Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: Coming Archwing Changes!

[DE]Rebecca

Aww...I liked that the Decurion was Semi-auto, the weapon recoil was more of a hassle for medium and long shots than the low clip size and Semi-auto click spam. Not gonna complain about a damage buff but I have a feeling its gonna play like a reskinned Imperator and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

And, perhaps the biggest  change of all:

Warframe Stats and Mods no longer carry over onto Archwing performance.

All Archwings now have different base Health/Shield/Armor stats that can be modded (with the newly buffed mods).

What this generally will change is the ‘Rhino or XYZ is the only Viable frame’ statements.

Called it!

(sorry in advance for my reaction)

Oh, ok, so now, we'll have two games: Warframe, and Archwing... At least before with the warframe stats coming with your archwing, I had hope that, one day, archwing would be a PART of our Arsenal, but now it's just stupid. You said you didn't want to do dog fight in a ship, but that way at least you'd have an excuse for making the archwing completely detached from your inventory.

Seriously, to me, this change is the most stupid you've done in a long time. The way it should've been to make squishy Warframes interesting in archwing missions would've been to let us pick one skill from the warframe when we play Archwing mission, NOT TO COMPLETELY DETACH THE STATS!!

I love "Warframe", but now I don't see an reason to play "Archwing"....

All Archwings now have different base Health/Shield/Armor stats that can be modded (with the newly buffed mods).

What this generally will change is the ‘Rhino or XYZ is the only Viable frame’ statements.

Sooooo...pretty much making Archwing even less part of the game than it is now? What's the point of playing archwing now exactly? At least that's the ONLY thing connecting it to the warframes, and now you're removing it? Sure, some frames weren't exactly good in space, but let's say you wanted more armor, you'd use valkyr, more shields, you'd use rhino/volt/mag/zephyr or w/e...now Archwing is pretty much just a glorified minigame.

Aww...I liked that the Decurion was Semi-auto, the weapon recoil was more of a hassle for medium and long shots than the low clip size and Semi-auto click spam. Not gonna complain about a damage buff but I have a feeling its gonna play like a reskinned Imperator and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Exactly. The only thing I was hoping they'd buff on them were the damage per shot and make the accuracy and recoil equal to that of the Imperator.

Stay tuned for more details tomorrow, and we will update this with any major changes should they occur. We mostly wanted to give you a heads up on what you can expect in the ‘Archwing Improvements’ department!

its a nice change i think but if i may suggest to add something to it, how about add something special to every warframe to be used on archwings? like adding a passives or an aura or innate special skill when a particular warframe is used thus making that archwings not just a glorified minigame inside warframe as stated above but an extension of the gamea a whole.

Tenno,

Archwing will be receiving some changes in the next major update (likely tomorrow on PC). This post will give a general outline of what you can expect tomorrow, as well as the fundamental takeaway that we aren’t done changing, tweaking, and forever adjusting things to better fit a fun Archwing experience!

Dual Decurion Buff

The latest Archwing Reinforcement will be receiving boosts on stats for damage and clip size.

The weapon now fires as Automatic instead of semi-Automatic.

Innate Vacuum for Loot pickup

All players will now experience a default radial ‘Vacuum’ effect for loot making pick-ups easier to grab and improve the general flow of movement.

Archwing Interception Rewards

Interception Rewards are now exclusively Archwing Mods, no other mods are presented in the Reward Table.    

Stunlock Reduced

Overall stunlock intensity reduced in combat.

Buffed Mods

Critical Chance Mods for Melee and Rifle have both been buffed.

Health/Shield/Armor Mods have been buffed.

Stay tuned for more details tomorrow, and we will update this with any major changes should they occur. We mostly wanted to give you a heads up on what you can expect in the ‘Archwing Improvements’ department!

Great :)

On the last part i was assuming that bringing tanky frames to archwing was just about bringing the right tool for the job, but this was because the archwing missions we had were archwing mode only, but with this change i wonder... are we going then to get mixed mode archwing missions too?

I mean like in the archwing quest mission where the start was in normal mission mode (in the usual internal tileset) but then in the middle of it we extracted to seamlessly continue the mission in archwing mode.

In that scenario this change makes sense: choosing the right warframe for the normal mission mode part and then also choosing the right tools for the archwing part of the mission, without the two different modes interfering each other in functionality and in their own loadouts.

Am i correct? Hope so :)

Edited by perfectStranger

Honestly, this is how Archwing should look from the start.

All the changes and additions seem to be obviously necessary. 

Remove forced extraction and placeholder enemies, add some bosses and we may have a not horrible addition to classic missions.

Dual Decurion Buff

Cool. I looked at the stats when it came out, and thought "aren't those the akmagnus's stats?"

And then I checked, and they both have 8.3 fire rate, 16 magazine, 3 sec reload time, 25% 2x crits, it just trades most of the status chance for 5 extra damage.

Didn't even bother to look for it because it's pretty obvious an Akmagnus is going to be underwhelming in space. The basic space starter weapon Imperator is comparable to Boltor Prime, isn't it? Big guns to shoot at big enemies.

Will make things much easier, thanks.

And, perhaps the biggest  change of all: Warframe Stats and Mods no longer carry over onto Archwing performance.

Important question: Does this include auras? Because getting rid of rejuvenation/energy siphon/loot detector would be annoying.

I think the best thing would be to let us put auras on our archwings because having them be the only thing on your warframe that has an effect would be a bit odd.

Overall though, a good change. I no longer have to keep a separate loadout for archwing that's just Rhino with a bunch of health mods!

+1 on the Aura's question, and I will wait until I see the exact changes to the Archwing mods to give opinion on whether this is good or bad-for all I know you've made all Archwings have 1k health and shields with mods that add 500%. If there's been no change to the archwing survivability mods I'm not going to be giving positive feedback on the change, though.

(sorry in advance for my reaction)

Oh, ok, so now, we'll have two games: Warframe, and Archwing... At least before with the warframe stats coming with your archwing, I had hope that, one day, archwing would be a PART of our Arsenal, but now it's just stupid. You said you didn't want to do dog fight in a ship, but that way at least you'd have an excuse for making the archwing completely detached from your inventory.

Seriously, to me, this change is the most stupid you've done in a long time. The way it should've been to make squishy Warframes interesting in archwing missions would've been to let us pick one skill from the warframe when we play Archwing mission, NOT TO COMPLETELY DETACH THE STATS!!

I love "Warframe", but now I don't see an reason to play "Archwing"....

Then don't play it. It's simple.

DE, we NEED Archwing to tie into the main game more somehow. The changes to mods/stats is good in many ways, but it also disassociates AW even more from the main game.

Not only should our WFs provide some kind of passive, ability mod (something) to the AW, playing Archwing missions should also provide some sort of benefit to the main game too. 

i want to grind AW missions knowing that i'm working towards a greater goal in the main game. Be it, a special mod, parts, cosmetic....something that my warframe can benefit from. 

Maybe playing AW missions can improve the effectiveness and lifespan of extractors, maybe it could earn us improvements for Liset, add a few exclusive rare AW mods that can be used on all weapons.

I like playing AW missions, but if it has no bearing on main game, it becomes harder to justify my time spent playing Warframe doing AW missions. The game mode is fun, but i feel it could be so much more satisfying if it tied into the main game more.

Edited by Hypernaut1

How about improving the HUD for archwing missions?

Basically you need to take cues from space fight/flight games instead of trying to do your own thing (and fail). Space fight/flight is a reasonably well-charted territory in gaming, just look around for what works. You don't have to go full-sim, Warframe/Archwing is arcade-ish. But the UI/navigation is in dire need of improvement. 

Check on Galaxy On Fire for example. Being a mobile game, it's not too sim-ish, but has a decent interface and playability; also being a mobile game, it has the simplicity which is also required to make ideas viable on a game with fast development turnaround like Warframe. 

FIX THE ENEMY SIZE. 

You just doubled their size because they were impossible to pinpoint at a distance. That's a quick patch, but very hackish/lame, and they still get invisible at the distance. 

You have to put a reticule around every enemy and loot, which scales with distance. Even if they are too far to be seen, the reticule would still have a distinctive look and a minimum size, making it recognizable near-instantly. With this you can revert enemies/loot back to their correct size. 

CHANGE THE CONTROLS TO REAL FLIGHT CONTROLS. 

That's (one of) the worst design decision you have made with archwing. It wants to be a flight arcade-sim so hard, but uses ground controls. This is so wrong. Let me roll in the vertical axis endlessly if I want to. You can remap an action - crouch for example - as a 'level' movement to put archwing back with the horizontal plane. 

I have made a thread about the UI previously:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/336215-improving-archwing-gameplay-hud/

(we also need more mission types, such as excavation)

MAKE THE CENTRAL RETICULE WITH TARGET LOCKING.

This is straight off from flight sim games.

Once the target is locked, some effects will happen:

PREDICTIVE RETICULE - Depending on distance, speed and active weapon, besides the reticule at the target's position, a smaller reticule will be displayed in a vector forward of the enemy, calculating where is the enemy expected to be according to the projectile's speed. The player should center his aim to this smaller reticule for the shots to land on the enemy by the time he gets there. 

LIMITED RANGE: Every weapon's shots should disappear or disperse after some distance traveled. This is unrealistic, but makes things more manageable and is also a staple of space flight/fight. The predictive reticule would change color when the target is in range of the weapons. The enemy target-locked would have its distance displayed in the HUD. Mods would increase weapon attack distance.

Some weapons would gimbal for better precision at a distance, or shots will home in to the target. 

GIMBAL: Instead of shooting straight to the central reticule, weapons will shoot aiming at the predictive reticule, up to X degrees. Some weapons could have Gimbal mods to improve this angle. Weapons with hitscan and travel speed can both have gimbal.

HOMING: a locked target would have some weapons behave like the Buzlok. Shots would be attracted to the enemy. The buzlok has a too atrong attraction effect though. In Archwing, the homing would be much less pronounced, and shots would not crazily circle around the enemy. If the angular variation speed is not enough for the shot to land in the predictive reticule, the bullet loses its homing and flies straight. Weapons with homing can have mods to improve its angular speed. HOMING weapons should be a main category of archwing weapons, not a one-off spacial-crazy weapon like the Buzlok.

IMPOSE TARGET LOCKING PENALTIES TO ENEMIES - If the enemy does not have a target lock, the chance to hit is very low. Player would still hear shots zinging around, as unrealistic as it is in space - but Archwing is arcade, not sim. THere should be ways to shake off target locks by skill and Archwing powers as well - Odonata already has its flares which can be retooled for that. 

GEOMETRY BRUSH-OFF - Too often we pinball around when trying to go at high speeds. It is too much of a hard break on Archwing momentum. It should be possible fhr Archwing to just do a slight deflection to their movement but geep going forward in many instances. There should be a 'thrust stabilizers' mod to improve badassery in brushing/bumping without being stunned, and even stunning enemies instead. Enemies should be stunned if a high-speed Archwing headbutts on them. 

With love,

BrazilianJoe

Edited by BrazilianJoe

Tenno,

Archwing will be receiving some changes in the next major update (likely tomorrow on PC). This post will give a general outline of what you can expect tomorrow, as well as the fundamental takeaway that we aren’t done changing, tweaking, and forever adjusting things to better fit a fun Archwing experience!

Dual Decurion Buff

The latest Archwing Reinforcement will be receiving boosts on stats for damage and clip size.

The weapon now fires as Automatic instead of semi-Automatic.

All players will now experience a default radial ‘Vacuum’ effect for loot making pick-ups easier to grab and improve the general flow of movement.

Archwing Interception Rewards

Interception Rewards are now exclusively Archwing Mods, no other mods are presented in the Reward Table.    

Stunlock Reduced

Overall stunlock intensity reduced in combat.

Buffed Mods

Critical Chance Mods for Melee and Rifle have both been buffed.

Health/Shield/Armor Mods have been buffed.

Now please fix the keybindings so I can finally crouch-slide in space with "C" instead of "CTRL".