more primes, more frames, more weapons?

So many options, so little time...

And yes, i want rushing mentality gone too!!! And less grinding for f***** sake!!!

Edited by renleech

I've never upvoted any thread before this one.  Good job, I like it.

Reminds me a bit of Vindictus grabs (a very useful feature in that game) and the meatshield moves in...is it Payday2? or Saints Row?  I forget, but anyhow, good work.

Saint's Row. It's kind of funny seeing what you can do to a person you take as a meatshield. You can either snap their neck or throw them half a mile away.

actually in almost any martial art your strength and weight can be compensated with technique, a Loki may not be able to Supplex a heavy but can use joint control to take him down, and several throws can be executed on heavier opponents

True enough, but this isn't about takedowns so much as it is about being able to grab, lift and carry enemies (read: the whole "meatshield" thing). A Loki would have significantly more trouble doing this, yeah?

I've never upvoted any thread before this one.  Good job, I like it.

Reminds me a bit of Vindictus grabs (a very useful feature in that game) and the meatshield moves in...is it Payday2? or Saints Row?  I forget, but anyhow, good work.

I triggered your first upvote? What a honour, t...Thank you! ;-;

I loved the idea of the opening post and its extrapolations. But what makes me sad: some of these ideas are already present in other games. How many of them are copyrighted?

Have in mind one thing, such mechanics take time to be implemented, and priorities must be established, what do we want first:

1 - this new mechanic suggested by OP?

2 - boss revamps?

3 -  New tilests?

4 - New faction?

5 - More things to grind, like more primes, more frames, more weapons?

So many options, so little time...

And yes, i want rushing mentality gone too!!! And less grinding for f***** sake!!!

I agree with you : this suggestion,if they want to implement it(eventhough I'd rather see the ledge mechanics before) is not at all a high priority!

If they had to choose between this and fixing core gameplay, the choice would be obvious!!

About the copyright thing... DE wants to add swimming. Oops, Super Mario 64 or even Super Mario Bros 1 allowed the players to swim. Is this a copyright issue? Of course not man!! :)

Making a ripoff of this is hard to imagine... I'm not suggesting Ember to become a Suppa Saiyajin & do a Kameha gesture for her fireball.

We have stealth executions. Do you know how many games have executions?A lot...Manhunt,Splinter cell,Hitman,True crime...Even FPS like Battlefield got some now.

If we have suits & use bows,that doesn't mean that we're copying the guy from Crysis either. You get my point now? A concept as fundamental as this can't be a copyright thing.(unless you copy/paste executions from Splinter Cell or something)

I briefly played Prince Of Persia Warrior Within years ago.  I didn't like how the controls felt or the slow sprint speed.  But, I think it shows some of the combat moves the OP is suggesting: 

One of the negatives that stands out to me is how inactive the enemy is.  It often stands around.  That's one of the things I don't like about those combat systems.  It's too slow, lacks urgency.  A lot of posturing.  It looks like they didn't bother to animate the supposed reason why the enemy is not striking.  And when the player stands around it's not Space Ninja at all.

It's not the core of Warframe.  Warframe: Developer Q&A , Answer to Question 4: "The core is the 4 guys against a massive army.  And, generally speaking, they are devastating. The core is not something like in Gears of War where the one on one is something a bit more balanced.  One Space Ninja against a whole ship of Grineer is the idea.  But, that needs to be balanced by boss battles, and by like desperate scenarios.  But, generally speaking, the whole idea of it, even an old ninja (right?) is that the untrained militia get devastated by a single one."

Edited by ThePresident777

I briefly played Prince Of Persia Warrior Within years ago.  I didn't like how the controls felt or the slow sprint speed.  But, I think it shows some of the combat moves the OP is suggesting: 

One of the negatives that stands out to me is how inactive the enemy is.  It often stands around.  That's one of the things I don't like about those combat systems.  It's too slow, lacks urgency.  A lot of posturing.  It looks like they didn't bother to animate the supposed reason why the enemy is not striking.  And when the player stands around it's not Space Ninja at all.

It's not the core of Warframe.  Warframe: Developer Q&A , Answer to Question 4: "The core is the 4 guys against a massive army.  And, generally speaking, they are devastating. The core is not something like in Gears of War where the one on one is something a bit more balanced.  One Space Ninja against a whole ship of Grineer is the idea.  But, that needs to be balanced by boss battles, and by like desperate scenarios.  But, generally speaking, the whole idea of it, even an old ninja (right?) is that the untrained militia get devastated by a single one."

Ah yeah, PoP has so many environment interaction & moves...(but didn't age well.. :/ )

I agree to an extent : these enemies are as active as wood. However, it doesn't defeat the purpose of throws...What I mean by this idea is to try to implement a sort of counter to incoming fire, ragdoll to a group of enemies(if you throw the guy you just caught) etc...Without making the game as slow as the old Prince of Persia or other cover games like GoW.

You see what I mean?

Edited by unknow99

I just put to build three glove weapons just out of envy about your german suplexes

Go fight infested and drop in Retribution mod. Also put in full Parry mod. Use a bunch of different melee weapons and you will see things that a lot of people miss out on. It's some damn good fun.

I was in a game last night with a buddy and I told him, let's try something different (for him) and run melee only no abilities. He started seeing how I was picking up enemies and throwing them, or doing back breakers, with the Venka. He kept stopping and going "oh damn wow I didn't know that existed" when I would switch up weapons.

The different combos can also offer up different finishers, so make sure to actually try out different combos! It's a great start that I hope Geoff and team develop more of.

• 1 month later...

Go fight infested and drop in Retribution mod. Also put in full Parry mod. Use a bunch of different melee weapons and you will see things that a lot of people miss out on. It's some damn good fun.

I was in a game last night with a buddy and I told him, let's try something different (for him) and run melee only no abilities. He started seeing how I was picking up enemies and throwing them, or doing back breakers, with the Venka. He kept stopping and going "oh damn wow I didn't know that existed" when I would switch up weapons.

The different combos can also offer up different finishers, so make sure to actually try out different combos! It's a great start that I hope Geoff and team develop more of.

I can confirm : it looks really fun to do! They should expand this kind of stuff... :)

the Tenno are not Batman ...... we kill ..... throws and grabs are for non lethal combat ...... there is nothing lethal in a throw ...... stop watching bad action movies

I would downvote ....but I can't!

Just another wrestling fanboy ...... please go play what ever games feature that..... don't bring that crap into warframe!

Edited by nekrojiji

the Tenno are not Batman ...... we kill ..... throws and grabs are for non lethal combat ...... there is nothing lethal in a throw ...... stop watching bad action movies

Grabbing can lead to throttling or neck-snapping which is pretty lethal. There's also throwing people off cliffs, which is probably going to kill them too. I like the idea of grappling but more for stealth rather than fighting swarms of enemies. You could grab a person, drag them away from other enemies then quietly finish them off for that nice Stealth Kill bonus. 

I would downvote ....but I can't!

Just another wrestling fanboy ...... please go play what ever games feature that..... don't bring that crap into warframe!

Hahaha not at all man... You know why? GrandMasterDan can explain that, look :

Grabbing can lead to throttling or neck-snapping which is pretty lethal. There's also throwing people off cliffs, which is probably going to kill them too. I like the idea of grappling but more for stealth rather than fighting swarms of enemies. You could grab a person, drag them away from other enemies then quietly finish them off for that nice Stealth Kill bonus. 

Me? A Batman & wrestling fanboy?

giphy.gif

Anyway, it's nice to have positive & negative criticism. Yours should be more constructive...

• 1 month later...