Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion Tenno Launcher

DerpFromAbove

Every faction except the Tenno has at least one primary launcher weapon:

Corpus: Penta

Grineer: Miter and Ogris

Infested: Torid

So here is my suggestion:

I call it "Harbinger" (I know, couldn't come up with a better name)

It is basically a lock-on swarm missile launcher, which launches five missiles which steer towards the target (or location) it was locked on to. 

This is how it is used:

First: You aim at the enemy you want to lock on to and press the zoom-button (right mouse button). This marks the enemy for your launcher to lock on to. If you aim it at the ground, it will lock on to the ground instead. The lock-on has limited distance of course. 

Second: This weapon is beingused very similarly like the Angstrum. More charge, more rockets. 

Third: Upon firing, five missiles get fired and steer towards whatever you locked on to and deal blast damage. After a certain range, if the target is not hit the missile's targeting system turns off and all five missiles fly straight forward. The distance upon which they stop tracking the target... let's say 2x the max targeting range. 

Fourth: Like the Ogris and Penta it can use the firestorm mod and can also get you killed if you are within the explosion radius. Also, if you get hit by a radiation proc, you will deal team damage, so keep that in mind. 

Stats (unmodded):

Damage: 5x 150-200 blast damage (when fully charged) 

Ammo: Each shot consumes 1 ammo and the weapon has a total of 20 ammo. 

Clip size: One shot only, then you have to reload. Makes more sense since each shot contains 5 missiles. 

Reload time: 1.5 seconds. 

Charge time: Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 seconds.

Projectile speed: 40m/s (like Ogris) 

Required mastery rank: 6

Not 100% accuracy, shots spread a bit

Please note that these stats are just my suggestion as to how the weapon may look like. 

Comparison with Ogris:

It has a higher damage output and is better at dealing AOE damage, but has a significantly lower rate of fire. Also, the trigger charge can't be held either. 

Its ammo supply is the same as the Ogris, but it needs to reload after each shot. 

It does not have 100% accuracy, so hitting something without locking on first will be hard. Multishot mods increase the amount of missiles fired. However, missiles will accurately converge on whatever gets locked on, spread only affects initial spread of missiles fired. 

Significantly larger than the Ogris.

Okay, before you start yelling "this weapon is broken" or "this will never happen", keep in mind that these are just some example stats to start with, they can of course be worked on for rebalancing 

How to get it:

Initially I thought it would be a weapon from your clan Dojo, but I think it should be a "Syndicate primary". I mean not a "syndicate modified" weapon, but a 100% syndicate made primary weapon.

As for which syndicate... I am kinda not sure whether Red Veil or Cephalon Suda. 

Edit: Adjusted damage output and changed its description since it is more similar to the Angstrum in use of the charge than to the Opticor

Edited by Harbinger91

For a tenno launcher, how about an automatic grenade launcher? Small 1-2 meter radius explosion, low speed arcing projectiles that explode on impact. ~50-75 blast damage, 2-3 shots per second, 20 round magazine or shotgun ammo. Either high status or decent crit (20% x2, maybe). Give it a belt-feed model.

To start off, this sounds like something I'd basically never use.  Personally I just dislike auto-aim and/or lock-on type stuff.

However to look at it objectively, it's a gnarly idea and I think most of the stats provided along with the mechanics noted it seems close to fair potentially.  The only thing which strikes me as being notably too high is the suggested damage, as unless I'm mistaking what you mean by 5 x 250, that's 1250 potential damage before mods... which is just too damn high.

One mistake isn't worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater as they say however.  It does seem like a solid idea if a Tenno launcher ever became a thing.

[size=1]Either this, or a springloaded catapult which is only able to be carried by Rhino, which then launches Lokis at your unfortunate foe.[/size]

I like this idea, a swarm missile launcher would be quite cool. Functionally it sounds like a weapon version of the Hellion's rocket launcher. I do like the lock on ability.

I feel like it would work a bit better though if instead of working like the Opticor and increasing the damage of the barrage by charging it up it could work more like the Angstrum where charging it up increases the number of rockets in the volley.

What you describe there (lock on plus swarms missiles) is actualy somewhat how i would prefer the missile ability of the Odonata Archwing to work. Or at least how an Archwing based missile launcher could work.

Mostly because that's how i know it from Freespace and the Macross anime.

However i don't think such a launcher would fit the Tenno. Based on their existing weapons and overall style, Tenno are kind of old school with those things. I mean they are using BOWS (very effective mind you). That's how old school they are.

Overall Tenno weapons are (in general) simple, straight forward and you need to aim them yourself.

Things like a launcher with lock-on functions for room clearing missile swarms doesn't sound like their style in terms of weapons, it's more something you would see in Corpus and Grineer arsenals.

So while the idea is not bad, i don't think it would really fit the Tenno.

I would rather think of a recoilless rifle or bazooka as inspiration for a Tenno rocket launcher and a M79 as inspiration for a Tenno grenade launcher. Nice and simple, just the Tenno's style. One-shot weapons which need to be reloaded after every shot instead of having a charge function beforehand.

Though an alternative could be a the bazooka with a 5 round magazine on the rear like the Zakus in Gundam. With mini reloads in between shots. Also a pump action style for the Tenno grenade launcher (ala the famous China Lake one).

A good reference for how high agility combat and bazookas don't need to visualy clash is the Skypia arc of One Piece.

Edited by Othergrunty

Yeah, but we already have a bazooka with a 5 shot magazine- the Ogris. 

I already have an idea to that- 

This missile launcher was a recent development.

Yeah, that's it- a Syndicate-made primary weapon (Arbiter of Hexis, Cephalon Suda or Red Veil) and was made to counter the new enemy types deployed in the field. 

It could be released along other interesting primary syndicate weapons, one for each syndicate (and I am pretty certain that Syndicate primary weapons WILL be introduced in the future). These weapons would then be unique weapons created by the syndicates and not just a modified version of an existing one.