Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Warframe Concept: The Dragon [2.0] — Final Update 2/09/2015

Endrian

Does a lot at once, stats are a bit high with that considered, but they're not really special.

Suggestions:

-No prolonged damaging AoE. "Plasma Breath" with a fireball instead of a stream. Plasma

-Higher chance of fire status.

-Debuffs for offense and defense.

-"Dragonskin" regenerates health, not shields.

-Lower endurance, slower normal walking speed, faster sprint speed. (Think of a dragon stomping around then taking flight)

-For "Ring of Death", maintain the same outgoing-damage rules for players and enemies.

Alternate plasma jetpack:

AoE explosion directly behind the player while being propelled forward away from it.

"Okay I'm gonna GTFO but here's a present."

1. Fireballs are generally ranged attacks, whereas Dragon is more about getting up in your face and then melting it off with a focused, short-range burst of plasma. (Dragons are known for breathing streams and cones of fire, not spitting fireballs, as far as I remember. :) )

2. It shouldn't be so high that Ember users would say, "Why is this guy getting as good a chance as our powers to catch things on fire? He's a warrior type, not a mage type!" But I'm fine with it being a pretty good chance to cause fire-catching.

3. I need clarification on what you mean by "debuffs for offense and defense." Are you saying the plasma needs to do that? Or Dragon himself needs stat debuffs there? If you mean the former, I think it would be too overpowered if it also reduced offenses along with defenses. If you mean the latter, yeah, maybe. I could probably live with dropping power to 125. Armor should stay at 100-150, though, just to represent the natural toughness of a dragon, like Rhino's 150 armor.

4. Regenerating health is fine in theory, but that's only useful when all your shields are gone. The shields are the "skin" (or the scale, perhaps) referred to by the power, in my mind. Then again, it would be nice to have an actual health-healing power, which so many warframes lack.

5. Slower normal walking speed and faster sprint speed? Is he like a cheetah saving up energy? I dunno about this. Also, I don't see why he'd need lower endurance (I assume you mean sprint stamina); do most warframes have differing amounts of stamina? I thought they all had the same pool, since the Wiki doesn't refer to differing amounts.

6. Then what's the point of even standing in the ring for players? It's meant to be like a ring of challenge, where Dragon could duel with a boss enemy 1v1 (to Dragon's advantage, of course), like heroic knights vs dragons in medieval fantasy. It invites the enemy to enter the ring to fight you, but they can still shoot at you from afar; unlike Frost's Snowglobe, which pretty much forces them to enter the globe to attack you since they can do nothing to you at range through its impenetrable shield. [Maybe I should rename it...]

As for the plasma jetpack dealing damage at the point of takeoff rather than where flight ends: that turns this from a jump-into-battle mechanic into an implied escape mechanic. The image it's supposed to evoke is a dragon of old flying over his opponents and strafing them with fire breath before jumping into the fray and slashing away with its claws. I guess it depends on what people want. :)

1. Fireballs are generally ranged attacks, whereas Dragon is more about getting up in your face and then melting it off with a focused, short-range burst of plasma. (Dragons are known for breathing streams and cones of fire, not spitting fireballs, as far as I remember. :) )

2. It shouldn't be so high that Ember users would say, "Why is this guy getting as good a chance as our powers to catch things on fire? He's a warrior type, not a mage type!" But I'm fine with it being a pretty good chance to cause fire-catching.

3. I need clarification on what you mean by "debuffs for offense and defense." Are you saying the plasma needs to do that? Or Dragon himself needs stat debuffs there? If you mean the former, I think it would be too overpowered if it also reduced offenses along with defenses. If you mean the latter, yeah, maybe. I could probably live with dropping power to 125. Armor should stay at 100-150, though, just to represent the natural toughness of a dragon, like Rhino's 150 armor.

4. Regenerating health is fine in theory, but that's only useful when all your shields are gone. The shields are the "skin" (or the scale, perhaps) referred to by the power, in my mind. Then again, it would be nice to have an actual health-healing power, which so many warframes lack.

5. Slower normal walking speed and faster sprint speed? Is he like a cheetah saving up energy? I dunno about this. Also, I don't see why he'd need lower endurance (I assume you mean sprint stamina); do most warframes have differing amounts of stamina? I thought they all had the same pool, since the Wiki doesn't refer to differing amounts.

6. Then what's the point of even standing in the ring for players? It's meant to be like a ring of challenge, where Dragon could duel with a boss enemy 1v1 (to Dragon's advantage, of course), like heroic knights vs dragons in medieval fantasy. It invites the enemy to enter the ring to fight you, but they can still shoot at you from afar; unlike Frost's Snowglobe, which pretty much forces them to enter the globe to attack you since they can do nothing to you at range through its impenetrable shield. [Maybe I should rename it...]

As for the plasma jetpack dealing damage at the point of takeoff rather than where flight ends: that turns this from a jump-into-battle mechanic into an implied escape mechanic. The image it's supposed to evoke is a dragon of old flying over his opponents and strafing them with fire breath before jumping into the fray and slashing away with its claws. I guess it depends on what people want. :)

@mypostquote: All of my wot!? My edits didn't save... Fixed now.

1. Dragons aren't known for either thing specifically, there's countless variations and none are more credible than all others, as it's fiction.

My point in substituting fireballs is that enabling logical usage of a sustained directional effect has so many more factors.

Would the player be able to swing it around like a lawn hose, only strafe, or stand still until the breath ends or is interrupted?

How rapidly would it make contact, or would it paint targets inside the hit zone?

3. The plasma in this context would reasonably damage weapons as well as armor of similar origin.

4. Basically the idea is to temporarily turn Health into a last-line-of-defense shield which doesn't involve a recharge cooldown.

The player would effectively gain a buffer which is only broken by damage concentrated in a short time frame,

such as being hit by multiple heavy attacks simultaneously.

As their shield isn't affected, the most effective time to activate the ability would be when expecting shield to be depleted.

It would also work as a full self-heal at any time, ideally while using a max-health increasing mod.

5. I was thinking of "Stamina", sorry. The Storm Volt Helmet includes a penalty to it, indicating it's not a necessarily shared stat.

My idea was to weigh down this frame's casual pace while allowing it to demonstrate bursts of unmatched mobility to overcome many obstacles more easily than with other frames. I think it would fit well with the jetpack/wings theme.

6. I meant not altering damage outgoing from players/enemies, meaning the damage they output, before it hits.

So following the rest of your idea, players standing in the zone would take less damage (incoming/recieved is modified), while enemies take more.

That simplifies deciding whether to use the ability for offense or defense.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, a ring of plasma having friend/foe recognition...

Edited by Denninja

@mypostquote: All of my wot!? My edits didn't save... Fixed now.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, a ring of plasma having friend/foe recognition...

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a ring of plasma. That's more for visual effect. It could actually be a technological device set in the center, that emits that globe of plasma-looking effect, and recognizes friendly/hostile forces and so affects attacks and hinders defenses in varying ways.

Neat concept but simply far overpowered. Why would you use any other warframe if you had this?

That being said, keep the concepts and art coming, it's great to see something like this!

Well, it certainly doesn't do stealth and it doesn't have any kind of advantage against Corpus.

Edited by Endrian

Well, it certainly doesn't do stealth and it doesn't have any kind of advantage against Corpus.

Well it certainly could be, considering you can just equip Shade with Ghost upgraded and a Paris even though the frame doesn't by default have innate stealth abilities.

Edit: Although to Furyoushounen's comment, were this to be implemented I'm sure the devs would figure out how to balance it appropriately, these are concepts here of course.

Edited by Andaeros

I like this concept! And yes I'm confident that the devs would figure out how to balance and work it all out; with how much support this concept has gotten I wouldn't be surprised if a future warframe were not at least partially inspired by it (see livestream 4; though like they said in livestream 4, its... possible... they might just take it as is if polished enough and 'fits just right'..)

...Why is his junk highlighted... and it feels like his gonn pelvic thrust into someones skull?

LOL

I must say amazing work you're doing man. I realy do appreciate what you're doing and I would totally pay and play that kind of Warframe you designed.

Mynky must see this!!

Edited by Sophax

3vg5y.jpg

Starting to look more like some kind of Tenno boss.

Also, the name "Demon" is starting to sound like it might work too.

Man, this must be added and become a real warframe :3

Hes wonderful

im not a fan of adding fantasy stuff like dragons to sci fy like warframe, but HELL, THIS WARFRAME LOOKS SO F**** BADASS.

Would totally love to see this one in game. Especially with your alternate helmet and the six eyes :3

Awesome job mate

It can work if the dragon theme is converted to more sci-fi in design like the MK II warframe concept on this thread. It becomes less Fantasy at that point the less muscular it looks.

In regards to the potential OPness on a frame like this (high-tank + High-Damage) when drawbacks I assume are (No stealth - Low Speed) it becomes something innately like Rhino unless the abilities are shifted very much towards damage while sacrificing movement, utility and tankyness compared to other frames. I alread read Dragon Sacrifices range, I would assume minuse maybe a long-range ability (psuedo-breath)

Frost is tanky, with utillity+damage

Rhino is tanky, with beffyness

Dragon I would assume is tanky but is almost pure-damage.

- The issue is that it could steamroll with Armor-Pierce Damage and Sprint Mods leveled up

Great concept love the idea but may need some balance tweaks. The art is coming along quite well. I haven't played Warframe enough yet to really make offers to balance beyond what I "think" makes sense. I haven't even gotton of my Mag frame yet for the two I am workign on: Sayrin and Banshee/Trinity.