The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Damage Falloff On Imperator

Holeypaladin

I'm not sure why this weapon has a damage falloff... seems like an artificial attempt to limit its range.  If you want a different weapon to replace it in long range archwing combat, simply make the velocitus hitscan with sniper zoom... no reason to have damage falloff on imperator.

So I figure the damage falloff needs to be removed.  That's all.  It's not there's any air friction in space to slow the bullets down.

I'm not sure why this weapon has a damage falloff... seems like an artificial attempt to limit its range.  If you want a different weapon to replace it in long range archwing combat, simply make the velocitus hitscan with sniper zoom... no reason to have damage falloff on imperator.

So I figure the damage falloff needs to be removed.  That's all.  It's not there's any air friction in space to slow the bullets down.

there is space magic

This weapon is being fired in space. There is no reason it should have falloff. I can understand if it were in a setting where there'd be air resistance and all that, but it's in FARKING SPACE MAN.

There's no opposing forces that magically 'slow down' the rounds. Nothing. Not until it hits its target.

The reason arcwing weapons have damage falloff is to prevent too much resources from being utilized in the bullets I just wish that I could clearly tell what I could shoot at, because at extreme range it is hard to tell.

What does that even mean?  They have falloff so that you can't sit in one spot and wipe out everything in a 3000m radius.

You have an issue with that but not sound in space and space explosions?

This.

The reason that Imperator has falloff isn't that DE has zero understanding of physics, it's that gameplay balance is more important than realism. If Imperator had no falloff, its accuracy would have to be reduced / it would have to be projectile-based / it would have to have recoil to discourage infinite-range sniping.

If you want to snipe at long ranges, use the Velocitus. And by the way, that thing already hits like a truck while traveling ridiculously fast and having a fat hitbox; turning it into a hitscan weapon would make it just plain overpowered.

Edited by SortaRandom

No sound in space would be boring, and maybe archwings have sensors to make psuedosound by looking at their environments and synthesizing sounds to aid the pilot. 

Ok then tell me about gravitational pulls and floating bits of dead enemies not affecting bullets

Edited by Azawarau

Ok then tell me about gravitational pulls and floating bits of dead enemies not affecting bullets

You do realize that they would have the same gravitational effect on the bullets that they would on Earth, right? The chunks would have to have almost planetlike masses to have a significant effect on bullets in space.

You do realize that they would have the same gravitational effect on the bullets that they would on Earth, right? The chunks would have to have almost planetlike masses to have a significant effect on bullets in space.

Kind of like a fomarian?

chunks of dead enemies would slow if not redirect shots entirely

The point is its a game balance thing so logic steps to the side

No.  Not like a fomorian.

Fomorians may mass in the thousands of tons.  Maybe even millions of tons.

Planets mass in the sextillions of tons.  It would take a quadrillion fomorians to mass the same as Earth.  So the gravitation force of a fomorian is less than one millionth that of Earth.

Summary: There is essentially no gravity to slow or redirect shots in any way in archwing combat.

Planets mass in the sextillions of tons.  It would take a quadrillion fomorians to mass the same as Earth.  So the gravitation force of a fomorian is less than one millionth that of Earth.

Summary: There is essentially no gravity to slow or redirect shots in any way in archwing combat.

Interesting

Now lets say the fomarian has a synthetic gravitational pull around it

Explosions can be explained by ignition of the remaining fuel and/or oxygen in the enemy vessel. Fuel for space vessels already contains the neccessary oxygen for it to burn.

Sound would be transmitted through the vibrations. So you could indeed hear your weapon fire or your archwing accelerating. You wouldn't hear the explosions of enemies though. But that is pretty small detail.

But that is beside the point really. I don't think there are sufficient balancing reasons in the game itself to warrant damage falloff on Imperator. If anything, you should be rewarded for being able to hit enemies so far, not punished.

It's not a big deal, but it feels pointless. If the concern was that Imperator made better sniping weapon than Velocitus... well, I feel that's the problem with Velocitus, not Imperator.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I can go to an outpost world, and use a regular ole Braton, and shoot something 1000m away in the largest outdoor "rooms". (I've actually done this, with the ridiculous range and low recoil that Bratons have).

No Damage Falloff.

I go out IN SPACE! and grab my Imperator (which is surely much higher calibre than the Braton!)... another ballistic machinegun type weapon, shoot something 1000m away and it laughs at my puny damage after the falloff.

Logic......

There is none.

EDIT: Relevant Link:

Edited by Xylia

Holeypaladin, on 30 Dec 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Hell, Earth is technically far too small to have the gravity that it has. It's only as high as it is because of its extremely dense metallic core.