Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coptering Must Either Go Or Be Toned Down

Vadrigos

Removal would ruin the game for a lot of players

unlikely, if such a system was traded for something as part of Warframes, rather than Weapons.

that still provided the Utility that Players are looking for.

Players aren't looking for the SpinDashes, they're looking for that it gives them. if that Utility was somewhere else, they'd do that instead.

Because tenno are covered in a full body energy shield, it would have to have coverage on the feet/hands. Keeping up a barrier on the feet would remove the friction from sliding, allowing the momentum of the weapon to propel tenno forwards.

Shields only stop high-velocity impacts.

not low-velocity ones.

why?

if they attempted to stop low-velocity impacts, you'd have two outcomes:

- your Power Source or your Shield Generator explode or go dead from trying to move the universe

- you are unable to ever touch anything ever again while the Shield is active. i hope you've got a button inside your suit you can toggle it off with, otherwise you need to either wait for your power source to run out of juice or you need to get shot until it breaks so you can turn off your shield so you can take your suit off, hold a gun, walk on the ground, open a door.... anything.

your Sci-Fi sources are terrible.

Sci-Fi knows that trying to stop all contact between the Shield and every object near it is a completely waste of energy and makes them unusable.

that's why hardcore Sci-Fi knows that you make Shields that only stop high-velocity threats.

unlikely, if such a system was traded for something as part of Warframes, rather than Weapons.

that still provided the Utility that Players are looking for.

Players aren't looking for the SpinDashes, they're looking for that it gives them. if that Utility was somewhere else, they'd do that instead.

Shields only stop high-velocity impacts.

not low-velocity ones.

why?

if they attempted to stop low-velocity impacts, you'd have two outcomes:

- your Power Source or your Shield Generator explode or go dead from trying to move the universe

- you are unable to ever touch anything ever again while the Shield is active. i hope you've got a button inside your suit you can toggle it off with, otherwise you need to either wait for your power source to run out of juice or you need to get shot until it breaks so you can turn off your shield so you can take your suit off, hold a gun, walk on the ground, open a door.... anything.

your Sci-Fi sources are terrible.

Sci-Fi knows that trying to stop all contact between the Shield and every object near it is a completely waste of energy and makes them unusable.

that's why hardcore Sci-Fi knows that you make Shields that only stop high-velocity threats.

That is correct. But if your telling me that a full body shield is emitted from one single point, yeah I just don't see that being likely. A multi point shield system is more fesable. So yes, in a multi point system you could turn emitters off and back on.

So yes, in a multi point system you could turn emitters off and back on.

ofcourse. but you wouldn't need to, because it wouldn't be trying to repel the freaking planet you're standing on.

you'd just leave it on because it would ignore the ground, ignore your chair, and ignore your guns. Et Cetera.

Yeah, that's not how it works. Try swinging a baseball bat while standing on a frozen parking lot and see how far you launch yourself.

If you want to propel yourself by swinging a heavy object, then your only choice is to let go of the object. Otherwise you're just going to stay in the same place because no external force is being created (save for a negligible amount of air resistance).

I just tried it. You're right.

Now I need to try it with my Shield Generator running. Obviously you can explain exactly what the physics are for my Shield Generator, you know, the shield generator that allows me to take a rocket to the face and survive.

Pretty sure that if I stood on your frozen parking lot and took a rocket to the face with no shields, no mods, no Void powers that were granted to me by my frail humanoid body being mangled by the Void Energies and no Frame to protect me, I'd die.

Tenno's managed to upload a firmware update to their Frames. Now they can use Shield Physics to copter. Much better explanation then the frozen parking lot.

How long have you been playing this game? Coptering has been around forever and it's the signature move of Tenno. I don't understand why would someone call it ugly. It's beauty and grace mixed into one plus the incredible feeling of flight is amazing. I can fly from one point of the map to the other with just one swing of my Zorens.

The point is, it's not easy to do (bet that's why you noobs hate it so much) which is why it's so rewarding. Who the heck uses slide attack for damage anyway when normal melee, channeling is already good enough? Have you not heard of stances?

Zoren coptering is the beautiful accident that DE made. Like Creepers in Minecraft, it's something that defines Warframe. (Maybe not that much XD)

If you have a problem with aesthetics that's completely your personal opinion. Same as how I call them beautiful.

Unless DE makes that kind of mobility available for general use not just on certain warframes I'll keep defending this mechanic until the end of days. Keep your crudy opinion to yourself.

I really hate coptering on laggy levels, because if you fly across the map, then hit a wall, you get stuck there until the 'momentum timer' wears down, which is instant death on high-level defense. Plus, it's never, ever, EVER felt smooth to me. I've tried to master it, and you can only 'master' it so far as you feel like pressing the same combination of buttons over and over to get places. 

To simplify: Movement should be smooth across any and all terrain. Coptering has never felt smooth to me, nor has the slide jump. The air melee also feels 'wedged in' to an extent. I mean, I would love it if there were some kind of visual effect, like with Vanquish (Oh, btw, anyone who thinks strapping rockets to our Warframes would make them look more silly...I pity you.) Maybe some kind of micro-jet-nozzles. Frost's already got his shoulder-vents, why can we' have that on other things?

I really hate coptering on laggy levels, because if you fly across the map, then hit a wall, you get stuck there until the 'momentum timer' wears down, which is instant death on high-level defense. Plus, it's never, ever, EVER felt smooth to me. I've tried to master it, and you can only 'master' it so far as you feel like pressing the same combination of buttons over and over to get places. 

To simplify: Movement should be smooth across any and all terrain. Coptering has never felt smooth to me, nor has the slide jump. The air melee also feels 'wedged in' to an extent. I mean, I would love it if there were some kind of visual effect, like with Vanquish (Oh, btw, anyone who thinks strapping rockets to our Warframes would make them look more silly...I pity you.) Maybe some kind of micro-jet-nozzles. Frost's already got his shoulder-vents, why can we' have that on other things?

... what's your average FPS?

This has nothing to do with the fluidity of movement.

Depending on how Warframe polls for input, it may have everything to do with it.

I have experienced having to wait for the momentum to die down, but only when I air melee or wall right directly into a wall.  Not while coptering, and certainly not after flying over a tile.  Only when I do it right into a wall.

Coptering is an important asset for manuevering around the battle field in melee stance. Without universally accessible mobility tools like coptering concentrating on melee combat would be too cumbersome. Mastering and combining the use of these assets is quite satisfying. Coptering is just one of many such techniques to be discovered in the course of playing Warframe.

Do you hate fun?

"Fun"?  What is it about people who simply want to blast by everything, not even bother looking at the art or how cool things animate, because they HAVE to get to the END OF THE MISSION faster than anyone else?

Fun for me, is taking my time, killing things, looking out the Corpus space windows at the sky box.  Fun for me, is climbing up the walls to find secrets that were placed cleverly.  Finding that nook that few people ever found.

Coptering is the antithesis of this.  It's a mechanic that simply breaks the game by making it into a speed run simulator.  If I wanted a speedrun, I'd go play an iOS constant runner game.

The amount of Applied physics and logic people try to mount on Warframe is funny. It's a game. Have you ever heard of any soldier calling down a nuke after massacring 20-30 people in a row or someone beating a zombie with a Scythe adorned with a reaper's mask ?

NO. Because it's a game. That's the fun. If coptering is removed it would be bad for a berserker-Ichor wielding Frost Prime to Sprint (read: Walk) 400 meters to the extraction where he can melee only once and cross the distance.

The "Do you hate fun?" argument was also used by a bunch of people to defend Trinity's godmode, Nova's "press4toinstantlydestroythemap", and a bunch of other various overpowered items.

There are plenty of agreeable ways to defend coptering's existence in this game, but really, accusing people of hating fun isn't one of them. :/

Yeah but wanting to remove this one actually makes you hate fun. Either give us a more fitting replacement to coptering (TENNO JETPACKS!1!) or just keep it. I'm a fairly new player (since october 2014th), yet, i quickly mastered coptering and other manouvers in the tutorial itself and honestly, the amount of mobility it gave me kept me coming back to this game, i really like being fast and deadly in videogames :P

Yeah but wanting to remove this one actually makes you hate fun. Either give us a more fitting replacement to coptering (TENNO JETPACKS!1!) or just keep it. I'm a fairly new player (since october 2014th), yet, i quickly mastered coptering and other manouvers in the tutorial itself and honestly, the amount of mobility it gave me kept me coming back to this game, i really like being fast and deadly in videogames :P

I do not in fact, hate fun. I hate coptering. If you consider coptering 'fun', I would remind you that 'fun' has various definitions. I don't think Coptering belongs under the column of 'fun'.