Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Endrian

A Warframe Concept: The Dragon [2.0] — Final Update 2/09/2015

While the Tenno slept in cryostasis ...

... they waited.

As the Grineer empire grew unchecked ...

... they hardened their bodies.

As the Corpus cult harvested Orokin settlements ...

... they sharpened their minds.

As the Infestation spread to every corner of the Sol system ...

... they honed their blades.

When the enemies of the Tenno finally tracked down the Lotus ...

... they found Dragons.

NEW AND IMPROVED! DRAGON 2.0

FEATURES

—Highly mobile, melee-focused tank/threat

—"Plasma" damage [Heat + Magnetic] (thanks for the idea, Evariskitsune)

—Skill-based (no more spamming 4 to win)

ORIGIN

Among the oldest of all Warframe designs, and the closest in design to their Orokin archetypes, the Dragons are few in number, but have been watching over the sleeping Tenno since the beginning of the Exile. Bound by Orokin decree to never enter the affairs of the Sol system unless absolutely necessary, most Dragons haven't seen action for decades, if not centuries; they are sworn to secrecy, bound to defend the mainframe that houses the Lotus AI. For countless years, they have been unseen sentinels, spending much of their time training or in meditation.

When the Corpus managed to track down the Lotus's signal during a botched mission (thanks, Darvo), the Dragons were finally forced to act.

Rough 'Dragon 2.0' Art Concept 

k3Piucr.png

Alternate Helmet 'Zirnitra' Rough Concept ↓

u8hJud0.png

Kubrow 'Drake' Alternate Skin Concept 

sAfliJn.png

Old Art Concepts 

SKmShgG.png

Modified (Old) Warframe Design with Visible Back (Also, Potential Boss?) 

TkMCxiV.png

BASELINE STATS

HEALTH: 100 (300 max)

POWER: 100 (150 max)

ARMOR: 400

SHIELD CAPACITY: 120 (360 max)

STAMINA: 120

SPRINT SPEED: 1.05

POLARITIES: 4x= 1xD 1xV

AURA POLARITY: V (ideal for Steel Charge or Rifle Amp)

Dragon is a beast of endurance; reliant on his abilities and his high mobility, he lacks the higher shield capacity of Frost and Rhino (the traditional tanks) and their explosive high-damage ultimates. Instead, he draws the eye of all enemies, taking all their fury and wrath, and then he shows them what wrath truly is.

ABILITIES

WINGED LANCER *TWEAKED 5/24/2014*

Energy: 25 Description: Dragon spreads his wings and storms through the air in the direction of your crosshair. After a long, high-speed "air dash" or upon pressing the ability key a second time (whichever comes first), flight ends and Dragon's plasma jets release a supercharged burst of plasma damage*, knocking over enemies nearby. Leveling up the skill increases the duration of flight and the AOE damage. Affected by Power StrengthPower Duration, and Power Range.

(Old) Visual Concept 

tvMlMdK.png

BERSERKER

Energy: 35 Description: For a duration of 10/15/20/25 seconds, Dragon's health and shields continuously regenerate (even while taking damage) and Dragon's fire rate (melee and ranged) is increased. While in this state, Dragon cannot be staggered or knocked down. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

Visual Concept 

gi5yMZA.png

CHALLENGE

Energy: 75 Description: For a duration of 15/21/27/34 seconds, Dragon issues a challenge to all enemies within range (continuous AOE taunt). When an enemy damages Dragon's shield, his Armor increases. When an enemy damages Dragon's health, his damage increases. Maximum increase are based on ability rank:

—Rank 0: 1.5x Armor, 1.3x Damage

—Rank 1: 2x Armor, 1.5x Damage

—Rank 2: 3x Armor, 1.7x

Rank 3: 4x Armor, 2x Damage

Affected by Power Strength (multiplier increase), Power Duration, and Power Range.

RISING DRAGON (Ultimate) *UPDATED 5/18/2014*

Energy: 25 (+4/sec) Description: Dragon launches into the air via plasma jets, dealing AOE plasma damage* to all enemies around him, and takes flight. Dragon has increased speed and free movement while in flight. While Rising Dragon is active, Dragon is engulfed by a plasma aura, dealing low continuous plasma damage* to enemies nearby; however, Dragon's energy constantly drains. When Dragon runs out of energy, Rising Dragon ends. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

Plasma Damage: Plasma is not meant to be a new elemental type. Instead, it would just be 50% Heat damage, and 50% Magnetic damage (or whatever DE deems to be an appropriate combination).

Visual Concept 

TC9Mjw0.png

Tell me what you think!

When i look at your work..theres a sense of awe that awakens in me. Lol but in all seriousness this is such a cool concept and the frame itself is even cooler..i like dragons just as much as you..theres something about them..maybe how everytime you see one or face one in games or even when you're one..theres a sense of power and respect. I can definitely see this in game..probably be my main frame. Have you contacted a DE about your concept?

Yes, I understand You perfectly. And it would be my main frame(now occupied by Ash), had this been released. Until then, I shall wait.

Too many dots, and there was no need to quote whole OP.

how bout name maybe Dracon?

and one of the powers (mainly last cause i thought of a dragon one and this was my last power)

?)Oblivion- Summons a group of dragons to bring oblivion and darkness to enemies

That ability might be a little bit demanding of the artists. And maybe a little too fantasy. As for the name... I dunno, if you're only going to change one letter, why change it at all? To me, it should either be Dragon or Drake, if you want to keep it general (like Rhino and Hydroid) or you can go specific and name it after a particular mythical dragon, like Fafnir or Bahamut (like Loki and Oberon).

I wish there was some way to make sure this would be brought to the attention of DE, because this is a really good idea, and we really could use another true tank frame.

Just gotta keep this thread going as much as possible, Ive already contributed some Dragon Warframe Fan Art so to me that's a start on my end.

I just cant describe how much I love this concept. I based mine on yours but totally different of course.

I was thinking if we could do this together xD Like Dragons and Wyverns being guardians of stuffs.

By the way I love your concept

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

my concept is down here if you wanna take a look xD

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/214425-warframe-concept-wyvern-20-updated-06-01-2014/ 

Dragon Swag. Nuff said. Well that and, WHERE THE F*** IS THE MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURE FRENZY?!? I WANT WEREWOLVES AND DRAGONS AND SIRENS AND DEMONS!!! WHERE ARE THEY?!?!

Dragon Swag. Nuff said. Well that and, WHERE THE F*** IS THE MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURE FRENZY?!? I WANT WEREWOLVES AND DRAGONS AND SIRENS AND DEMONS!!! WHERE ARE THEY?!?!

AMEN brother! Have been wondering that my self for some time... XD Also this desined could be a awesome skin/upgrade for any normal warframe.

I can see it now...Upgrade your existing Warframe to DRAGON (you know like the Nikata is upgrade to Dragon Nikata?) and unlock its full potential...etc...! LOL

@up

nah, I'd prefer to have Dragon as a standalone Prime than Him being an upgrade...

Wow, I don't check in for a couple months, and the thread practically doubles in size and evolves so much... Awesome.

-I absolutely love all the new art, with the exception that I think the physical wings on his back in the Dragon 2.0 drawing do add a little too much bulk and obstruction (PoV is over-shoulder, Having those wings coming out would likely be a problem). I stand with the idea of littler nubs, with spectral/firey/jet wings that come out when he uses his flying abilities (or, in the case of spectral version, could even unfurl when he uses any of his powers, even when he stays on the ground). I also like the idea of his own syandana, like theyve been doing. A tail would be sweet, they just need stiffer physics than current syandanas...

-I still am married to the idea of Winged Lancer being that quick directional dash with an AoE burst at the endpoint, possibly with some stagger. I also love Berserker, it's a great and so far unique survival technique that isn't OP but neither is it too weak if implemented right; though I dont know about the name and visual (as good as the art is). Visually, I dont think its "mouth" should open, as there needs to be a head under there (or at least maintain the idea of one being under there). The extra shine also needs to be differentiated from when he melee channels, but that should be a simple thing DE can figure out WHEN (<.< >.>) they implement it, but I like the idea of his armor smoking and glowing while it's active. Challenge... is unique, though I can't decide if I like it or not. As far as ultimates go, flight is awesome, but may be too much for DE to handle, but would be good to see if then can make it work. Zephyr does have that innate float capability, which does give her much more control in the skies than other frames, but with dive bomb it's intended for her to get into position and make a swift decent. Rising Dragon should do good Aoe and damage when it takes off, maybe knockdown/back, to be worthy of being an ultimate. The small/weak aoe is more just icing on the cake, but the flight is more a mobility- and LoS-enhancing thing, which alone wouldnt be worthy of an ultimate imo. So all together it sounds great.

-His stats sound pretty good, not too powerful imo. his stamina is less than valkyr and hydroid's, but still greater than most (as it should be for a tireless dragon). Shields are only slightly higher than average, and coupled with higher armor than most accounts for his tankyness without having the same stats as rhino and frost. His speed of 1.05 is barely any better than average, lots have higher. Loki and nova are 1.2, nyx and necros at 1.1, etc. I think the speed does fit, though if one of these must be nerfed for balance, speed down to normal (or like .975) would be easier to take than others.

-I also think they really should implement a polearm stance for single-ended pole-arms, and add a Tenno Naginata, or a glaive-guisarme, something like that. Also like the double spear displayed in several of the concepts, it's awesome. 

-I agree that the "plasma" utilized in his abilities should be 50% fire and either 50% magnetic or 50% corrosive. However, I also like that one idea that it can be any element that is on your melee weapon (or something like that), so you can change it to reflect your needs and the varied nature of dragons. And how about plasma as base element if you have no elements currently on your weapon? As pointed out, Zephyr's tornadoes have a similar system

-One more Thing for people to consider when thinking about balance is that his abilities are short-ranged, which is a drawback to take into account. 

I also came up with the idea for a name: Drayke. ( like drake, but spelled differently). Saryn was named after the serin toxin (and Nyx--nix), so you can play with the lettering to keep the sounds.

@up

nah, I'd prefer to have Dragon as a standalone Prime than Him being an upgrade...

Yeah I agree on the Prime. Stick with the traditional sense as with Frost, Rhino, Ember, Mag, and Excalibur Prime.

Mmmmmm Dragon Prime. Only one can dream.

I don't think he should use jets in his attacks... They feel too fighter jet, plane-like (or at least that what it makes me think of). He should also have plasma coming from his mouth to relate more to a dragon. In addition, there are a few changes that could be made to Winged Lancer and Rising Dragon.

For Winged Lancer, Instead of jets, give him his wings back, but made of plasma. So he has plasma wings. This would also relate to WINGED lancer, not jet lancer. He would dash forward like excalibur (with its own animation) and at the end (or when stopped) would do a 360 AOE swing with his melee weapon. The swing could take into account the melee weapons range (+reach mod on melee weapon). While doing the 360 swing, instead of plasma coming from his gauntlets/jets, they would come from his mouth. So you would have him dash (doing dmg while dashing like excalibur) and when stopped, 360 spin attack with melee and plasma breath. The dmg done from the 2 attacks could be balanced very easily.

For his Ultimate I think it should involve a bit more skill. As of right now it seems like its a dmging aura that u can fly with. INstead i think this would be more appropriate:

Again, instead of jets, give him plasma wings as this would make his more "dragon-like". He deploys his plasma wings (doing AoE plasma dmg) and flies into the air with his wings and moves like you would on the ground (without the walking/running animations, replaced with flying) aka the free movement you mentioned. The ability is also toggleable like u said/wanted as well. He equips his melee weapon and can do combos and stuff. You can fly faster by using the sprint button which would use up stamina, and u can slide kick in the air (adding a bit of martial art type stuff), if this uses stamina to do this while on the ground and in the air, slide kicking would use up stamina as well. In addition to using melee, you can breath/shoot plasma balls/bolts or plasma breath (preferably balls or bolts since you already have melee for close range and breath would be close range as well, balls/bolts give you a long distance attack). Maybe they would be AoE when they reach their target destination? You would fire them like you do your gun (left mouse button (default)). The plasma balls would have travel time like the lanka and wouldnt be hit scan. Having the plasma balls have travel time adds a skill curve that some/most frames dont have because you have to account for target movement and such. Yes, i know that since the plasma balls would take away energy channeling and i am trying to figure out a way to have that as well. You wouldnt have ADS for the plasma balls since you would have blocking on the right mouse button (default). IF the balls do AoE dmg apon reaching the target having an ADS wouldnt really be necessary, and most people i see dont use channeling that much, so those to things may not even be needed. However, im still trying to think of a way to have these things in there so that nothing is taken away.

To sum everything up;

Winged Lancer: same concept just more added to it and some changes.

Rising Dragon: same concept just more added to it and some changes.

Adding wings instead of jets would make the frame much more inline with the "dragon" arch-type. However, if you REALLY want to have jets in there, you could compromise and have the plasma wings come from the jets.

Anyway this is just some more feedback from me to make this the best frame ever. Sorry if its a bit confusing. If you have any questions about what i mean just quote this and ask. Hope you like my ideas Endrian:D

This would certainly increase the skill it takes to play dragon. Even going as far as making it even more DRAGON like. Plasma Wings is a much better choice than jets (just me though). Completely agree with what you say.

Nice.

And I meant that I would prefer Dragon to be Prime standalone than him (Dragon) to be an upgrade to some other warframe.

This is one of his early work that I really like! Got that Excalibur Physique. The Rhino like bulk is nice and all, I just perfer this look. Keep the details and design and powers including armor decals, just bulk him down to Excfalibur's level like I did in my Fan Art. But its your call Endrian. Just helping out on this thread as best as I can.

51GE9Ws.png

Buuuump. this should not be leaving the first page. The DE must see and create this! Also i got thinking, on the whole fire breath/fire based original idea, what about radiation? its already in the game, and could give him a badass feel to him, a radiation themed warframe. closest to that is saryn with poison.

I wonder if he took my advice about trying to contact someone from DE, like Megan or Rebecca. (We're in the same clan alliance.)

This, is my most favorite concept I have ever seen, he's not in the game and I can easily say he's my favorite. I think he fits perfectly in his style of combat vs Rhino and Frost although, I really must say I had a second Idea for his ultimate not that I don't like the one he has, I just like my thoughts :), but it would be fantastic if he could sacrifice all his power to change/morph into something closer to an original dragon and gain a secondary skill set like, fly, plasma stream, and just cataclysm carnage/fear for a time and just wreck things like all dragons would. Just a dream :D