Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentinel: Utility, Power, Or Both?

(PSN)ToastyFairy01

So, I've have all the Sentinels except Wyrm Prime (I'm lazy, okay?) and I noticed something about all my Sentinels. They are all maxed, as well as their respective weapons, except... None of them have ever gotten a kill. There is not a single kill amongst all of my Sentinels and it is then that I realized I only use them for utility. Carrier is my preferred Sentinel, as it vacuums up everything to me (although this can be aggravating at times when all that potential ammo is lost) and otherwise picks up things out of reach (when they fall off the map, for example). The last time I looked at my Carrrier, it had 18,806,724 experience (with a 70% use rate) and its respective weapon had 12,142,473 experience (with a 59% use rate)... and no kills. I've always had the mentality of "if the Sentinel can kill it, I can melee it to death" so I never bothered with suiting them up for offense.

Do you use them for utility, offense, or for both? If for only offense, why?

Not sure if this is offense or utility, but I started suiting them up for causing blast and impact procs a long time ago. The stun makes for a nice invulnerable save when some jerk teleports next to me or spawns and tries to hack me apart while I'm exiting a terminal. At low levels this will kill stuff but higher up it's just for the CC.

Sentinels are primarily Utility.

they can still kill things though.

Sweeper might kill something, if it's at point blank Range.

if you really want your Sentinel you kill things, i guess you're probably best off with Stinger.

though Sweeper would work well against Infested i suppose.

just keep in mind that most Sentinels have a 30m Targeting Range on their Targeting Precept once fully upgraded, while Carrier is 10 meters, Helios is 10 meters (even with it's Targeting Precept), and Djinn is 60 meters.

Edited by taiiat

Sentinals .. they got your back when you're hacking.

I'd say Vacuum as a utility and to make picking up items less of a chore.

Other then that I use sweeper as a last ditch 'stitch this jimmy' if someone gets too close, 4 forma's and a ton of blast damage knocks almost anything down.

Much better then my Kubrow which died when I went on holidays for a couple days.

(Thanks silly Liset computer thing .. never shuts up but even open a can of dog food ..)

I use Carrier as my main Sentinel, because rare drops have the annoying tendency to fall behind places I cannot get them if I do not bring Carrier. Plus, not having to directly walk over each and every pickup when I am sprinting around as Nova madly trying not to die is nice.

Otherwise, I always use a maxed Guardian on all my Sentinels, because it basically doubles your shield capacity. And Coolant leak for short range slowdown. Then I use either the Sweeper or Deth Machine Rifle, depending on what primary I am using to avoid mod conflicts, for maximum damage output and status procs. Sweeper in particular is useful for taking out shield drones and those annoying Mutalist Osprey.

And, when I am leveling a new weapon in low level missions, I use an un-modded burst laser so my Sentinel does not steal my kills and affinity.

I just had a look at my sentinel stats.  I have all of them, and none of them have any kills registered.

But I had a look at the stats for Sweeper (my most-used sentinel weapon) and it has approximately 41k kills with 6k kill assists.

I prefer a bit of both - offense and utility.  Sweeper has a potato and a few forma, and it's been fantastic at keeping things off my back when I'm hacking or reviving.

Helios sentinel and kubrows are strong offensive, but for the rest I don't even bother potatoing or leveling up a 2nd set of weapon mods for them - just straight utility.  Maybe one day I'll get around to it, but it's such a low priority.

Edited by SleepingSentry

Carrier sweeper max status blast + something + pierce trough and fire rate. Not like they do much dmg but they can help you sometimes. And its funny when they kill stuff at low lvls.

Compared to my raksa kubrow that was hurting from apathy its a nice to have a bubble of death, anything get near me and i hear bang bang bang bang.

Purely for utility.

I see people potatoing formaing their sentinels, i just can't seem to get myself to do that and actually work on their survivability and attack power like that theres too many other things to use formas and potatoes on