Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Repair System?

H0PE

I was thinking -again- that I would love to use my gazillion tons of basic resources to something. Could you invent a simple, low cost repair system maybe for weapons, stations, dojo and our ship? Like:

-after each mission weapon degrades 1% so we would need like 10 Ferrite (primes could use +rubedo as well) to get back weapon "health"?

-dojo could have some constant maintenance, like weekly 200 Ferrite + Rubedo per room

-Liset could use maintenance too, similarly like weapons above.

-Same for warframes

-Obviously stuff on 0% wouldn't be destroyed but would render unusable.

Sometimes mat sink is not a bad idea and it would add to the immersion for the game... You know, being "real". :)

OR

Let me sell the tons of stuff I accumulated. even on low price as 1credit ppcs. I mean I got so much stuff that I would build a death star seriously.

It was suggested couple of times, the thread ended up burning from all the "flaming".

Going to say no, it's a gimmick it adds frustration not realism.

I think the sharp decline in Kubrow usage showed DE that we detest maintenance...

Myth Confirmed

The problem with the idea is that for the ppl that speed run a lot of mission to farm for example neural sensors or prime parts those ppl would have the weapons degrade in no time and the dojo would be a pain in the neck since it would be more expansive for moon clans wich have 4 or 5 floors full of rooms and a lot of reactors wich would end up be rly expensive

I play shooter games to have fun and blow stuff up - not micromanage stuff. If I wanted to micromanage, I'd play an RTS. As it is, we're already doing a lot of stuff pre and post missions (pick a frame, select loadouts, set your syndicate stuff, etc). I'd hate to do all that AND repair my frame and equipments. So, no.

I was trying to think of the point of this other than as a resource sink. I mean firefall you have the regular currency repair costs because your gear is damaged each time you have to respawn, and that serves to put some sort of cost on respawning. Here you've already got the revives system so that isn't necessary, instead it becomes a way of penalising people for not playing and paying for that upkeep? Which would get problematic, we've already seen that with Kubrows as the others mentioned above.

I think it comes down to the fact that you want your millions of alloy plates to be something beyond a big number that shows how much void you've done (and we can all understand that), but that probably isn't the best mindset to have when looking to implement a mechanism to punish players over time. Besides how expensive would the daily repair bill have to be to make even the slightest dent for established players like you?

An alternate way of getting rid of those stupidly large inventory stores would be to expand the argon crystals system of decaying (but over a longer period, say halving every 3 days), but that wouldn't exactly be a popular move either and would be problematic when it comes to plat purchases of resources (and DE will want that kept in for plat from the whales or new players unaware of relative values)

Kubrows, yuk...

Well I didn't mean 100k per 40% maintenance cost that is for sure. :D

I miss the feeling now more than ever that we got ship and hubs -along with dojo- that I'm in a universe that I build stuff but nothing breaks.

And as I mentioned before. I got craptons of materials that is insane to have in the first place so I really would love to just spend it on something or get credit for it.

Any suggestions would be welcome to the topic.

Edited by H0PE

We do need resource sinks, but I am not sure adding a maintenance system would be the best way to go about it. There have been suggestions of a lossy resource exchange system, in which you pay up 200 Nano Spores to receive 50 Polymer Bundle, or 20,000 for 200 Rubedo. Such a system could be used to entice players to lose common, useless resources in exchange for more important or desired things.

No. There's a reason my Liset is loaded with frozen Kubrows. Maintenance isn't something I find fun. At least not in my shooters. I have hundreds of thousands of certain materials, but I just don't see that as problem that needs solving. Resource management isn't why I started playing Warframe.

The upkeep system might not really be a good thing. I mean look at our poor space doggies... I rarely see anyone use kubrows, because the upkeep itself, more than the cost, is so off putting and simply not worth it that Sentinels are still uncontested. So adding more of it... YeahNo. How about releasing new weapons/gear that require all these pointless resources instead of creating new, rare or decaying ones? We all know that these are just here to give platinum purchase a boost, and it's quite understandable, but it also has the vicious side effect of rendering many things, including several resources, completely pointless/useless.

Edited by Marthrym

NO.

No "your items is damaged" ******** in this game please. It's the reason my cute Kubrows remain in the freezer, because if I cannot play Warframe for an extended period of time for unexpected reasons, those Kubrows are dead.

Resource sinks yes, but I though about stuff like a community effort to rebuild lost relays.

Here's the thing about a repair system. It might be a great way for you to feel like your massive stockpile of resources is serving a purpose. But what about new players? When you're first starting out, trying to get your resources for the first few weapons and Warframes is quite a bit of a grind. Adding to that grind with a mandatory resource sink is going to be immensely frustrating to a new player. Especially if it also involved some sort of platinum service that inhibits equipment degradation because we all know that'd be an inevitable side effect. No, all the problems with micro management aside, there's no need to make the acquisition and maintenance of gear any more difficult than it already is.

Now, while a durability / repair system is probably one of the worst ways to address the resource inflation of veteran players, there is definitely an issue. DE has tried to fix this by introducing the Argon Crystal, which works - in a way. While it does require even the most seasoned players to go hunt for the ever decaying argon crystals whenever a new piece of gear comes out, it's really just a way to avoid the issue without actually addressing it. People still have hundreds of thousands of nano spores, the only difference is that now every piece of gear that comes out requires the one resource no one can stockpile.

So what do you do about it? Well, people have suggested an uneven resource exchange, but I'm not entirely sure that's going to happen. You could implement a trader that lets people sell resources for credits - but I'm not entirely sure everyone else is as constantly broke as I am. You could let people donate resources to their syndicates - which, depending on the ratio of resources to standing could either be considered to be a waste by most, or be much *too* effective - besides, there's only so much standing you'll ever need even if you heavily sell syndicate mods and weapons. And lastly, you could implement items to build that require a lot of resources - particularly those that veterans have in vast amounts - but are purely cosmetic in nature. Maybe a syadana made out of nano spores? A custom Liset hull made out of alloy plates? It wouldn't have to be too extravagant, just expensive enough to put a dent in the stockpiles. The only major problem I'd foresee with that approach would be that - no matter that it's purely cosmetic - newer players would definitely complain about the huge resource cost. But then again, when do players not complain about something

Edited by monagan

People are already yelling at Kubrow maintenance which is actually dirt cheap.

Since it is credit sink only.

Maintenance using actual resources ?

Oh please, the RAEG will be so huge that not even heat repellent can do anything.

Edited by fatpig84

I think such mechanic would add immersion, but it would just punish newer players, older players would eventually demand an auto repair switch, and would end not remembering that the weapon suffers damage, i think its hard to imagine a proper way to implement such system