Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A short piece of fanfiction I wrote.

Sanjiyan

Hi guys. I just started playing this a few days ago and I have to say, I'm really loving the aesthetic of the setting, particularly the Tenno: It might not be exactly what you intended, but to me at least they really come off as this enigmatic, almost mythological race of terrifying, inscrutable killing machines, suddenly making a resurgence in a corrupt solar system that long ago forgot about the biomechanical demigods slumbering amid the stars. Not quite evil, but it's hard to describe anything quite so genocidal as a Tenno as 'good'.

In any case, I liked the idea of the Tenno being something more (or at least other) than human; something strange and unknowable. I liked it so much that on a whim I decided to write a bit of fanfiction for them! It probably doesn't match up perfectly to the actual lore, but I enjoyed writing it all the same. I'm also pretty out of practice when it comes to writing, but still: I hope you enjoy it!

"Squad D, why aren't you at your post?" The Corpus comms officer leaned in over the desk to reach the microphone. Why did they have to design the blasted things to be so far away? Had they never heard of ergonomics? "Squad D, your drones have gone dark. Confirm status? Do you require engineering support?"

Static. Silence. He sighed in frustration and switched to another channel.

"Squad F, Squad D has stopped responding. Please check in and see if they've got another busted transmitter. Confirm copy."

Yet more silence. Feeling slightly unnerved but not quite knowing why, the comms officer switched channels again. "Squad B, can you guys-"

"He's too fast!" A familiar voice suddenly blared into the comm officer's ear, making him jump almost out of his seat at the sudden noise. It was the squad leader

"Wait, what? Who's too fast? Squad B, confirm status!" He stammered. The response turned his veins to ice.

"Tenno!" The squad leader gasped, audibly terrified almost to the point of hyperventilating. "Tenno, Tenno, Tenno!" In the background, the comm officer overheard a sudden spray of gunfire, followed by the distressed shriek of a MOA reporting critical damage. His legs went weak and he collapsed backwards into his chair.

Tenno.

Tenno on board the ship.

He had never honestly believed they were truly real; a race of wordless, nigh-invincible killing machines lurking among the stars, able to infiltrate the most secure warship unnoticed before exploding into action in an orgy of blood and violence - a race of warriors so skilled they preferred to bring a damned sword into battle than use a gun? It was ridiculous. Impossible. It was the kind of myth Grineer marines made up to pass the time on long, boring patrols... And it was really happening.

"My arm! He cut off my arm! Oh god, help me! Hel-" The squad leader's anguished scream, abruptly silenced, snapped him back to reality. If the Tenno were really on board, he had to do something, had to warn someone... His trembling hand slammed down onto the alarm button, the computer calmly announcing to the entire ship that an intruder had been detected.

On one of the security monitors nearby, he could see the backup security teams rushing to their alert stations, MOAs and drones faithfully leading the way. At the sight of all that hardware, he allowed himself a moment to calm down. There was no way anything could get through that much ordinance...

The Corpus comms officer stared at the screen and, sitting in that calm little pool of terror just this side of absolute gibbering insanity, wondered if it would help if he hid under the desk.

They probably would have been okay if it weren't for the Tenno's sword being on fire, he mused, as the upper torso of the last remaining squad member flew past the security camera. It seemed rather unfair to him, really.

The Tenno had been worse than a monster, worse than some rabid beast that tore through his comrades like they were paper. It had been... Graceful. Majestic. It had practically danced through the Corpus forces, twirling and pirouetting amidst the arterial spray as it cut down man after man with deft, precise strokes. It seemed to take pleasure in it.

The door behind him hissed open and he found himself turning to stare at it despite himself, even knowing the horror that was about to appear. The hard, steel-like chitin covering the Tenno's feet clicked loudly on the steel floor, like a soldier's boots on parade. It approached slowly, casually; completely unafraid of him. He couldn't blame it. It's sword was actually still dripping blood, the sound echoing horribly throughout the dead ship. He stared at it, transfixed, as the Tenno brought the tip up mere inches from his face to point at him..

"I d-d-d-" He stammered, unsure how to react, unsure what it wanted. The Tenno cocked it's head, staring at him curiously... Or at least, he assumed it was staring. How could you tell, with nothing but a blank, emotionless faceplate as a guide? How could the damn things even see?

The Tenno inclined it's head, apparently having lost interest in him. Instead, it gazed enigmatically towards the security feeds - room after room of blood-soaked carnage, wrought by the creature's casual, unhurried deathdealing.

The creature let out a strange hiss, sounding almost like a satisfied sigh... Although it had no visible mouth to make such a noise. Did they even need to breathe? It leaned past him, reaching out one long, chitinous talon. The officer's head rotated of it's own accord to stare as the creature pointed at the feed for cargo bay B-2. Turning its head to look down at him expectantly, the monstrous entity tapped the monitor, twice. Then its arm curled back to tap at it's own chest in the same manner. There was a moment's silence.

The comms officer shakily drew himself to his feet, leaning over the desk to inspect the feed. The only thing in the entire bay was a long, cylindrical container, previously under heavy guard - before the security forces had been so thoroughly decimated, at least. He stared blankly at it for a second, wondering what on earth the alien entity had been trying to impart to him. Behind him, the Tenno raised it's sword to strike.

Funny, he thought, as his face constricted into a manic little smile. It was almost the exact same size as the Tenno.. And they had said there were life-signs inside it, hadn't they?

God, he mused, mere milliseconds before the blade fell. Imagine if there were two of them...

Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed it!

Very interesting. Nice style, captures your attention. I do like the idea of Tenno's motives being completely unknown to other factions, though I must agree, killing unarmed target seems a bit cruel. However, there are many of Tenno, so among those warriors, there could be some bloodthirsty killing machines, which would explain player's actions...