Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coptering Must Either Go Or Be Toned Down

Vadrigos

Actually no, coptering was not an intended mechanic & definitely wasn't meant to appease the parkour system. 

Edit: It was a player discovered byproduct of the slide attack & fast weapons. It was even named by the players. They kept it because it became a "core" part of movement & a staple in the game. 

Edited by Rexlars

You're making it sound like coptering is beyond your control or something.

OT:

This has been brought up numerous times, and while I'm definitely in favor of a more realistic parkour system, the answer from the devs (multiple times) is a solid "no". Coptering is one of those things that makes WF gameplay feel unique, however illogical it may be. Because of that (and because, more importantly, people greatly enjoy it), it's unlikely to ever be removed.

Actually no, coptering was not an intended mechanic & definitely wasn't meant to appease the parkour system. 

You're kinda half-correct. Coptering started out as a borderline-exploit that everyone (devs included) abused gleefully, and since most people enjoyed it, the devs decided to officially turn it into a feature when they overhauled melee mechanics in U13. As of April 2014, coptering is no longer a "glitch" or an "unintentional mechanic".

Edited by SortaRandom

OT:

This has been brought up numerous times, and while I'm definitely in favor of a more realistic parkour system, the answer from the devs (multiple times) is a solid "no". Coptering is one of those things that makes WF gameplay feel unique, however illogical it may be. Because of that (and because, more importantly, people greatly enjoy it), it's unlikely to ever be removed.

Not a "solid" no. I remember Sheldon said he wanted coptoring removed, and one of the other devs didn't like it either (can't remember which).

What they need to do is fix physics in this game. Coptering is only a thing because of the relationship between attack speed, attack animation, and the game's physics. This same problem occurs with air sliding and wall catapulting.

Now, because people absolutely love going fast, I suggest to fill in the gap that removing coptering leaves with Warframe-specific mobility as well as baseline movement speed buffs across the board. Except for Loki. He's fast enough without coptering to begin with.

You're kinda half-correct. Coptering started out as a borderline-exploit that everyone (devs included) abused gleefully, and since most people enjoyed it, the devs decided to officially turn it into a feature when they overhauled melee mechanics in U13. As of April 2014, coptering is no longer a "glitch" or an "unintentional mechanic".

You must've missed my edit. 

Not a "solid" no. I remember Sheldon said he wanted coptoring removed, and one of the other devs didn't like it either (can't remember which).

Oh, so there's still hope, then. XD

I'm sort of expecting coptering to stay in the game, though, considering their treatment of it back in U13. I'm still hoping we get a smoother, more intuitive way of moving around when Movement 2.0 comes around. XD

EDIT:

You must've missed my edit. 

Hey, we saved our changes at about the same time. XD

Edited by SortaRandom

Have you tried to master it?

This.

As it is right now I can copter from one point in a map and land perfectly exactly where I planned on the other side. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither do space ninjas, or power suits that are supercharged with potatoes. This discussion has been had more times than I can count, and sure, there's a few people that want it removed, but the majority of players (And developers: "Melee is for coptering" -[DE]Glen every 30 seconds) have learned to use it and understand that it is a powerful and useful game mechanic. Removal would ruin the game for a lot of players, just so that what, you don't have to learn to use something? or you don't get confused by the questionable logic in a game about space ninjas?

This.As it is right now I can copter from one point in a map and land perfectly exactly where I planned on the other side. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither do space ninjas, or power suits that are supercharged with potatoes. This discussion has been had more times than I can count, and sure, there's a few people that want it removed, but the majority of players (And developers: "Melee is for coptering" -[DE]Glen every 30 seconds) have learned to use it and understand that it is a powerful and useful game mechanic. Removal would ruin the game for a lot of players, just so that what, you don't have to learn to use something? or you don't get confused by the questionable logic in a game about space ninjas?

Actually coptoring is one of the few things that makes sence in the game. Read some SCIFI.

As it is right now I can copter from one point in a map and land perfectly exactly where I planned on the other side. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither do space ninjas, or power suits that are supercharged with potatoes. This discussion has been had more times than I can count, and sure, there's a few people that want it removed, but the majority of players (And developers: "Melee is for coptering" -[DE]Glen every 30 seconds) have learned to use it and understand that it is a powerful and useful game mechanic. Removal would ruin the game for a lot of players, just so that what, you don't have to learn to use something? or you don't get confused by the questionable logic in a game about space ninjas?

What comes first before anything else in a game is fun gameplay, so I can understand that people want coptering to remain in the game. But what is it about coptering that people love so much?

From what I gather, it's speed. Warframes simply move too slowly for peoples' taste. Are there other ways of achieving speed that looks cool and makes sense within the Warframe universe? You bet there is. So why not go for something like that rather than settle for coptering? I'm talking about what the developers can develop, by the way. Not what players can currently do.

Edited by Aspari

What is it about coptering that people love so much?

Preposterous speed bursts, flight, and the ability to use melee to hurl yourself across the map with incredible accuracy and precision. A simple speed boost to warframes wouldn't work, because you don't have that same ability to leap chasms or burst yourself with speed. Running like that would be completely uncontrollable, coptering is about aiming and shooting yourself across terrain, not trying to pilot a fighter jet through a corn maze.

Because I've had just about enough of being launched across the map at random intervals with no rhyme or reason. Even this mechanic, which they've tried to use to supplant parkour, is broken beyond belief!!

There actually are ways to completely control where you land and how much speed you get in a swipe. Try putting some effort in learning how to control it before calling out for it's removal. Many experienced players use it very often and removing it would upset a great many people, myself included.

Edited by spidey2092

Do you hate fun?

The "Do you hate fun?" argument was also used by a bunch of people to defend Trinity's godmode, Nova's "press4toinstantlydestroythemap", and a bunch of other various overpowered items.

There are plenty of agreeable ways to defend coptering's existence in this game, but really, accusing people of hating fun isn't one of them. :/

Preposterous speed bursts, flight, and the ability to use melee to hurl yourself across the map with incredible accuracy and precision. A simple speed boost to warframes wouldn't work, because you don't have that same ability to leap chasms or burst yourself with speed. Running like that would be completely uncontrollable, coptering is about aiming and shooting yourself across terrain, not trying to pilot a fighter jet through a corn maze.

Speaking of fighter jets, I think that's what propulsion like that really needs. The main reason why I don't like it is because it looks stupid. Adding something like jet propulsion somewhere on the Tenno's body and having it activate when they do a specific action (coptering) would visually make sense. One game that did this very well was Vanquish. The speed in Vanquish is much faster than any coptering that can be done in this game, and in that game it makes visual sense.

I think some of us who are against coptering would shut up about it if it made sense visually. To me it just looks like a bug with the game's physics.

Because tenno are covered in a full body energy shield, it would have to have coverage on the feet/hands. Keeping up a barrier on the feet would remove the friction from sliding, allowing the momentum of the weapon to propel tenno forwards.

Yeah, that's not how it works. Try swinging a baseball bat while standing on a frozen parking lot and see how far you launch yourself.

If you want to propel yourself by swinging a heavy object, then your only choice is to let go of the object. Otherwise you're just going to stay in the same place because no external force is being created (save for a negligible amount of air resistance).

Edited by SortaRandom

-Snip-

Are you telling me you think that strapping rockets to our warframes will look LESS silly?

I don't know about you, but I look stylish as hell when I copter then go into a slide, fly into a room kicking all the enemies in the face. Personally I just think the silly super speed legs should go, but that's an animation issue, not a mechanics issue.