Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Things That Are Good: Nightmare No Shields

Muminidas

First of all, I'd like to thank DE for this "no shields" type of Nightmare missions.

Personally, I am not really into any of the Nightmare gameplay, but recently there was special Blaze mod alert that I decided to do, mainly because I was totally bored. I began to do it solo, which soon turned out to be not so good idea, since it was Spy (my standard Loki was running out of energy very fast and at the last terminal random enemy shot actually hit me taking my last "life").

My second go was with some random players, here's where the real fun began.... 
For a very long time I've never seen full squad so motivated to do the alert, non of the members rushed ahead like crazy #$&(%, but all of them kept together, using every power they had to support others. It's was hard alert, few shots were 'nuff to take down high health frames. I was Vauban, I loved how my squad waited behind doors/walls for the enemies to enter my Bastille just to take them down safely. Mag pulling small groups of enemies and ulting larger groups. Nekros Soul Punching corpus techs which could pose a threat. 

You may say that's nothing special, no shield nightmares are easy pie, but for me .... this co-op feel that I've not felt for a very long time in Warframe was amazing. I am here in Warframe for over a year, I must admit that I usually do Void runs with the best teams possible, just to get the "shiny reward".

However, doin'nightmare alert with random team, where one mistake could mean the end and everyone had to cooperate with others. Yay! This is what Warframe is about! This co-op.....

Nightmare missions have so much potential, not many players do them 'coz of their rewards are not compelling enough. Also, some other nightmare gamemodes like lowered gravity or decreasing energy ( at least those are ones taht I remember) don't give us a challange. This is the way to increase the game's difficulty, through nightmare missions such as no shield mode, but to encourage ppl to play them, they need rewards that are worth the risk and the amount of time. As a result, more ppl would experience situations like this even with random players, where everyone has to cooperate. 

Way to increase the enjoyment from playin' Warframe? Through challange and cooperation?

+100000000000............

I've been asking on these forums for over a year that DE release NM challenges from the RNGejus maw.  But, so far, no luck.

The fact that NM challenges are trapped behind RNGesus comes from a POV that effects various parts of the game negatively in my opinion.  The player's satisfaction is always being subordinated to arbitrary and tangential game play decisions or the expectation that it is a better business decision.  I am not convinced that POV is valid.  I do not think that is the best way forward.  I do not think it would make the game characterless or unprofitable to undo that thinking.

I think the way forward is to empower the player to enjoy the game and provide convenience.  I do not think a one size fits all or arbitrary approach is the best approach.  Choice and convenience is the best approach. 

And it would not render the game devoid of character.  The artists will make sure the game has plenty of character.  And, the game has the character that the players choose individually from the choices provided.  If they are satisfied with their choices then they are satisfied with the game and it's character.

I main valkyr, so no shields don't really affect me. The energy drains screwed me up until my syndicate gave me Team energy restore BP. Valkyr doesn't really tank with no energy.

Also co-op tends to come naturally when everyone is working for the same goal, and doubt whether they can do it alone. Nightmare missions are good like that because if you lose your ally, you lower your chances of succeeding.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

The real question is: What is missing from the normal maps that prevents this kind of natural coop?

And how do we get the game to the point where people want to do this on every level, not just nightmare mode?

Edited by Volume

The real question is: What is missing from the normal maps that prevents this kind of natural coop?

And how do we get the game to the point where people want to do this on every level, not just nightmare mode?

Lower missions are easy and we go prepared to higher missions.

Give more EXP when you're together. That might give people to stick together.

For me though no shields in Nightmare is just cheap imo. As it just favors certain Warframes where as the rest are out of luck.

Loki and Zephyr are Warframes that'll do just fine without them. As Loki can have enemies ignore him as long as he wants. Zephyr can deflect all bullets coming in and this makes it rather easy.

But you can't build your Warframe around the negative effect as the game will not say what you'll get. Which is bad. So you just have to go in blind.