Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Warframe Concept: The Dragon [2.0] — Final Update 2/09/2015

Endrian

Still hoping that this gets made. The frame itself looks absolutely badass both the scaled and unscaled. And warframe HAS bulky frames. So the armored one isnt out of place. I'd still pour a solid 500 plat. Into this frame.

after going through all the posts i got inspired and wrote a smal story 

From high on the cliffs we heard the roar the challenge as the creature leapt in to the sky.

In mere seconds it was upon us clawing, slashing en burning us with unnatural flames.

The brave ones of  our patrol made a stand only to be torn apart first.

As we shot at it it simply ignored the hits as if it was nothing and kept coming at the survivors of its first strike.

It was then that I ran hoping to find a place to hide.

As I looked back at where my patrol was it was gone and the creature leapt in to the sky ones more.

-After action report of  Sentients patrol 561-

-Survivors one of thirty combat units-

Endrian feel free to do with it what you want.

and keep up the good work love the concept 

The original concept looks good and decently balanced, but it seems to copy powers from other warframes with its 1 and 4. 1 highly reminds me of the Zephyr's Tail wind, though the guided approach is pretty cool. The twist you put on the standard dash is enough to make it unique, and unnecessary for further modifications.

4th ability is like combining the current 1 with a weaker world on fire, which while not bad, isn't new. I would want to be able to Hover while in free-flight mode by holding crouch so i could melee or by aiming my gun so i could fire it while staying in the air. Those 2 things would make the Flight more unique and seperate it more from other AoE DoT abilities. Unless you've got your own flight controls that I missed reading about. :D

All of the other base stats look nice, although the armor could be dropped by 100 and the sprint speed be changed to 1.0 without too much loss of power. I think its at 400 to work with the 3rd ability and reach valkyr levels of armor, and that 2nd and 3rd are to work together well to have him ramp-up in tankyness. I have no recommendation about 2nd or 3rd as they are unique for powers, though I would love his team-utility to increase.

I made a second set of powers with a power combo orientation to be an alternative set of powers for the dragon. I wanted things that fit thematically without having to step on any other warframe's power's toes, or if I did, to at least put a new spin on it (as the 1st "dash" ability did with following the cursor). I think that the names of the powers would fit for dragons of every mythos, and not just the chineese or european ideas of dragons. If you get inspired by any of these, feel free to add them into your suggestions!

Here's my take on what a Dragon Frame's powers should be:

Swipe: 25 power Dragon unsheathes his claws and Slashes all enemies in front of him. Can be activated again within 10 seconds at reduced cost to Dash forwards and swipe again.

Affected by Power (damage), Range(swipe and dash length), Cost(Energy AND health), and duration (time to re-cast)

Swipe is because just about all dragons have claws. Also, dragons usually do not stop with just one claw swipe, and he should be able to leap onto fleeing enemies and swipe so that they do not get away.

Energy Breath: 25 power Dragon fires a ball of pure energy towards the cursor. The energy ball can take on the element of anything that hits it. Can be activated again within 10 seconds to have Dragon fire a continuous stream (flamethrower style) at the cost of 5 health per tick. Dragon can move while Energy Breath is activated, and the ability stays on until it is turned off.

Affected by Power (damage), Range (projectile length, flamethrower width), Cost (energy and health), duration (tick length during flamethrower)

Most dragons have an iconic energy style breath weapon, or use magic to emulate it. I am not limiting this ability to any specific energy type as I have encountered lightning, frost, fire, decay, poison, acid, and force dragons in my many years of experience. If a specific element fits the concept, I'll leave it up to whoever is developing the concept to choose an appropriate energy type for the breath. I also thought about the claws being able to be cloaked in energy, but that's too complex. If you wanted an effect like that, just leave energy breath on while you swipe at people and you'll get both damages anyways. The reason the breath costs health per tick is because (it gives him a sore throat) continued channeling of the breath will damage his launch mechanism over time, causing some feedback. Health loss is a nice way to limit how much he can use the breath without getting in the way of the other abilities AND maximizing how well his abilities can work together. I'm considering making the dash-swipe also cost health instead of energy to give him more synergy with devour and more utility with existing mods (rejuvenation, equilibrium, energy siphon, trinity, etc...)

Rend : 0 Energy, 30 second cooldown Dragon targets the closest enemy under half health, leaps onto them, and rips them into 2 halves. The enemies life force is transformed into one health orb and one energy orb. Rend can target corpses to convert the lingering life into a health and energy orb. It takes 30 seconds to fully digest the enemy's lifeforce and be ready for more.

Affected by Power (reduces cooldown), range (leap distance), Duration (number of orbs)

Note: I originally had this ability named Devour, and he'd eat the hearts of his enemies to fuel his (and his allies) increased power and vitality, but the animation of ripping out a heart seemed like it would be too gruesome, even if this game is rated M. Nobody else does anything like this, but the custom animations of eating a heart might be what sets the ability apart from other frames. My current suggestion is so the developers have less work, not more :D

The original concept is for a tanky style bruiser. He has abilities to sustain himself in combat, and to not die easily. This idea is to give the power set a combat sustainability that also can help his friends. Since its a Combat ability, it also has a useful combat effect, though dev's might want to change it from enemy under 50% hp to enemy under 25% hp to really symbolize the enemy in a weakened state. Ability would obviously try to target alive but weakened enemies over corpses.

Unleash: 100 power, 5 power per tick Dragon unleashes the power of himself and nearby allies, and strikes fear into the hearts of his enemies. Enemies within his Unleash radius glow and get reduced stats. Dragon and allies within the radius glow and gain bonus stats. Additionally, Dragon can use the activated again effects (needs a keyword for this) of all of his powers and can Rend any number of enemies for as long as Unleash remains active.

Affected by Power (all stats and percentages), Range (radius of aura), Duration (time between ticks), efficiency (cost change)

There is a lot of design room with the reducing and gaining of stats. Having Dragon and allies gain the ability to regenerate health and shields while the effect is active is an interesting choice, but that doesn't feel like it'd be enough alone. Simply increasing the speeds of all of his team-mates actions by 25% would be decent (walking, running, attacking, fire rate, reload speed, casting speed, shield recharge, sliding).

Enemies would have their speeds decreased by 25% and maximum shields and armor decreased by 25% (stacks with magnetic proc and aura mods)

I am un-sure whether he should increase damage for allies by 25% and reduce the damage done by enemies by 25%, but it is a possible add on in addition to the speed changes.

These powers are trying to reflect on how all dragons are powerful and dangerous. Not all dragons fly, but they are all scary. I hope these powers are looked at objectively, taken with a grain of salt, and are met with constructive criticism like the beginning of the post has done.

Upvote if you like it, comment if you don't or if you have something to add! If the original op likes these powers, feel free to re-post them as alternate option!

The original concept looks good and decently balanced, but it seems to copy powers from other warframes with its 1 and 4. 1 highly reminds me of the Zephyr's Tail wind, though the guided approach is pretty cool. The twist you put on the standard dash is enough to make it unique, and unnecessary for further modifications.

4th ability is like combining the current 1 with a weaker world on fire, which while not bad, isn't new. I would want to be able to Hover while in free-flight mode by holding crouch so i could melee or by aiming my gun so i could fire it while staying in the air. Those 2 things would make the Flight more unique and seperate it more from other AoE DoT abilities. Unless you've got your own flight controls that I missed reading about. :D

All of the other base stats look nice, although the armor could be dropped by 100 and the sprint speed be changed to 1.0 without too much loss of power. I think its at 400 to work with the 3rd ability and reach valkyr levels of armor, and that 2nd and 3rd are to work together well to have him ramp-up in tankyness. I have no recommendation about 2nd or 3rd as they are unique for powers, though I would love his team-utility to increase.

I made a second set of powers with a power combo orientation to be an alternative set of powers for the dragon. I wanted things that fit thematically without having to step on any other warframe's power's toes, or if I did, to at least put a new spin on it (as the 1st "dash" ability did with following the cursor). I think that the names of the powers would fit for dragons of every mythos, and not just the chineese or european ideas of dragons. If you get inspired by any of these, feel free to add them into your suggestions!

Here's my take on what a Dragon Frame's powers should be:

Swipe: 25 power Dragon unsheathes his claws and Slashes all enemies in front of him. Can be activated again within 10 seconds at reduced cost to Dash forwards and swipe again.

Affected by Power (damage), Range(swipe and dash length), Cost(Energy AND health), and duration (time to re-cast)

Swipe is because just about all dragons have claws. Also, dragons usually do not stop with just one claw swipe, and he should be able to leap onto fleeing enemies and swipe so that they do not get away.

Energy Breath: 25 power Dragon fires a ball of pure energy towards the cursor. The energy ball can take on the element of anything that hits it. Can be activated again within 10 seconds to have Dragon fire a continuous stream (flamethrower style) at the cost of 5 health per tick. Dragon can move while Energy Breath is activated, and the ability stays on until it is turned off.

Affected by Power (damage), Range (projectile length, flamethrower width), Cost (energy and health), duration (tick length during flamethrower)

Most dragons have an iconic energy style breath weapon, or use magic to emulate it. I am not limiting this ability to any specific energy type as I have encountered lightning, frost, fire, decay, poison, acid, and force dragons in my many years of experience. If a specific element fits the concept, I'll leave it up to whoever is developing the concept to choose an appropriate energy type for the breath. I also thought about the claws being able to be cloaked in energy, but that's too complex. If you wanted an effect like that, just leave energy breath on while you swipe at people and you'll get both damages anyways. The reason the breath costs health per tick is because (it gives him a sore throat) continued channeling of the breath will damage his launch mechanism over time, causing some feedback. Health loss is a nice way to limit how much he can use the breath without getting in the way of the other abilities AND maximizing how well his abilities can work together. I'm considering making the dash-swipe also cost health instead of energy to give him more synergy with devour and more utility with existing mods (rejuvenation, equilibrium, energy siphon, trinity, etc...)

Rend : 0 Energy, 30 second cooldown Dragon targets the closest enemy under half health, leaps onto them, and rips them into 2 halves. The enemies life force is transformed into one health orb and one energy orb. Rend can target corpses to convert the lingering life into a health and energy orb. It takes 30 seconds to fully digest the enemy's lifeforce and be ready for more.

Affected by Power (reduces cooldown), range (leap distance), Duration (number of orbs)

Note: I originally had this ability named Devour, and he'd eat the hearts of his enemies to fuel his (and his allies) increased power and vitality, but the animation of ripping out a heart seemed like it would be too gruesome, even if this game is rated M. Nobody else does anything like this, but the custom animations of eating a heart might be what sets the ability apart from other frames. My current suggestion is so the developers have less work, not more :D

The original concept is for a tanky style bruiser. He has abilities to sustain himself in combat, and to not die easily. This idea is to give the power set a combat sustainability that also can help his friends. Since its a Combat ability, it also has a useful combat effect, though dev's might want to change it from enemy under 50% hp to enemy under 25% hp to really symbolize the enemy in a weakened state. Ability would obviously try to target alive but weakened enemies over corpses.

Unleash: 100 power, 5 power per tick Dragon unleashes the power of himself and nearby allies, and strikes fear into the hearts of his enemies. Enemies within his Unleash radius glow and get reduced stats. Dragon and allies within the radius glow and gain bonus stats. Additionally, Dragon can use the activated again effects (needs a keyword for this) of all of his powers and can Rend any number of enemies for as long as Unleash remains active.

Affected by Power (all stats and percentages), Range (radius of aura), Duration (time between ticks), efficiency (cost change)

There is a lot of design room with the reducing and gaining of stats. Having Dragon and allies gain the ability to regenerate health and shields while the effect is active is an interesting choice, but that doesn't feel like it'd be enough alone. Simply increasing the speeds of all of his team-mates actions by 25% would be decent (walking, running, attacking, fire rate, reload speed, casting speed, shield recharge, sliding).

Enemies would have their speeds decreased by 25% and maximum shields and armor decreased by 25% (stacks with magnetic proc and aura mods)

I am un-sure whether he should increase damage for allies by 25% and reduce the damage done by enemies by 25%, but it is a possible add on in addition to the speed changes.

These powers are trying to reflect on how all dragons are powerful and dangerous. Not all dragons fly, but they are all scary. I hope these powers are looked at objectively, taken with a grain of salt, and are met with constructive criticism like the beginning of the post has done.

Upvote if you like it, comment if you don't or if you have something to add! If the original op likes these powers, feel free to re-post them as alternate option!

The problem with movement abilities is that there are only so many ways to have "original" movement from one point to another. You say I've "copied" other warframe's abilities by having the air-dash, but: Excalibur's Slash Dash, Valkyr's Ripline, Rhino's Charge, Zephyr's Tail Wind, these are all functionally "dashes" of one form or another. Then there's Ash's Teleport and Loki's Switch Teleport. Same thing. That's just the way things are, sometimes. You could argue they're different because of the secondary effects of each, but that's the same reason I'd argue Dragon's is different. But, still, that's not what you're arguing and I'm just blowing smoke. Moving on.

Valkyr has a tremendous amount of armor, yes, compared to literally every other warframe. There is not a single other warframe that comes close—and it's always bugged me that she has so much armor, when she literally looks like she has had the armor torn from her body. So, yes, Dragon's higher base armor (400 vs Valkyr's 600 vs Rhino's 190) is meant to help close the gap between Valkyr and the other warframes; 300 feels too low to me, when it's literally half of Valkyr's.

SWIPE: This ability has potential, but I dislike that it loses the "air" part of the dash, which was the entire goal of Winged Lancer—pseudo-flight, allowing your warframe to get into positions that earthbound enemies and warframes would normally find difficult to reach, if not impossible. Winged Lancer allows for a host of positioning strategies and opens up stealth routes that you can't otherwise achieve.

REND: Not only does this give Dragon a split focus (he becomes a support, doing part of Nekros's job in spawning health/energy orbs), it also radically diverts from the stated theme; an action like this, I feel turns Dragon into more of a raging animal, not a skilled warrior following the draconic theme of power, ego, and flight. It seems more like something Valkyr would do.

UNLEASH: This concept has completely stripped out the heart of Dragon—free flight. That was always the goal for Dragon that Zephyr, as the wind frame, never satisfyingly met: the first true flying warframe, bringing death and destruction from above. Don't look at Rising Dragon as a weaker World on Fire—the plasma damage aura wasn't intended from the beginning; it was meant to actually buff his weapon damage until someone brought up that it'd make more sense as an AOE effect. The goal was always, however, free flight; the plasma damage was just gravy. No warframe does true free flight, yet.

Your design is good, but I don't think it really suits Dragon, except for your suggested ENERGY BREATH. That has potential, but I've always strayed away from that "dragon breath" kind of attack because I never wanted to encroach on Ember's territory. The rest of the abilities, however, would very much suit a beastly kind of warframe. Maybe some sort of wolf or tiger or lion-themed warframe...

Edited by Endrian

after going through all the posts i got inspired and wrote a smal story 

From high on the cliffs we heard the roar the challenge as the creature leapt in to the sky.

In mere seconds it was upon us clawing, slashing en burning us with unnatural flames.

The brave ones of  our patrol made a stand only to be torn apart first.

As we shot at it it simply ignored the hits as if it was nothing and kept coming at the survivors of its first strike.

It was then that I ran hoping to find a place to hide.

As I looked back at where my patrol was it was gone and the creature leapt in to the sky ones more.

-After action report of  Sentients patrol 561-

-Survivors one of thirty combat units-

Endrian feel free to do with it what you want.

and keep up the good work love the concept 

Ha ha, I like where this is going.

If there is a dragon nikana, dragon keys to orokin treasure room so where a dragons? This warframe will solve all problems ^^

So said a Slavic Dragon...

Someone said that this would make quite a confusion... but I'm too lazy to search for this, we'll see when they implement this 'frame

Edited by Drejzer

DE, take note: dragonframe plz. I love the concept, and the idea of bridging the rediculusly vast gap vetween Valk and everthing armor-wise. perhaps DE could releice this and a tenno'd up Naginata? seems like a weapon that'd fit this fram's overall themes pretty well.

This is pretty badass, and while it seems to me as more of a combination of Ember and Zephyr, though i'm sure that i'm not the first to say that, I would plat buy this in an instant. I love the design, and to me, Zephyr was a huge disappointment when it came to flying, and this just seems really fun to play.

Keep up the good work, and here's hoping DE notices :)

While the Tenno slept in cryostasis ...

... they waited.

As the Grineer empire grew unchecked ...

... they hardened their bodies.

As the Corpus cult harvested Orokin settlements ...

... they sharpened their minds.

As the Infestation spread to every corner of the Sol system ...

... they honed their blades.

When the enemies of the Tenno finally tracked down the Lotus ...

... they found Dragons.

NEW AND IMPROVED! DRAGON 2.0

FEATURES

—Highly mobile, melee-focused tank/threat

—"Plasma" damage [Heat + Magnetic] (thanks for the idea, Evariskitsune)

—Skill-based (no more spamming 4 to win)

ORIGIN

Among the oldest of all Warframe designs, and the closest in design to their Orokin archetypes, the Dragons are few in number, but have been watching over the sleeping Tenno since the beginning of the Exile. Bound by Orokin decree to never enter the affairs of the Sol system unless absolutely necessary, most Dragons haven't seen action for decades, if not centuries; they are sworn to secrecy, bound to defend the mainframe that houses the Lotus AI. For countless years, they have been unseen sentinels, spending much of their time training or in meditation.

When the Corpus managed to track down the Lotus's signal during a botched mission (thanks, Darvo), the Dragons were finally forced to act.

Rough 'Dragon 2.0' Art Concept 

k3Piucr.png

Alternate Helmet 'Zirnitra' Rough Concept ↓

u8hJud0.png

Kubrow 'Drake' Alternate Skin Concept 

sAfliJn.png

Old Art Concepts 

SKmShgG.png

Modified (Old) Warframe Design with Visible Back (Also, Potential Boss?) 

TkMCxiV.png

BASELINE STATS

HEALTH: 100 (300 max)

POWER: 100 (150 max)

ARMOR: 400

SHIELD CAPACITY: 120 (360 max)

STAMINA: 120

SPRINT SPEED: 1.05

POLARITIES: 4x= 1xD 1xV

AURA POLARITY: V (ideal for Steel Charge or Rifle Amp)

Dragon is a beast of endurance; reliant on his abilities and his high mobility, he lacks the higher shield capacity of Frost and Rhino (the traditional tanks) and their explosive high-damage ultimates. Instead, he draws the eye of all enemies, taking all their fury and wrath, and then he shows them what wrath truly is.

ABILITIES

WINGED LANCER *TWEAKED 5/24/2014*

Energy: 25 Description: Dragon spreads his wings and storms through the air in the direction of your crosshair. After a long, high-speed "air dash" or upon pressing the ability key a second time (whichever comes first), flight ends and Dragon's plasma jets release a supercharged burst of plasma damage*, knocking over enemies nearby. Leveling up the skill increases the duration of flight and the AOE damage. Affected by Power StrengthPower Duration, and Power Range.

(Old) Visual Concept 

tvMlMdK.png

BERSERKER

Energy: 35 Description: For a duration of 10/15/20/25 seconds, Dragon's health and shields continuously regenerate (even while taking damage) and Dragon's fire rate (melee and ranged) is increased. While in this state, Dragon cannot be staggered or knocked down. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

Visual Concept 

gi5yMZA.png

CHALLENGE

Energy: 75 Description: For a duration of 15/21/27/34 seconds, Dragon issues a challenge to all enemies within range (continuous AOE taunt). When an enemy damages Dragon's shield, his Armor increases. When an enemy damages Dragon's health, his damage increases. Maximum increase are based on ability rank:

—Rank 0: 1.5x Armor, 1.3x Damage

—Rank 1: 2x Armor, 1.5x Damage

—Rank 2: 3x Armor, 1.7x

Rank 3: 4x Armor, 2x Damage

Affected by Power Strength (multiplier increase), Power Duration, and Power Range.

RISING DRAGON (Ultimate) *UPDATED 5/18/2014*

Energy: 25 (+4/sec) Description: Dragon launches into the air via plasma jets, dealing AOE plasma damage* to all enemies around him, and takes flight. Dragon has increased speed and free movement while in flight. While Rising Dragon is active, Dragon is engulfed by a plasma aura, dealing low continuous plasma damage* to enemies nearby; however, Dragon's energy constantly drains. When Dragon runs out of energy, Rising Dragon ends. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

Plasma Damage: Plasma is not meant to be a new elemental type. Instead, it would just be 50% Heat damage, and 50% Magnetic damage (or whatever DE deems to be an appropriate combination).

Visual Concept 

TC9Mjw0.png

Tell me what you think!

God please let this happen, i need this frame soooo bad!!!

God please let this happen, i need this frame soooo bad!!!

I never get why people quote the entire OP when they post. Especially when the OPs several paragraphs long.

Awesome concept though.

Edited by Annon5150

I never get why people quote the entire OP when they post. Especially when the OPs several paragraphs long.

Awesome concept though.

I see it as just a way for someone to show they like everything about it, and not just the art.

But, yeah, it is a bit long to just say "I like this," hahaha.

Edited by Endrian

Well this concept is quite cool but, when I see the word dragon, I think of high damage and speed since dragon can fly. So probably instead of tank, make him an attacker since warframe already have 2 tankers.

One and it's not a very good tank past a certain point. Could call Trinity a tank but it's a Healer first and foremost.

Love the concept, though not sure whether the speed + armor balances out.