Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Infested Scarier

simeo77

I was playing infested missions and I thought... this should be scarier.

I mean, these are creatures who take over other lifeforms and mutate. I would imagine to make infested missions darker. Make the flashlight more useful/needed.

Probably thinking along the lines of Doom 3 type scary when you play an infested mission.

Thoughts?

Note: I'm not the type of guy who tends to play horror type games. I just thought with the concept of what infested are... the infested missions should be scarier.

Edited by simeo77

They ARE scary.

They walk with their back and head flailing behind their backs and Ancient's arms can trespass bodies and walls. While Chargers will rape you 'til you bleed and they all make funny but scary noises.

But when Stalker shows up, you know you're going to be fucked - literally. Them lights start to flicker and then a creepy whisper comes over next to ear and you poop your pants - or in this case, your armor.

Edited by JRMC

I'm terrified by Infested as they are now, I'm not sure my heart could take a whole lot more. It's true about Stalker also, he (it?) adds a horrifying touch for sure.

Interesting about the mention of Doom III... I've often noticed it's influence throughout the entire game - which is a good thing! Especially the infested missions, the D3 is strong there. Love it!

S#&$ son

Doom 3 wasn't scary

DOOM was scary

the first time you got caught in a room and the lights went out and all you could see was the muzzle flashes from shotguns and the glow from imps fireballs while hearing all the growling/snarling/grunting/screaming OMFG

and then the pinkies and their nastier invisible cousins

that S#&$ was real terror

and now im thinking about the first time you see the cyber-demon and brain.....

whoa

lol wow I didn't realize. I don't know but the only thing that makes infested scary for me is when somebody on the team has enemy radar and see all those red dots on the minimap.

Maybe I'm getting numb to it? I remember when I first started the game I couldn't handle infested. Now they're one of my favorite to fight! I just keep wishing they freaked me out more. Even my wife was like "That scares you??"

I only had the Stalker hit me up (literally) once. :\

I just hate Ancients because they die so hard, not because they scare me.   :(

Edit:

the first time you got caught in a room and the lights went out and all you could see was the muzzle flashes from shotguns and the glow from imps fireballs while hearing all the growling/snarling/grunting/screaming OMFG

THAT'S what I'm saying! Make the lights go out completely sometime so we have no choice but to rely on the flashlights. Let's hear a few screams in the dark. That sort of thing.

Edited by simeo77

S#&$ son

Doom 3 wasn't scary

DOOM was scary

and then the pinkies and their nastier invisible cousins

and now im thinking about the first time you see the cyber-demon and brain.....

whoa

Ug, you know that one really cramped maze to get to the yellow key in episode one? The first place you run into a Demon? Still can't handle it. I think that part made me cry when I was little.

The infested were never really scary for me. They tend to come from predictable directions, so it's hard to not be prepared. 

Personally, what would make them scarier/more tense is if they came at you from the ceilings and walls too. No more sweeping glance at the floor to know that you're safe. There might be some waiting in ambush in the top corner of a room, or rushing at you by climbing on the ceiling/walls. It'll make things feel a bit more claustrophobic than if they all charged at you from ground-level.

Plus, people never seem to look up.

But when Stalker shows up, you know you're going to be fucked - literally. Them lights start to flicker and then a creepy whisper comes over next to ear and you poop your pants - or in this case, your armor.

..so is that why Trinity looks like that?

I think the maps should be more infested in order to emphasize the power that the Infested have.  Seeing helpless Grineer pinned to the walls with slime or corpses of previous Tenno hanging from the ceiling dripping goo onto the floor.  Right now, it's just that fuzzy grey stuff.  It doesn't really do much in my opinion.  Maybe they plan on releasing infested maps sometime that are just slimy corridors and huge egg sacs (pop em for loot!) hanging around.

I think the maps should be more infested in order to emphasize the power that the Infested have.  Seeing helpless Grineer pinned to the walls with slime or corpses of previous Tenno hanging from the ceiling dripping goo onto the floor.  Right now, it's just that fuzzy grey stuff.  It doesn't really do much in my opinion.  Maybe they plan on releasing infested maps sometime that are just slimy corridors and huge egg sacs (pop em for loot!) hanging around.

..and motion trackers? Game over, man!

What would terrify me is if, on occasion, doing an Infested rescue mission resulted in you opening the hostage's cell and being attacked by some horrible Infected version of that hostage. Actually it would be cool in general if some rescue missions turned out to be traps.

The flashlight thing... Sure, but I'd hope it's optional or something. That sort of thing would give me a massive motion sickness headache. I'm lucky enough that Warframe doesn't trigger it most of the time. Maybe somewhat better drops for enduring it? Haha.

I would actually prefer some sections of the ship/mining facilities to have no lighting at all, just pitch black. Hard to see whats hitting you and whats there without some light. If possible, it'd be even neater if the minimap would just scramble to all hell for a few seconds while infested come after you, leaving you, both literally and figuratively, in the dark.

You know it would be scary if we have:

- A unit that can collect the dead bodies of other infested and reanimate them.

- Replacing lockers and containers with Infested sacs, so when you approach they may burst out randomly.

- An infested that can move on wall and ceiling.

- When there are mixed enemies (Grineer and Infested, Corpus and Infested) some dead Grineer or Corpus will be reanimated into infested.

- Replacing lockers and containers with Infested sacs, so when you approach they may burst out randomly.

- When there are mixed enemies (Grineer and Infested, Corpus and Infested) some dead Grineer or Corpus will be reanimated into infested.

Reanimating dead bodies could potentially be very interesting (but a pain if you do it wrong). What about devouring corpses? Kill it first, or it only gets stronger as you kill everything else.

What would terrify me is if, on occasion, doing an Infested rescue mission resulted in you opening the hostage's cell and being attacked by some horrible Infected version of that hostage. Actually it would be cool in general if some rescue missions turned out to be traps.

The flashlight thing... Sure, but I'd hope it's optional or something. That sort of thing would give me a massive motion sickness headache. I'm lucky enough that Warframe doesn't trigger it most of the time. Maybe somewhat better drops for enduring it? Haha.

Another way to go about the hostage thing is a mini-boss which appears by suddenly grabbing and brutally murdering the hostage. Followed by a "Change of plans, exterminate all life" from Lotus.

The infested crawling on walls and ceilings seems to be a very common request. I hope the devs pick up on that one! Truely would make you freak out having to always look up or around. But make it only attack you if you see it! So it's targeted your warframe and follows you around. Eventually you have about 5-10 of the crawlers following you and finally you turn around and/or look up. Total collapse.

Lights are a serious thing I believe. Flashlights so definitely be optional and there needs to be a lot less light especially in certain areas. Imagine you're walking in a hallway towards the J3-Golem and then the door opens to his room and.... lights out.

I think the more appropriate word may not be "scary".

More like "atmospheric".

It doesn't necessary have to affect the gameplay (difficulty or flow).

I suggest explorarion of audio, which seems to be the "key". When I think back and compare most of the other atmospheric games, seems like it is the sounds and audio that stands out (assuming that the visual are not too far apart).

Even using this game as an example, frankly speaking, Stalker sounds scarier than he looks or behave. If he just appear and attack the players, he may be treated as "just another heavy/boss".

Seeing helpless Grineer pinned to the walls with slime or corpses of previous Tenno hanging from the ceiling dripping goo onto the floor.

This brings me back to my original idea about the Infested. Maybe have the Grineer/Tenno that hang from the wall change into Infested when you look at them, then have them come off the wall and chase after you.

Edited by DarthPheonix

How about all that shiznitfested growing out of the floors and walls?

Include some maggot-like bros that appear to be "that scenery", suddenly twitchsquiggle a bit, then rip themselves out and swamp you like rabid squirrels?

Detailedly I'm suggesting that the Giblets Grass *sometimes* uproots and slowly moves toward players, gnawing at them.

It would be like an area-denial mob that's a distraction, meatshield, and environmental hazard combined.

Here's another one:

One bulbous mass of throbbing flesh. Almost as slow as it is disturbing.

They crawl along, seemingly easy to avoid and eliminate.

Except: tentacles.

One or a few tentacles stretch out from the meatball, slithering toward the nearest player,

their purpose being nonconsensual strangulation.

Damage the body, the tentacles start to hustle. Damage the tentacles, they recoil, while the body shuffles faster.

Ideally attack both at once to effectively stun the whole thing.

Edited by Denninja

I think the effect of the infested could be increased by having them pulsate or spasm or something of that kind. Making them more slimy or something would probably be great too. Those crawlers for example could leave a trail of bodily fluids on the ground. Apart from that I find the ancients to be straight out disappointing. Sure, they are intimidating, but not actually scary. The developers could take some inspiration from the usual horror fare for those. The scariest thing for most players is probably when something is behind them, making that specific noise that no other enemy in the game makes. To list two especially recent famous cases: The creepers from minecraft with their hissing before exploding and probably taking the player with them. The Slender game built up on that feeling of being hunted which should ideally be generated by the infested.

I think the more appropriate word may not be "scary".

More like "atmospheric".

It doesn't necessary have to affect the gameplay (difficulty or flow).

I suggest explorarion of audio, which seems to be the "key". When I think back and compare most of the other atmospheric games, seems like it is the sounds and audio that stands out (assuming that the visual are not too far apart).

Even using this game as an example, frankly speaking, Stalker sounds scarier than he looks or behave. If he just appear and attack the players, he may be treated as "just another heavy/boss".

You're absolutely right. The stalker is much scarier to me than the infested. Mostly because of the anticipation. I hear him, but I don't see him 'until it's too late'.

Even Corpus scare me more because the velociraptor scream the MOA's make in the distance. I know I'm about to be swamped in 'oh crap'.