The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blocking - Horribly Underused.

Icaelus

So, Blocking. An effective tool when you're looking for better cover and to get out of the open. The biggest problem is that if you want to retreat backwards, you can only face backwards and then your back will be open to all gunfire, same as to moving to the side and such. Currently as it goes, the only effective use of blocking is when you're trying to advance ahead against enemy first to melee them and then it might be a bit better to just sprint.

What I propose for changes to the block system is to have the block button lock your camera and block angle in the direction you were facing, allowing you to strafe backwards or sideways, whichever you wish. This will make blocking so much better.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Icaelus

the devs have already mentioned that block is kinda just.... there. like they didnt even really know what they wanted to do with it.

i think they intend to look at it again at some point and make it more useful.

i cant think of a single situation where using your stam to sprint away is less useful than blocking. or just rolling away. or just killing them even :/

I only ever used block in the manner you described, to tank some fire just enough to move forward and behind cover, so yes, locking the camera view and position according to where you're facing before the button press sounds like an excellent idea.

Guys, you're missing the point here. Block has a very useful purpose and I find it odd that no one realizes it. The entire reason block exists is so you have something interesting to spam when in an elevator.

I do it just to see the cool as hell animation of sheathing my melee weapons, tbh :P. There's almost nearly no reason to use unless there's better cover ahead and you want to take less damage while moving up to it.

It doesnt block enough of the incomming damage, it doesnt match up with the camera like it should, it doesnt do enough to stop melee from enemy.

Its a great idea it just needs to be amped up. Perhaps even if mods could factor in to its function.

Some folks would say scrap block altogether but we are looking at something that could really help warframe expand its unique identity.

Edited by Ronyn

I honestly didn't realise the game had a "block" key until yesterday, or is it new?

It's kinda hidden.

By default, it's mouse 4. My mouse doesn't even have a mouse 4. Jeez.

I set it to mouse 3 and I've only ever used it once seriously.

It would be nice if a well timed block could stop some of the more annoying interrupt attacks, I bet more people would use block if it stopped you from getting knocked on your arse by a shield lancer, Moa stomper or a heavy grineer ground punching. It should also be able to stop attacks from ancient infested, more people would use block if it stopped them from getting disrupted. It should also throw enemies off balance if you time it right, so if you are about to get hit by a charger or a grinder, and time your block right, the enemy looses balance, giving you an opportunity to get a sneaky hit in.

Block could also be used to deflect thrown weapons, say they made the grineer\corpus grenade throw animation a little more obvious, and if you block just before the grenade hits you, you ninja flip kick it back at them instead. 

They could also make block part of the asked for prone recovery mechanic, say if you press block+jump after being knocked down, you get up quicker.

Edited by CosyPigeon

I like your proposition here's some of my own.

-Make it so blocking doesn't drain stamina when you hold the button but aren't actually blocking anything.

-Allow either a well timed block or just a block in general to actually block an enemy melee attack.

-Allow block to function during the stand up animation

-perhaps implement a block/counter system for enemy melee attacks.Time it right get a nice free melee attack on your aggressor.

edit: forgot to mention I use block quite often it's just not very good for stuff. I mapped it to middle mouse button.

Edited by Drasiel

It's great when you want to take less damage while charging an enemy to melee them.

I think it takes stamina to make it impractical for you to stand still and block. This is also why--maybe--you can block while running, sliding and wall-running. It's to encourage well-timed use while on the move...er...maybe.

But yes DE has said they are not satisfied with it--almost as if it's an unfinished placeholder...maybe...

NOTE: It seems Fury (fire rate) mods speed up sword swing during deflection. 

Edited by RawGritz

KABEHASIEI や KABENOBORI ができるのにやや防御や回避にスタイリッシュさが足りない

攻撃モーションをガードorローリングでキャンセル出来るぐらいはほしい

I think it takes stamina to make it impractical for you to stand still and block. This is also why--maybe--you can block while running, sliding and wall-running. It's to encourage well-timed use while on the move...er...maybe.

I don't mind that it uses stamina while I block things, It just irks me that holding my weapon in a guard position with no actual blocking going on drains stamina. : \

Block is AWESOME cause with some weapons You can go all Jedi Knight and deflect lasers back onto Corpus!

try it out!

Ive noticed that some weapons are better at blocking than others.

problem is that without stats listed on weaposn we have no idea which weapons are better or worse...

I use block A LOT..I love the idea, its just a bit weaker than it needs to be.

What they can do is leave the E button as attack but also have a primary melee mode where you can use E as block and left mouse key to swing more freely while moving around and right mouse key to use special moves like jump +plus right key to do the downtown slam move or right key charge with the space bar afterwards to do an upper cut with a following up with an air combo slash by button smashing the Left key as quickly as possible. also add a mid air dash to exit out of the combo or move freely but that would make is complicated. Also sliding with primary melee mode should be able to let us slide and start swinging away with the left key or power slide with the right key. just a basic idea of RE Amping the melee.

We Are ninjas after all are we not lol.

I like the fact i can easly bust out my swords when I'm holding a rifle but sometimes I just Feel like I just want to go blades in only.

What they can do is leave the E button as attack but also have a primary melee mode where you can use E as block and left mouse key to swing more freely while moving around and right mouse key to use special moves like jump +plus right key to do the downtown slam move or right key charge with the space bar afterwards to do an upper cut with a following up with an air combo slash by button smashing the Left key as quickly as possible. also add a mid air dash to exit out of the combo or move freely but that would make is complicated. Also sliding with primary melee mode should be able to let us slide and start swinging away with the left key or power slide with the right key. just a basic idea of RE Amping the melee.

We Are ninjas after all are we not lol.

I like the fact i can easly bust out my swords when I'm holding a rifle but sometimes I just Feel like I just want to go blades in only.

I might have to add on this idea since there isn't a PvP ring or a hang out practice dojo the players can hang out in but I think if they do add something like this they should also add a counter blocking system which would allow players to block and counter with a massive critical and or break block with a charge attack. but block should be implemented so you can run freely and block at the same time til the opponent or npc breaks your block which then you stagger for a second til you get your avatar back on its feet.

I like your proposition here's some of my own.

-Make it so blocking doesn't drain stamina when you hold the button but aren't actually blocking anything.

-Allow either a well timed block or just a block in general to actually block an enemy melee attack.

-Allow block to function during the stand up animation

-perhaps implement a block/counter system for enemy melee attacks.Time it right get a nice free melee attack on your aggressor.

edit: forgot to mention I use block quite often it's just not very good for stuff. I mapped it to middle mouse button.

why not just use block without stamina at all since it cant block all the shots its not even going to be op 

plus it will be a lot easier if it did not use stamina so are able to sprint and your weapon soaking some damage 

well if u suggest a counter it would be best not to do some fancy animation that would take too long and u would take too much damage 

i just hope the devs change the blocking in patch 8 so atleast its usefull 

also blocking enemy fire takes out your stam so fast in like 20 hits from grakata its gone this should be change major

Edited by hes2krazy

It doesnt block enough of the incomming damage, it doesnt match up with the camera like it should, it doesnt do enough to stop melee from enemy.

Its a great idea it just needs to be amped up. Perhaps even if mods could factor in to its function.

Some folks would say scrap block altogether but we are looking at something that could really help warframe expand its unique identity.

that would be a great idea but it should be separate since those mods are ganna take up alot of space for a meele weapon or your warframe 

that would be a great idea but it should be separate since those mods are ganna take up alot of space for a meele weapon or your warframe 

I wouldnt want to every suggestion I mentioned to come from a mod. Some stuff, like making it match up with your crosshairs, should be standard.

I only suggest that a mod focused on increasing effectiveness of blocking seems like a reasonable thing to have.

It's possible, if useless, to strafe and move backwards while blocking; you hold the aim button.

However, at the rate you're moving you'd be taking less damage just jogging backwards.

I would like to see a melee weapon that had terrible offense but let you block 100%. Maybe just a straight up shield?