Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Infested Scarier

simeo77

You know it would be scary if we have:

- A unit that can collect the dead bodies of other infested and reanimate them.

- Replacing lockers and containers with Infested sacs, so when you approach they may burst out randomly.

- An infested that can move on wall and ceiling.

- When there are mixed enemies (Grineer and Infested, Corpus and Infested) some dead Grineer or Corpus will be reanimated into infested.

So.. uh...

Basically Dead Space?

I have seen enough Hentai to know that this is a bad idea.

I have seen enough Hentai to know that this is a good idea.

loljk

There's plenty of monsters in gaming that have tentacles yet aren't "sexual".

If you're getting dirty thoughts from the concept it's your fault.

I think the effect of the infested could be increased by having them pulsate or spasm or something of that kind. Making them more slimy or something would probably be great too. Those crawlers for example could leave a trail of bodily fluids on the ground. Apart from that I find the ancients to be straight out disappointing. Sure, they are intimidating, but not actually scary. The developers could take some inspiration from the usual horror fare for those. The scariest thing for most players is probably when something is behind them, making that specific noise that no other enemy in the game makes. To list two especially recent famous cases: The creepers from minecraft with their hissing before exploding and probably taking the player with them. The Slender game built up on that feeling of being hunted which should ideally be generated by the infested.

I agree with everything except for the Slender bit. Slender is not scary at all. A tall guy in a suit is following you at night, big deal. Granted, he has no face, but still... not scary.

Devs should seek inspiration from the sound design of Dead Space for the atmosphere/creepiness of the infested levels and also have enemies pop out at random from vents. Also, they should look at the possibility of making solo missions more creepy by increasing the length and having you be alone for longer with like false sound alarms and such.

I agree with everything except for the Slender bit. Slender is not scary at all. A tall guy in a suit is following you at night, big deal. Granted, he has no face, but still... not scary.

Devs should seek inspiration from the sound design of Dead Space for the atmosphere/creepiness of the infested levels and also have enemies pop out at random from vents. Also, they should look at the possibility of making solo missions more creepy by increasing the length and having you be alone for longer with like false sound alarms and such.

how about the "flat man"? looks normal from the front, but paper thin and near invisible from the side. You thought the front is clear, then "it" turned 90 degrees and suddenly "pop up" 3 m from you...

A good discussion here. Silent Hill was, for me, the scariest game I had ever played... until Silent Hill 2 lol.

Our sound guys regularily patrol the Sound Feedback subforum on here and it might find its way to them quicker if you have any specific suggestions for that aspect :)

I think turning to Dead Space for atmosphere would be a good idea; the idea of a ship deserted of all life save for these abominations out for your blood...the atmosphere for that was something that Dead Space did well.

That said, I would not agree with using Dead Space's mechanics of reanimating dead Infested.  The Infested are bad enough with their numbers as it is, I think reanimating them would bring fifty different kinds of not-fun.

A good discussion here. Silent Hill was, for me, the scariest game I had ever played... until Silent Hill 2 lol.

Silent Hill wasn't that scary because its story depressing, rather than scary.

I would say Dead Space but the third game of its series totally wrecked the scary suspense and story. (e.g.: Ellie! Ellie! Ellie! Ellie! Ellie! Ellie!) Nothing scary, either way.

And Amnesia was pretty decent but not scary but rather a fantasy quest, through a demented world. It had its fun jump scares but that's all.

I can't really think of any scary game that does not use the same method. Creepy surroundings, mostly composed by rust, old furniture, dark mood and jump scares.

I think the more appropriate word may not be "scary".

More like "atmospheric".

It doesn't necessary have to affect the gameplay (difficulty or flow).

I suggest explorarion of audio, which seems to be the "key". When I think back and compare most of the other atmospheric games, seems like it is the sounds and audio that stands out (assuming that the visual are not too far apart).

Even using this game as an example, frankly speaking, Stalker sounds scarier than he looks or behave. If he just appear and attack the players, he may be treated as "just another heavy/boss".

Our sound guys regularily patrol the Sound Feedback subforum on here and it might find its way to them quicker if you have any specific suggestions for that aspect :)

Since I made the original post, I reposted in the sounds forum per your suggestion to add to the infested sounds to make the mood scarier. I think audio is big to help set the atmosphere as has been said but to compliment the audio needs to be a few map changes as well. There have been a lot of great suggestions in this topic and I think a strong look at the map design of infested needs to be had.

Thank you staff for taking note! :D

Thank you fellow players for awesome suggestions (keep pushing for it and making points!)

I really like the idea of making the Infested scarier. Sure, you enter the level and there are wierd pustules growing on the walls/ceilings/floors and spores moving around, but thats all ambient. I would like to feel like im about to get mobbed by hordes of infected creatures, not brace myself for a melee grind to the core of the level. Not to say that the current levels are bad, they are great, but it doesnt feel scary/eerie enough.

Now I'm not saying make the Infested like something out of Dead Space or like the Flood from Halo (which is what i first thought when i saw them.) But yea ideas like wall/ceiling crawlling enemies, burrowing enemies, dim rooms, and hostile environments could make Infested maps more interesting in my opinion. Not being able to rely on your radar to see enemies adds that sort of psychological effect to expect the unexpected, and enemies jumping out at player from the walls or pop out of the floor could be surprising.

Anyways I really like some of the ideas posted here :D and I really hope the developers catch on to them and really give us a scare.

You know it would be scary if we have:

- A unit that can collect the dead bodies of other infested and reanimate them.

- Replacing lockers and containers with Infested sacs, so when you approach they may burst out randomly.

- An infested that can move on wall and ceiling.

- When there are mixed enemies (Grineer and Infested, Corpus and Infested) some dead Grineer or Corpus will be reanimated into infested.

NO REVIVE, hasen't anyone learned that medics are the most pain in the &#! creatures on the enemy team. Thankfully the healerancients barely do anything.

Wall and ceiling yes pls, infested sacs, sure (and maybe babies pop out and start clinging to you)

And no again to reanimation, there is nothing more annoying than having to kill an enemy you just freaking killed

Had a situation where I had my setting on dark in a infested mission and Stalker spawned at me with 2 people behind me and 1 rushing ahead for the next data mass hack. Had the intel, too dark to see and having Stalker chase me in infested? Yea.... pretty much scared as hell because of it lol

Best thing to do to make Infested scarier is to turn the brightness down enough to barely see and just go into the game with medium to low rank weapons/frames.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt and the idea that I do realize this is a game focused on action and not horror.

While the term "Scary" is subjective, I would like to see more distinct looking infected. Runners, Leapers and Ancients, to me, just look like big blob things. Their powers make them a threat but visually, it takes a lot out of their punch.

Chargers and crawlers are good examples of somewhat creepy designs. A human head upside down on the body, more feral beast with human features, and a simple human design, crawling relentlessly after you, respectively.

While I would not want to see an exact Necromorph or Pyramid head in Warframe, I wouldn't mind seeing designs similar to the ones seen in Deadspace and Silent hill, basic humanoid shapes and features but twisted and nightmarish versions of them. Just enough to feel a connection to the human side while also unnerved by the grotesque "Monster" side.

Just my two cents.

Switching to the subject of the infested levels themselves, I feel the lighting needs to be played with. Perhaps much darker, while focusing on the flashlight for sight. What makes me not want that, however, is that I realize this would push a somewhat strictly action game to be slower and thus, ruin the good pace it has set for itself.

Edited by Haldos

Needs moar like this

CH02_MedLabWaitingRoom.jpg

tumblr_mddfxvnx7A1qgvvtno1_500.jpg

dead_space4.jpg

BloodyHall.jpg

What i'm trying to say is that it needs more blood, gore and leftovers of corpses in different space ships and space stations. Also since the space ships/stations have been abandoned for quite some time (i'd assume) add some rust textures and dirt here and there.

Needs moar like this

dead_space4.jpg

BloodyHall.jpg

What i'm trying to say is that it needs more blood, gore and leftovers of corpses in different space ships and space stations. Also since the space ships/stations have been abandoned for quite some time (i'd assume) add some rust textures and dirt here and there.

Ew no. If the ships have been abandoned for a long time, then any remains would have significantly decayed. We're talking suits of armor with little more than puddles of putrid muck. 

Besides, I thought the major revulsion factor of the infested wasn't that they slaughtered everything in sight, but that they infected everything. Isn't that the whole idea of the term "technocyte"? A universal virus that can inhabit even inert things like machines and solid surfaces? (ie the wall/floor fungi). Surley if that's how the infested function, then it's going to absorb all available biomass. There won't be any atmopsheric piles of bodies, because they'll all be running at you sprouting tentacles and trying to eat your face. 

Needs moar like this

dead_space4.jpg

BloodyHall.jpg

the left-over corpses? you were fighting them...

I think some of what you guys are suggesting is also in this thread in Gameplay Feedback (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41946-new-mission-type-virulent-infestation/ )

Some things I would like to see as far as maps go, is higher meat moss (the stuff that grows from floor/walls in Infested missions) with infested that hide inside of it. Think Jurassic Park with the tall grass and the raptors. You know there's something in there. You know it wants to kill you. But you don't know where it is. You don't know where it's coming from. You don't know when it will attack, how, where... But you know it will. I think that would be a great addition to infested levels. Maybe have it up to waist high on the warframes consistently or even chest/shoulder high. 

Also, does anyone else hear cicada sounds in some of the infested sound bites?