Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frosts First Ability Thoughts

Dokusi

I am appreciative of what DE has done with all the powers in the game. With the mods auto equipped I use powers I had to sacrifice for others.

With that said I've been using freeze and I'm getting pretty good at it again, especially with a heavy efficiency mod.

When the patch came out that said freeze now does splash damage if it misses and hits nearby targets or terrain like embers first power I was happy to hear that.

Now that I've tried it out I'm a bit eh about it. I thought it would be similar to embers cause ember can hit the floor with it and still damages targets near it some pretty good damage. Frosts kinda hits them and kinda cold proc time to time.

I don't want to sound unappreciative and I am thankful for the change; a little more in this direction would be appreciative. Either more splash damage or way more proc chance so we would use it much more instead of relying on ice wave like I and probably others do.

Freeze should be a continuous stream beam, much wider than what we have now.

Also, enemies killed with more than 50% damage taken from this power should explode with small blast and freeze radial effect.

This should apply for Glaxion and any weapon dealing cold damage.

AoE damage similar to Fireball is not what Freeze needed in my opinion. I assume that when players requested such a change, they were implying that the freeze effect should apply to everyone in the area as opposed to a single target. Simply adding cold damage in an area with a low status chance does not change the fact that Freeze remains a projectile-based, single-target disable that breaks upon ~300 damage to health.

Freeze's primary focus should be disabling affected enemies reliably. In Freeze's current state, the ~300 damage threshold is far too low. Equipped companions can cause the disable to end prematurely outside of the player's control, not to mention stray bullets and radial attacks from allies.

If Freeze is to remain a single-target disable, consider the following:

- Increase health damage threshold from a flat ~300 HP to 50% of the target's current health (as it was before Frost's most recent balance pass).

- Modify the mechanics to apply cold damage when the freeze effect ends (duration expires or the health threshold is reached). 

- Remove radial damage.

The reason for the second suggestion is that as of now, the projectile damage has a low status chance that often goes to waste since the enemy is frozen. A 50% movement slow isn't going to do any good when the enemy is already motionless. With this suggestion, it would be possible for the target to be proc'd as it recovers from the disable.

If Freeze is to keep its AoE mechanic, consider the following:

- Increase health damage threshold from a flat ~300 HP to 50% of the target's current health.

- Replace radial damage with a radial freeze effect.

- Remove all damage components.

- Reduce AoE to 2 meters (smaller than Fireball's AoE).

I'm leaning towards the latter set of suggestions since I really don't believe damage is necessary for Freeze. I would much rather sacrifice damage for a reliable disable that can affect multiple targets simultaneously. While one might argue that 2 meters is far too small of an AoE, the point is that the projectile would not require a direct hit to freeze targets. Having an AoE of this size would allow the player to aim the projectile at the ground and freeze intended targets, as long as the projectile lands within range.

I personally would be happy if Freeze didn't do any damage, and just cold-proc'd enemies in a significantly large aoe. Nobody uses Freeze for the damage, so why not make it a utility option?

This exactly. I was excited when I tried out the changes to Freeze and saw enemies get slowed by it....and enormously disappointed when I tried it on something else and discovered that it was only a chance to slow. :(

I personally would be happy if Freeze didn't do any damage, and just cold-proc'd enemies in a significantly large aoe. Nobody uses Freeze for the damage, so why not make it a utility option?

I can also agree with this. It's not a damage based ability and utility kinda goes out the window when it only affects a single target for a limited amount of time.