The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

<Underclocking Mods> (Mentioned On Livestream)

DreadScourge

With this style of thinking you would usually only need one mod of any type, and if that was the system then it'd also be nice to have some sort of setup so that you don't have to constantly remove mods from items and then put them on the other item you want to use them on over and over again everytime you wish to change weapons or warframes.

One thought here:

I already need only 1 mod, for most part, for all my gear.  The only reason I maintain duplicates, currently, is to have some gear 'ready to go' without juggling mods.  If you are committed to juggling and under-clocking regularly across gear, considering you already paid the costs to upgrade to the high end item?  At moment, you are more likely (for sake of efficiency) to sit on a stack of base items so you can upgrade as many as possible in a batch to conserve their power allocation (as fusing upgraded mods has a power loss, as you may or may not know... I forget the exact number, but something like 10% per tier is lost when you fuse with previously fused mods).

Given a choice between sitting on 20 mods for those rank 10 jobbers or just fusing them into the single object or pair of objects for multi-storage?  The underclock model has some nice QoL benefits at the point of inventory management as well as just combat implementation from where I sit.

There is a good case for still wanting to acquire and have more mods at various levels for parallel usage across gear in this case as well.  I get your point entirely mate but I wonder if you see the counter point I think may trump it?

At moment, you are more likely (for sake of efficiency) to sit on a stack of base items so you can upgrade as many as possible in a batch to conserve their power allocation (as fusing upgraded mods has a power loss, as you may or may not know... I forget the exact number, but something like 10% per tier is lost when you fuse with previously fused mods).

Wait, what? If I upgrade identical mods, rank 0 + rank 0, it upgrades to rank 1. If I then farm later on and upgrade that rank 1 to rank 2, it takes exactly two rank 0s. According to you this should not be possible. What am I missing?

Wait, what? If I upgrade identical mods, rank 0 + rank 0, it upgrades to rank 1. If I then farm later on and upgrade that rank 1 to rank 2, it takes exactly two rank 0s. According to you this should not be possible. What am I missing?

If you take those same four rank 0 mods and fuse each pair of rank 0 mods into two rank 1 mods, fusing one of the rank 1 mods into the other won't quite give you enough energy to reach rank 2. More energy is lost with each subsequent fusion rank.

A part of me likes this idea.

Another part dislikes it.

With this style of thinking you would usually only need one mod of any type, and if that was the system then it'd also be nice to have some sort of setup so that you don't have to constantly remove mods from items and then put them on the other item you want to use them on over and over again everytime you wish to change weapons or warframes.

BUT i noticed that getting all the stuff you want doesn't take really too long, one cool thing is that we have the option to remove mods and place them on other items instead, but we also have the option to not do that. We also have to make the conscious decision that "if i max out this mod, theres a chance i'll have to sacrifice it later for something else" or "i don't want to max out this mod without having a lower level backup" and "i hate switching mods between my warframes and weapons, so i'll just try levelling many mods on each different item i've got till i don't even have to do it anymore"

which adds to game replayability. It's important in a game like this to have something to keep you playing, and right now these mods, and those defense missions alongside with the mods (i mean where better to farm mods right?) are the only thing that still has some kind of grip on me in this game.

Is the idea good?

Yes.

Should it be implemented?

Possibly later when enough late-game content has been added to make up for the huge hours of gameplay that trying to level up mods, and level them up again brings to the game.

Sortof related though, i thought that a better idea would be to allow players to pay like 3 plats for making a mod equip-able on all items that can use it even if it's already in use on an item that's not being used. This would mean income for the developers, and it would also mean that the impatient types or people who just don't have the time to level up multiple mods can simply pay instead to make their life a breeze.

To the point about equipping mods when changing weapons, they should just add a button to unequip all of the mods from the current weapon to make the swapping easier. To take it a step farther, they could add several customizable presets so that you can change the loadout of a given weapon with one click; this would also be good for specializing loadouts for specific missions.

Now to the main point: a lack of meaningful content is not a good excuse for counter-intuitive design. Any player who picks up the game is not going to understand the concept that it might not be the best idea to maximize the level of their favorite mod, and the frustration of having to pointlessly grind up another one of the same mods (and, as mentioned above, losing fusion energy in the process) is much more likely to cause people to quit than lack of content if they've already made it that far (I have 60+ hours into the game and I haven't even come close to finishing everything, so I'm not sure how you can say that getting everything you want doesn't take a reasonably long time).

TL;DR: Grinding duplicate mods is not a substitute for additional content, and lack of content shouldn't prevent the game's core systems from improving.

This is an awesome suggestion for the current Mod system.

Currently I am having to keep level 2 and 4 mods for this very reason.

Of course, the hinted Prestiging of items may make this redundant for Rank 30 warframes and items as the Mod capacity would be effectively doubled for each slot Prestiged.  But the ability to use those Mods on lower level warframes and items could be invaluable.

If you take those same four rank 0 mods and fuse each pair of rank 0 mods into two rank 1 mods, fusing one of the rank 1 mods into the other won't quite give you enough energy to reach rank 2. More energy is lost with each subsequent fusion rank.

Okay, yeah I knew that. But what does that have to do with this suggestion? This suggestion would encourage the opposite of this.

Ohh I think I get it. One of the later posts in this thread suggested you could put a mod in multiple items (you can only use one at a time anyway). Therefore there would be no more juggling and this issue would be a non-issue.

I like the idea.

A little change to make it more user friendly:

0hA2Ior.png

Direct clickinh possible without context menu.

Indicator on "underclocked" modifications with red rectangles.

EDIT:

Also dislike the idea. Why would you ever have multiples of one version? One Mod would be enough. Less to collect - less game time.

Edited by Thypari2013

That would be so sweeeet just dont make it a context menu instead do this:

-slot and unslot mods with right-click

-only show the highest lvl mod of any given type

-upon equipping a mod it is always lvl 0 showing your max lvl with silver bars instead of golden ones

-by right-clicking the silver bar you overclock the mod up to your max lvl showing the current lvl in golden bars

Great post, I made a similar one a while back but it got buried and you made it much clearer with the images- well done!

Personally I wouldn't mind it if decreasing or increasing the rank would cost some credits (much less than fusion of course), similar to how equipping mods used to cost some before U7.

You are correct at the bottom end of the spectra.

There is a power fall off if you do the following:

Take two rank 0s to make a rank 1

Take 4 Rank 0s to make a rank 2

Take 8 Rank 0s to make a rank 3

Given the progression above, you would _expect_ that if you took two rank 2's, you'd make a rank 3.  Not so.  The two rank 2's have had a Fusion loss in the upgrade process, and you would need two Rank 2's plus something extra to make a rank 3.

Officially that power loss happens at every tier, but there is enough 'overage' in the first couple of upgrades to compensate.  

You are always furthest ahead to use 'original' mods in large numbers to upgrade rather than fusing up to multiple mid tiers then fusing the mid-tier items.

Does that clear up the point of distinction?

Okay, yeah I knew that. But what does that have to do with this suggestion? This suggestion would encourage the opposite of this.

Ohh I think I get it. One of the later posts in this thread suggested you could put a mod in multiple items (you can only use one at a time anyway). Therefore there would be no more juggling and this issue would be a non-issue.

The real thing it has to do with this suggestion is that this change means no longer needlessly losing fusing energy because it eliminates the reason to keep multiple non-zero ranks of a mod lying around.

The right fix, imo, would just be to remove the fusion energy loss from higher ranked mods, but that is actually getting off-topic.

Edited by Fredlicious

I really like this idea and should be implemented as fast as possible.

It also makes me realize if this was implemented, I'd have wasted so much time creating multiple versions of mods at different levels.

sperglord.jpg

God damn Rhino Charge, you're all I ever get.

Exactly.

Efficiency is always a desirable component in our game interface and access to mechanics as a general rule. :)

PLEASE README

I feel the need to repeat myself.

This suggestion is an improvement in usability but with a high cost!

When this change would go live, you will always only have 1 Mod of every type at the highest possible rank.

This means having multiple mods with different ranks for different Mod customizations or even lower ranked weapons will be obsolete.

This leads to needing less mods overall.

When you need less mods you can either decrease the mod droprate, which will lead to a worse player experience. Or leave the droprate the same, which will make you have to farm less, which will finally lead to a shorter game play experience.

The only other option would be to increase the cost for fusion. I can't think of any negative aspect right now other than players complaining even though the overall mod need went down. So this would be a MUST when DE considers implementing this feature.

Edited by Thypari2013

PLEASE README

When this change would go live, you will always only have 1 Mod of every type at the highest possible rank.

This means having multiple mods with different ranks for different Mod customizations or even lower ranked weapons will be obsolete.

When you need less mods you can either decrease the mod droprate, which will lead to a worse player experience. Or leave the droprate the same, which will make you have to farm less, which will finally lead to a shorter game play experience.

The only other option would be to increase the cost for fusion. I can't think of any negative aspect right now other than players complaining even though the overall mod need went down. So this would be a MUST when DE considers implementing this feature.

The number of mods you need to grind for is already high enough without needing multiple ranks of a mod. Leveling Redirection to its cap, for example, requires finding 1024 duplicates (you can use other mods as well, of course, but this increases the number required; fusion cores will decrease the number in the long run, but not by that much). Redirection is a common mod, but this only gets crazier when you start to consider rare mods. On top of all of that, they are definitely going to be adding new mods as the game progresses.

In short, I really don't think "not enough grinding for mods" is a problem DE is ever going to have.

PLEASE README

So you want the game to be more grindy?

I for my part want to wait until DE releases mods that are on a higher rarity than "rare" and actually add some actual endgame content to Warframe.

I do know what you're getting at, but making the game grindy is literally just a temporary measure.

Edited by Tyrian3k

You are correct at the bottom end of the spectra.

There is a power fall off if you do the following:

Take two rank 0s to make a rank 1

Take 4 Rank 0s to make a rank 2

Take 8 Rank 0s to make a rank 3

Given the progression above, you would _expect_ that if you took two rank 2's, you'd make a rank 3.  Not so.  The two rank 2's have had a Fusion loss in the upgrade process, and you would need two Rank 2's plus something extra to make a rank 3.

Officially that power loss happens at every tier, but there is enough 'overage' in the first couple of upgrades to compensate.  

You are always furthest ahead to use 'original' mods in large numbers to upgrade rather than fusing up to multiple mid tiers then fusing the mid-tier items.

Does that clear up the point of distinction?

I already replied to this, but anyway...

I am aware of this. But could not see how it applied to this suggestion, and definitely could not see how it would be so important as to make this suggestion not worth adding. Thus my original questions.

From my previous reply:

One of the later posts in this thread suggested you could put a mod in multiple items (you can only use one at a time anyway). Therefore there would be no more juggling and this issue would be a non-issue.

Edited by Akivoodoo

I didn't see the back reply til later, apologies for that.

And apparently my lack of coffee made my point unclear.  I'm totally in favour of the suggestion because structurally I think it makes sense to harmonize and down shift rather than sift through 10 pages of mods.  

Apologies if that was not evident, I'm all in favour of the OP's suggestion, tweaked of course where needed as DE determines for effective implementation.

I think it's a capital idea.