Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Warframe Concept: The Dragon [2.0] — Final Update 2/09/2015

Endrian

This is really interesting to observe. The positive and negative reception to this all, but mostly the negative reception says one thing about our taste. We have a -very- specific image of what constitutes a dragon, and what doesn't. Might not look that way, but reception sort of stands in favor of this logic.

I proposed an idea once for a dragon themed something, and it was also equally panned for 'not being dragon' or rather it was distracting x person was calling y thing a 'dragon'.

Congrats on the success in any case though. :o

(Oh and for the sake of the dragon argument) This might help a little.

https://youtu.be/eqz53d-fYL8

Edited by Katuro117

• 2 weeks later...

DOVAKHIN!!! ITS YOU!!!

1 skill FUS RO DAH!! and nothing more ))

for topics,nice art,but this is not warfarme.

You know? Bio mechanical squits.In you case its some like a demon or chitin warior

The Warframe designs are organic as well; this seems to fit right in! ^ - ^

• 4 weeks later...

WHY WOULD YOU SCRAP THAT ONE FOR CHROMA?!?!?!?! I got so excited hearing that there was going to be a dragon warframe so I set out to google and found this. The design made me actually start playing again so I would have all the requirements to get it. Yet, I was disappointed when I saw the appearance of chroma. You really need to make this a separate warframe or a whole new skin for chroma because the appearance of chroma makes me want to puke in comparison to this. Also, I was reading below about some people opinions on how it would be too medieval, WE HAVE A WARFRAME CALLED EXCALIBUR. Like, seriously? A dragon is too medieval when they have been in plenty of space movies and post-apocalyptic movies when the Excalibur sword is only mentioned in few movies which 99.99999% are knight movies?

I was just wanting to express my disappointment. I really wish you'd make one with that exact design above, named like Drake or Draco or something. Although I am going to have to get chroma anyway on principal.

"AHH! A dragon frame! I wonder if that one guy's concept help them come up with an awesome design....WTF is this S#&$! SOme kind of Anteater. To hell with this."

That was my reaction to when I first saw the hype. Then I saw Chroma and was immediately turned off by the fact he looks nothing like an Dragon.

I love Dragons. It's part of my bloodline. My religion. My Heritage was founded on Dragons. Dragons are an amazing creature of existence. Their power! Their knowledge!

They are beings of Art, Style and Destruction!

SO I can't help feel utterly disappointed with what DE labeled as a "Dragon" Frame.

I AGREE WITH EVERY SINGLE THING YOU JUST SAID. Like seriously, he scrapped the original design (which looked like a dragon even came with free small wings and you could buy bigger ones) for this chroma thing???

FINAL UPDATE (2/09/2015)As of

moment:

A Dragon is coming; whether it's tied to my original concept or not doesn't matter. Importantly, it sounds like it's going to be unique among all other warframes in that its type of damage is based on energy color (tied to the idea of D&D chromatic dragons having different elemental breath weapons, as Rebecca mentions), which opens up a whole host of possibilities!

Rejoice!

THERE BE DRAGONS!

While the Tenno slept in cryostasis ...
... they waited.

As the Grineer empire grew unchecked ...
... they hardened their bodies.

As the Corpus cult harvested Orokin settlements ...
... they sharpened their minds.

As the Infestation spread to every corner of the Sol system ...
... they honed their blades.

When the enemies of the Tenno finally tracked down the Lotus ...

... they found Dragons.

NEW AND IMPROVED! DRAGON 2.0

FEATURES

—Highly mobile, melee-focused tank/threat

—"Plasma" damage [Heat + Magnetic] (thanks for the idea, Evariskitsune)

—Skill-based (no more spamming 4 to win)

ORIGIN

Among the oldest of all Warframe designs, and the closest in design to their Orokin archetypes, the Dragons are few in number, but have been watching over the sleeping Tenno since the beginning of the Exile. Bound by Orokin decree to never enter the affairs of the Sol system unless absolutely necessary, most Dragons haven't seen action for decades, if not centuries; they are sworn to secrecy, bound to defend the mainframe that houses the Lotus AI. For countless years, they have been unseen sentinels, spending much of their time training or in meditation.

When the Corpus managed to track down the Lotus's signal during a botched mission (thanks, Darvo), the Dragons were finally forced to act.

'Dragon 2.0' Art Concept 

1X0wW6s.png

Alternate Helmet 'Zirnitra' Rough Concept ↓

u8hJud0.png

Kubrow 'Drakar' Alternate Skin Concept 

sAfliJn.png

Old Art Concepts 

SKmShgG.png

Modified (Old) Warframe Design with Visible Back (Also, Potential Boss?) 

TkMCxiV.png

BASELINE STATS

HEALTH: 100 (300 max)

POWER: 100 (150 max)

ARMOR: 400

SHIELD CAPACITY: 120 (360 max)

STAMINA: 120

SPRINT SPEED: 1.05

POLARITIES: 4x= 1xD 1xV

AURA POLARITY: V (ideal for Steel Charge or Rifle Amp)

Dragon is a beast of endurance; reliant on his abilities and his high mobility, he lacks the higher shield capacity of Frost and Rhino (the traditional tanks) and their explosive high-damage ultimates. Instead, he draws the eye of all enemies, taking all their fury and wrath, and then he shows them what wrath truly is.

ABILITIES

TAKE WING *TWEAKED 6/16/2014*

Energy: 25 Description: Dragon spreads his wings and storms through the air in the direction of your crosshair. After a long, high-speed "air dash" or upon pressing the ability key a second time (whichever comes first), flight ends and Dragon's plasma jets release a supercharged burst of plasma damage*, knocking over enemies nearby. Leveling up the skill increases the duration of flight and the AOE damage. Affected by Power StrengthPower Duration, and Power Range.

(Old) Visual Concept 

tvMlMdK.png

INDOMITABLE *TWEAKED 6/16/2014*

Energy: 35 Description: For a duration of 10/15/20/25 seconds, Dragon's health and shields continuously regenerate (even while taking damage) and Dragon's fire rate (melee and ranged) is increased. While in this state, Dragon cannot be staggered or knocked down. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

Visual Concept 

gi5yMZA.png

CHALLENGE

Energy: 75 Description: For a duration of 15/21/27/34 seconds, Dragon issues a challenge to all enemies within range (continuous AOE taunt). When an enemy damages Dragon's shield, his Armor increases. When an enemy damages Dragon's health, his damage increases. Maximum increase are based on ability rank:

—Rank 0: 1.5x Armor, 1.3x Damage

—Rank 1: 2x Armor, 1.5x Damage

—Rank 2: 3x Armor, 1.7x

Rank 3: 4x Armor, 2x Damage

Affected by Power Strength (multiplier increase), Power Duration, and Power Range.

RISING DRAGON (Ultimate)
Energy: 25 (+4/sec) Description: Dragon launches into the air via plasma jets, dealing AOE plasma damage* to all enemies around him, and takes flight. Dragon has increased speed and free movement while in flight. While Rising Dragon is active, Dragon is engulfed by a plasma aura, dealing low continuous plasma damage* to enemies nearby; however, Dragon's energy constantly drains. When Dragon runs out of energy, Rising Dragon ends. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

* Plasma Damage: Plasma is not meant to be a new elemental type. Instead, it would just be 50% Heat damage, and 50% Magnetic damage (or whatever DE deems to be an appropriate combination).

Visual Concept 

TC9Mjw0.png

Seriouisly, this is badass and was highly disappointed to see that Chroma thing you tried to pawn off to us. Read my other comments or "Quote" to read just how disappointed my local fanbase and I are. The added Kubrow was an excellent idea!

Edited by (XB1)Malign DemonX23

@mypostquote: All of my wot!? My edits didn't save... Fixed now.

1. Dragons aren't known for either thing specifically, there's countless variations and none are more credible than all others, as it's fiction.

My point in substituting fireballs is that enabling logical usage of a sustained directional effect has so many more factors.

Would the player be able to swing it around like a lawn hose, only strafe, or stand still until the breath ends or is interrupted?

How rapidly would it make contact, or would it paint targets inside the hit zone?

3. The plasma in this context would reasonably damage weapons as well as armor of similar origin.

4. Basically the idea is to temporarily turn Health into a last-line-of-defense shield which doesn't involve a recharge cooldown.

The player would effectively gain a buffer which is only broken by damage concentrated in a short time frame,

such as being hit by multiple heavy attacks simultaneously.

As their shield isn't affected, the most effective time to activate the ability would be when expecting shield to be depleted.

It would also work as a full self-heal at any time, ideally while using a max-health increasing mod.

5. I was thinking of "Stamina", sorry. The Storm Volt Helmet includes a penalty to it, indicating it's not a necessarily shared stat.

My idea was to weigh down this frame's casual pace while allowing it to demonstrate bursts of unmatched mobility to overcome many obstacles more easily than with other frames. I think it would fit well with the jetpack/wings theme.

6. I meant not altering damage outgoing from players/enemies, meaning the damage they output, before it hits.

So following the rest of your idea, players standing in the zone would take less damage (incoming/recieved is modified), while enemies take more.

That simplifies deciding whether to use the ability for offense or defense.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, a ring of plasma having friend/foe recognition...

• 1 month later...

I thought chroma would be the Dragon warframe?

Now that, I'm thinking.. What is chroma?

(back to subject)

I'm actually looking forward to Dragon, he has the coolest appearence so far in warframe. I would really be into finding or achieving his parts for his blueprint.

10/10 : )

This is really interesting to observe. The positive and negative reception to this all, but mostly the negative reception says one thing about our taste. We have a -very- specific image of what constitutes a dragon, and what doesn't. Might not look that way, but reception sort of stands in favor of this logic.

I proposed an idea once for a dragon themed something, and it was also equally panned for 'not being dragon' or rather it was distracting x person was calling y thing a 'dragon'.

Congrats on the success in any case though. :o

(Oh and for the sake of the dragon argument) This might help a little.

https://youtu.be/eqz53d-fYL8

The problem isn't that Chroma "isn't a dragon".  He is, he's just based more off of the Chinese Dragons which were quite different from the dragons of other cultures like Europpean dragons.

The problem is that "this dragon" was the frame we wanted, and to hear that a "Dragon" was coming, we got super excited about the looks and abilities seen in this thread and were let down HARD.

It's not that Chroma is bad or useless, he's cool in his own way, but I'm still holding out hope that one day "this dragon" will get made.

Edited by Beas7ie

The problem isn't that Chroma "isn't a dragon".  He is, he's just based more off of the Chinese Dragons which were quite different from the dragons of other cultures like Europpean dragons.

The problem is that "this dragon" was the frame we wanted, and to hear that a "Dragon" was coming, we got super excited about the looks and abilities seen in this thread and were let down HARD.

It's not that Chroma is bad or useless, he's cook in his own way, but I'm still holding out hope that one day "this dragon" will get made.

Which part of chroma is based off an eastern Chinese dragon exactly? The alt helmet that looks like a seahorse?

Guess what, that helmet looks nothing like the head of a traditional eastern style dragon.

It's not that Chroma is bad or useless, he's cook in his own way, but I'm still holding out hope that one day "this dragon" will get made.

You're gonna be holding out for a looooooooooong time bud. For the rest of eternity, really. 

Which part of chroma is based off an eastern Chinese dragon exactly? The alt helmet that looks like a seahorse?

Guess what, that helmet looks nothing like the head of a traditional eastern style dragon.

He's based off a variety of dragons. He's got the wealth association with his Effigy's for eastern Chinese dragon, Vex Armor at least partially hints towards the legendary thick scales of the Western Dragon, even the DnD dragons with his general Chromatic theme, and his controversial Drac helmet has that obscure Greek Dragon. 

You're gonna be holding out for a looooooooooong time bud. For the rest of eternity, really. 

People can't let go of pipe dreams.
Edited by Morec0

He's based off a variety of dragons. He's got the wealth association with his Effigy's for eastern Chinese dragon, Vex Armor at least partially hints towards the legendary thick scales of the Western Dragon, even the DnD dragons with his general Chromatic theme, and his controversial Drac helmet has that obscure Greek Dragon. 

People can't let go of pipe dreams.

DE made Zephyr, they can make a proper Dragon.

DE made Zephyr, they can make a proper Dragon.

DE has NEVER made anything that's a 100% copy of Fan Concepts - the closest they got to making Zephyr like the original idea was the name, maybe slight tidbits of the helmet and the general wind theme. Try saying "they made Zephyr, they'll make this" around there and people will tell you the Zephyr from there is NOT the one we have.

And that's not your call - DE wants this to be their dragon, so this is their dragon. I like it, but until they get around to making the female version - which who knows when or even IF that'll happen - we're not going to see the theme revisited. Sorry.

Edited by Morec0

Why is this still going on when we got Chroma *nick name Dragon*? its an awesome consent it probably inspired Chroma a bit... but its done, there wont be another Dragon now that we have this.

Also DE takes the best of every concept posted and creates a New BETTER Lorewise content... so, um yeah this needs to be archive...I think.

Edited by 0zryel

Why is this still going on when we got Chroma *nick name Dragon*? its an awesome consent it probably inspired Chroma a bit... but its done, there wont be another Dragon now that we have this.

Also DE takes the best of every concept posted and creates a New BETTER Lorewise content... so, um yeah this needs to be archive...I think.

If by "better" you mean "pretty cool but not as good as the original idea" then yes DE made a "better" dragon.

Sorry, but Chroma isn't even close to this one so the topic should still stand until it gets made.

DE has NEVER made anything that's a 100% copy of Fan Concepts - the closest they got to making Zephyr like the original idea was the name, maybe slight tidbits of the helmet and the general wind theme. Try saying "they made Zephyr, they'll make this" around there and people will tell you the Zephyr from there is NOT the one we have.

And that's not your call - DE wants this to be their dragon, so this is their dragon. I like it, but until they get around to making the female version - which who knows when or even IF that'll happen - we're not going to see the theme revisited. Sorry.

DE made THEIR dragon, which while cool, still is outdone by this one, so THIS dragon still wasn't even close to being made. 

Also why would they need to make a female version?  They haven't done any genderswap versions of any frame ever, so why would they start now?

DE made THEIR dragon, which while cool, still is outdone by this one, so THIS dragon still wasn't even close to being made. 

Also why would they need to make a female version?  They haven't done any genderswap versions of any frame ever, so why would they start now?

I disagree. I've said it once, I'll say it again: visually, this is just a Rhino reskin. And that's boring.

Oh, and you MAY want to compare "THIS dragon's third ability to Vex Armor.

Genderswaps, no, but similar themes with the other gender?

Loki - Mirage - Limbo

So the female Chroma MAY come closer to the "real" dragon you're looking for - you now, the "been there, done that, seen it a 1000 times over" Tolkien dragon.

If any community moderators are around, I guess that means you can lock/archive or whatever this thread? Not sure what to do with it, now that Chroma has arrived and exceeded my personal expectations.

Looks like the OP has decided to close this thread down a while back. Going along with their wishes.

If you wish to reopen it, just let me know.